Who is still job searching for the 2011-2012 school year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LMichele, Aug 5, 2011.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 5, 2011

I thought we could have our own thread to vent, discuss, etc.

I just e-mailed out 29 resumes to Catholic schools in my area since the offices are closed this week. I also mailed out 25 to Catholic schools in another Diocese on Wednesday. I feel like it's pretty late in the game, even though I still have about a month left.

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 5, 2011

I'm still looking. Some schools here start next week, with all starting by the end of August. I have an interview this morning, and am waiting on a decision from an interview on Tuesday. The principal emailed me yesterday saying he would let me know the decision today, after the last 2 interviews, and thanking me for my patience.

I have emailed resumes to about twenty high school principals over the last week. About five of them emailed me back, thanking me for my interest, so at least they are getting through, but no interviews from those yet.

Good luck to us all.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2011

If you live or can move to the Central Florida area, there are still lots of positions to be filled. :)

5. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Aug 5, 2011

I just started applying in Florida. Can you suggest any areas where I should be sending resumes to?

6. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 5, 2011

Still looking in Southern CA. Districts seem slow to hire out here.

7. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 5, 2011

I'm still looking. I'm just trying to change positions in my district. My hope is to move from Special Ed to Gen Ed.

Good luck everyone! :)

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 5, 2011

I'm still looking. The budget cuts have really hurt the music jobs in Iowa. I'm waiting to hear back from one district but I don't know that I really would even want to work there. It has a reputation for not being the greatest place to work. I'll see if I get an interview and then decide. I will probalby end up subbing and already have 15 days lined up.

9. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 5, 2011

Me!! This will be my 3rd year really looking and I have a special ed certification so I'm hoping it'll be my year. Schools here don't start for another month or so and I've heard many schools hire pretty late so I think there's still time.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 5, 2011

Me! I have an interview on Tuesday for a position I really want, so hopefully everything goes smoothly and I'll be one of the lucky ones soon!

11. AMyers626

AMyers626 Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

I'm still looking! I'm in South Carolina and haven't seen anyone else on the boards from South Carolina that has gotten a job so it's a little discouraging. I have been teaching preschool and I am desperate to get out of there so I interviewed for an after school position with a local elementary school and got that job! So I am excited about that and I am hoping it will help me get my foot in the door.

I am going to try subbing but I tried that last year as well and got maybe two calls the whole year.

12. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

I am still looking also. Two weeks ago, I received a letter of intent from a new virtual school, but it expired yesterday and I have heard nothing from them. I have continued to apply for the past two weeks to no avail.

13. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 6, 2011

Yes, still looking for a REAL job. I did get an offer for a teacher aide but the pay barely covers my daughter's pageant costs. She's my lil star, so I don't want her to give that up.

I did get 2 U (unfair) ratings last year, but I was told the districts rarely check on these. I guess people applying have more experience than me, a Master's too perhaps.

It's frustrating because I'm calling and e-mailing I don't even hear back from 90 percent of the places I apply to.

14. chopork

chopork Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

I'm still looking. I've taken to applying for federal training and education jobs since no school jobs have worked out yet. This is my first semester out of student teaching, so I'm guessing that may have something to do with the hesitance to hire me. I've had two positions not work out, but I know I've sent 30+ resumes/ Applications out. Several throughout the state here, as well as along the east coast (My friend is beginning his first year as a grad student at NYU. It'd be cool to be near him and the city) and along the west. I wasn't holding my breath for any jobs out of state, but thought for sure something would've happened by now. School starts Wednesday!

15. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 6, 2011

Orange county in Florida
    Lake county
    Oceola
    Seminole

16. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Aug 6, 2011

I'm still looking, but there's still hope for me for this school year. I'll hear back from one school on Monday on whether or not I made it to second round interviews. I'm thinking it'll be a long shot, but who knows :rolleyes:. I also have an interview at a private school on Monday.

If I don't get anything its back to subbing another year. This year shouldn't be too bad, I know where to avoid and have a couple schools where I've built good relationships with the kids.

17. highlow405

highlow405 Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

"I did get an offer for a teacher aide but the pay barely covers my daughter's pageant costs. She's my lil star, so I don't want her to give that up."

Great way to prioritize.

18. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Aug 6, 2011

:lol:

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2011

Be kind. This IS a high priority for her, even if you don't agree with it.

20. highlow405

highlow405 Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

I am insulted by this comment because there are people with genuine hardship on this board who would kill for a teacher's aide job. She disparages the job as not being "real" because it cannot support one of the most dispensable and frankly disgusting practices we have in American culture.

21. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 6, 2011

:yeahthat:

She honestly sounds like a troll. :confused:

22. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 6, 2011

Still hoping...I applied to several, but there just haven't been too many posted here in So Cal this year. I'm also still waiting to hear from the AZ dept of ed to see if they'll grant me a reciprocal license there, but I know I've missed application season for that state....I guess it'll be another year of subbing.

23. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

Anyone still looking? I feel so down today and it's hard not to give into that feeling :(

24. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Aug 16, 2011

I am. I know it's really hard and I go into periods where I get really depressed. This is my 4th year looking and I'm really beginning to lose hope. I have an interview tomorrow so hopefully it will go well.

25. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Aug 16, 2011

I am still looking too. You are not alone. I just applied again to the district I did my student teaching in and subbed in. I also might have a lead in another district south of me. I am not saying where or how far along I am in the process because I do not want to jinx anything at this point. I accepted a job with Sylvan yesterday though! I will be subbing for more than one district this upcoming year. Those I can say I am doing for sure.

26. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

Good luck! Is it with the same district we spoke about via PM?

27. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 16, 2011

I have not even had an interview but the district where I live and student taught had so many applicants for so few jobs.
    Until then, I will sub as much as possible and try to meet as many principals as possible and hopefully will get hired next year.

I am fortunate that I do not have to work to meet our family budget, and perhaps someone got a job that really needs it more than me. That is the way I feel about it anyway.

28. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Aug 16, 2011

nope it's a different district. have you heard from that district yet?

29. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

Nope. They said they didn't anticipate calling back for at least 2 weeks, and tomorrow will be one week. They said they had administrative positions to interview and fill as their first priority. I saw on their Board of Ed. minutes that a P and AP from the same school resigned at the end of the year, so I'm sure that's more important. They also had a bunch of positions, tenure and year long replacements, to fill so I guess they have to sort out who is going where of who they interviewed. We'll see.

30. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Aug 16, 2011

Good luck! I hope it works out for you. I know it's hard but I'm trying to remind myself that I am lucky to even be called for an interview. I know many people from this area that haven't even been called once. Hopefully good things are coming our way and soon!!

31. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

I agree! I have had more interviews this year than the past two years combined. I also keep reminding myself that if not comes up, I still have my perm. sub. position to go back to in a building I love. Good luck!

32. Mrs_Garland

Mrs_Garland Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

I haven't found a job either. I do have a surprising interview tomorrow at a school that isn't too far from my house, so hopefully that goes well.

33. alifoo

alifoo Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Still looking. Although, I've pretty much given up hope for this year since schools around here have already started. I had an interview yesterday. The principal said he would let me know either way today, but I didn't hear anything. I'm all set up to sub though, so I guess that's better than nothing. I think it being my first semester out of student teaching has something to do with not getting a job. It's pretty discouraging though.

34. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Even though school has already started, dont lose hope. Our local system started Aug. 1st and I have an interview tomorrow! It has been difficult to me because of budget cuts since I have a Master's and experience. I cost more than new teachers and that has really hurt me in my job search. I am hoping this is the job I get.

35. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 16, 2011

If you guys who are still looking for a job would post your certification area and the location you are looking at, it may help some of us who know about available jobs in our area. I know of some jobs available in my area but haven't seen anyone from around here in the particular certification areas.

36. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Aug 17, 2011

Here is my information.

Demographic: Austin, Central Texas, Region 12 and 13
    Certification: EC-6
    Working on ESL certification

37. jwl

jwl Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

still looking

Demographics- Central PA
    Certifications, ESL, English 7-12, SS 7-12, Elem Ed

38. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

I'm still in the game. The teacher's aide position I interviewed for didn't pan out. I did get an interview though for a teacher's position at the school near where I live. It's an extremely hard school to get into. There will be tons of people applying. I know a lot of people there; it's where I went to elementary school. Talk about pressure! Every time I think about it, I want to puke. :lol:

39. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 20, 2011

I have another interview on Monday, so we'll see what that brings. If nothing comes up for this year, my P has said I'm more than welcome to go back to my permanent substitute position at the same school I was at for 2 years. I love my building and the opportunity it gives me, so I'm OK with going back (although my own room would have been nice this year!)

I was a bit worried about money for this year, as all of my student loans have now come due & I'll have to start paying for my own health insurance this year. I teach a Saturday class, and just picked up 2 more weekday classes so that will help a lot.

Let's keep our heads up :)

40. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 20, 2011

Connecticut
    Middle School Cert., grades 4-8: English
    Middle School Cert., grades 4-8: Social Studies & History
    Music, PreK-12

Been searching for a contracted position for 4 years now :-(

41. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Aug 21, 2011

:hugs:

You've probably heard this before, but it's best you step out of your comfort zone and get certified in surrounding states. If you've had those certifications for four years without a job, then CT must be a brutal job market.