Who is still job searching for the 2011-2012 school year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LMichele, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 21, 2011

I'm still looking : ( Just finished teaching summer school (special ed preschool) so this week I'm emailing every school district near me and sending out lots of resumes.

I just don't know why it is taking me so long to find a job. I've been seriously looking since 2009 (graduated in 2007), have certifications in 3 areas (el ed, literacy, special ed B-9) and have had about 15 interviews but no job. And now, the job prospects are scarce here and I'm worried it'll never happen. I wonder if this is God's way of telling me I shouldn't be a teacher, and I'm not even religious.

-vent over- thanks for listening ;-)

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

I think it's God's way of telling you the economy has crashed. Teachers all over the country have been laid off and are competing for the few jobs that exist. And that NY has ALWAYS been a brutal job market.

Sure, there are things you can do to improve you chances-- having a great cover letter, a solid resume, and working on those interview skills. (15 interviews and no offer leads me to believe that this is the particular message you may want to examine.)

But I don't think God is targeting you for a career change.

Best of luck with those emails. And, after you send them, hit the interview threads, OK?

3. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 22, 2011

I am still looking for a position, but I won't be getting one for the start of the school year. Around here, orientation starts today for the most part. Frustrating.

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 22, 2011

For those of you who are in areas where school has started, what are you doing this school year?

I still have two weeks until school starts, but I have a building sub. position in the school I've been at for 2 years, and I'm also teaching 3 enrichment courses during the week and on the weekends. I tutor, also.

5. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

Still looking here.

Just dropped my son off for the first day of 4th grade and then went to my non-teaching job. :(

6. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

Code:

Oh, I know I have an issue with interviewing. I get so nervous. I'm generally a pretty shy person with people I don't know and I'm just unsure of myself. I've been working on it but I've only had one interview this summer.

7. BlueskyFL

BlueskyFL Rookie

Aug 22, 2011

I'm still looking as well!

I DID have another interview late last week so all my fingers are crossed that I hear great news soon. :)

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

I'm in NY too so school hasn't started for me yet but I'm going to be going back to my TA job if I don't land a teaching position. I also tutor homebound students in my district after school, which is pretty good money. I'm applying for part-time retail jobs right now too. I worked in an after-school program last year.

I love my TA job; I wish it would pay a little more and offer benefits because I could really do it forever I think.

9. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Aug 22, 2011

I am tired and frustrated from job searching. I am sick of resumes and doing everything right but not getting anywhere. I want to hang it up for awhile.

10. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 22, 2011

Unfortunately, I cannot move due to my husband's job, four kids in school, and owning a home - It's not so much a "comfort zone" as a harsh reality that due to my age it will be near impossible to get a "real" job.

11. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Aug 22, 2011

Ok I am back to trying districts where my family is at.

12. belle

belle Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

I have been searching for a teaching job for 2 years and was starting to give up hope. The school year started about 2 weeks ago and I figured I would just sub another year. Then I got called for an interview last week. Today, I got the call to tell me I GOT THE JOB!!! I will be teaching 7th grade ,which I have never done. I am too excited and start on Monday! : ) Keep looking because something will come up! It might just take longer than you ever planned or expect. : )

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Congrats, belle!!

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2011

Congratulations, belle!

15. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

Congratulations belle!!

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

Congrats, Belle!!

17. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 24, 2011

This is my 3rd year searching for an elementary position in a different state. However, this will be my 10th year teaching as an elementary teacher. I would literally think that my chances would be better, but I am searching like everyone else.