who is still at their first school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nasirahc83, Dec 26, 2010.

1. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 26, 2010

Hello Everyone,

I am just curious if anyone is still at their first school and been there for awhile? How has it changed or not change over the years? What has kept you there for so many years?

I am first year teacher and I often wonder if I could actually make a career at my first school. If I could be here for 20-30 years particulary for the lack of advancement since it is private and adminstration which I know in my young career could change to "better" in another five to 10 years.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2010

I am still teaching at my first school; this is my fifth year. I have remained because when I compare my school to others nearby I simply prefer my school. I love my colleagues. My salary is better compared to the other districts. And I'm somewhat comfortable. :)

That said, if I am still teaching in five years I want to be a closer district.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 27, 2010

I am in my first school.

And I mean that literally, as I went to school here K-12 as a student, worked here after my first go round with college as a sign language interpreter (4 years), and now work here as a teacher. This is my 6th year as a teacher.

I'm a lifer.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2010

I'm in my second school.

I taught at my first school, an all girls school, for 7 years.

When the Religious community I respect a lot opened up my school in 1987, I applied. I didn't apply anywhere else, since I was content where I was.

I was accepted. And aside from 5 years as a SAHM to raise my kids, I've been in the same school since 1987.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 27, 2010

I started teaching 25 years ago in the district from which I graduated. 25 years later I'm the A.P. at the HS from which I graduated.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 27, 2010

I am at my 3rd school. I taught one year at my first (temp. job), 14 at 2nd school (only applied to 3rd to move into the district with my husband for our kids), and the last four-currently in 5th year at 3rd school. I miss my 2nd school. I don't fit in with my 3rd school.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 27, 2010

I'm back at my first school. I went to school k-12 in my district too. When I got out I subbed here and tutored. Then I bounced around to three other districts. I have been back in my district for four years now.

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2010

I am in my first school and am in my 24th year teaching. I left for one year and the director called me in October of that year asking me to come back, so I did at MY salary requirements. It's a private school.

It is possible to get complacent and tired of what you're doing. Education to me is the key to prevent that from happening. Look at what areas of education are interesting to you and take classes, workshops,etc. Just keep learning and don't ever feel like "I know it all" and your teaching will always be invigorated and refreshed.

I don't know if I'll stay at my school forever, but I do know that I keep learning and I keep becoming a better teacher because of it.

10. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 27, 2010

I guess I can sorta relate to you because I work in the private sector and the salary is so low. One of my co-workers told me she worked in the public sector for 12 years and worked at our private school for 11 years her private salary is no where near to her public salary. I would like to stay here for another few years but I also don't want to live in the current state forever....:confused:

11. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 27, 2010

Also my job does not offer healthcare.....

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 27, 2010

I am at the same school going on year 4. I probably would have left a year or two ago but I had a child and "hoped" things would get better. They haven't. I've given the district long enough. I have to leave for the sake of my family.

13. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 27, 2010

I'm in year three at my first school, and I love it! I cannot imagine being anywhere else. It's definitely not always easy, but the staff is so supportive. I don't think I could find a better P, AP, and group of teachers anywhere else. This county pays around the same amount as the other counties in the area.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

I am in my first school, but I'm only in my second year teaching! I did my final practicum at this school, and they kept me. I will be here for a while!

15. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Dec 27, 2010

I am in my 13th year teaching with the same district....my first year I was split between two schools in my district teaching special education. My second year I was moved to another school in my district and I have been there ever since. I have thought about looking else where but there really aren't jobs and my district seems to be doing pretty well compared to other districts.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 27, 2010

I'm in my third year at my original school and don't have any plans to go anywhere. My dad, however, was the one who went K-12 through his school district and then taught there for 40 years, retiring the same month as his high school reunion. I sent him a graduation card instead of a retirement one. It seemed more appropriate. If I had stayed in my home town, I might have tried to follow in his footsteps, but my life took me elsewhere.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 27, 2010

I'm at my second school. My first school was a living h%ll and I couldn't fathom another year. At my current school I am much happier, but I don't see myself staying too much longer. Not because I'm not happy there, but because it's too far from a big city and I don't want to live in the suburbs forever.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 27, 2010

I was at a private school for 7 years and left to go teach in Georgia. I taught in Georgia for 3 years (until my visa ran out). This is my 4th year at my present school. I love my program and every year it is getting better but it is to far from my home. We moved to our new location 3 years ago (my principal could have fought the move but didn't) and I hate it.

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

I'm at my third school but could have easily stayed at each one -

taught at my first school 2 years then stayed home for 4 years with my kids

taught at my second school for 2 years and loved my school, the people I taught with and my students but it was 45 minutes away

my current school where I have been for the past 14 years and is only 5 minutes from my home and consider my second home :), posted an opening and as much as I loved where I was teaching, it was in the best interest of my family to be closer.

I could have easily seen myself teaching at each one of the schools I left for my entire teaching career.

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

I'm in my fourth year and I'm back at my first school...

First Year - Here
    Second Year - Here/Another school (half time at each school)
    Third Year - Sept.- Dec. at a different school/Jan - June back here
    Fourth Year - Right back here.

As you can see, they can't get rid of me! I love it here, but it's very likely I'll get bumped out of the school one of these days.

21. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 27, 2010

I am at my third school as well. My first school I was a student teacher, then I worked at the second one for three years and now I'm at my current school. I think what will determine if I build my entire career at one school would be the principal/administration.

At my last school, we had a poor administration that allowed parents to dictate how academic and behavioral issues were handled.

I stayed there as long as I could, but it began to wear me down and I couldn't take it after awhile, so I left.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2010

I'm not at my first school. I'm in my 4th school right now, and don't see myself staying for the long haul. My mentor teacher at my first school has been there for 35 years, in the same grade level and even in the same classroom!

23. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 27, 2010

I am in my 4th school. First school - private school. second - as an aide, third as a maternity replacement. and now this one for 15 years :) I found my happiness here :)

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 27, 2010

Thankfully, your current placement sounds much more supportive and protective of you.

25. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 27, 2010

I am at my first or second school, depending on how you look at it. :) This is the first and only district I subbed at and the only district where I really wanted to work. When I received my certifications, there were no openings so I took a mat. leave position at another district last year. This year, there was an opening in this district and I was very fortunate to be hired. I can't tell you how ecstatic I was to be hired here. I told everyone that I felt like I won the lottery. That being said, there are definite issues here and sometimes I get frustrated with the penny pinching. Basically, if I want anything for my classroom other than very basic office supplies, I have to buy it myself and we're absolutely devoid of any and all technology. I don't even have a TV or an outdated overhead projector. But I love working in the town that I live in and where my kids go to school. I certainly hope to be a "lifer" but only time will tell.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 27, 2010

I'm still at my first school . . . kind of.

I began in 1993 as a substitute teacher. I worked in both the high school and middle school. The next year I worked part time at both schools. The following year I worked at the middle school, where I've been ever since. During that time I've worked as both a reading teacher and a language arts teacher in grades 6, 7, and 8. Mostly I've taught 7th grade language arts. We moved from the old 7-8 building to the new 6-7-8 building in 1998. I've been in the same classroom since then.

I stay because it feels like home. It's the same community where I grew up, and most of our teachers are people I have known my whole life.

27. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Dec 27, 2010

This is the same way with me. I'm actually a 3rd generation alumni at the school where I teach. I started teaching two two days after I graduated, which makes me teaching for 14 years now. I won't be leaving until I retire. There have been a lot of changes in the time that I have started - all of them good. It is exciting to see how we have improved and how the problems have diminished. What is neat also, is about 1/2 of the staff that I started with are still there. We all started within 2 years of each other as rookies. Now we are the veteran teachers. We have gone through 6 administrators and have capitalized on the good they offered us, while ignoring the bad and rising above it. We're blessed right now to have an amazing principal who has caused us to grow in ways we always wanted. I'm proud to teach at the school I attended as a child and am excited to see all the growth.

28. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 27, 2010

That sounds great!. Yeah, I wanted to work in the school,I attended mostly as child but i am not sure if life will take me back there.

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 27, 2010

I could have written the same thing. My great grandparents on down to my children have attended my school. All our our graduating pictures are hanging on the walls. It makes you really feel a sense of connection. I take it VERY seriously when a student makes our school look bad-and I let them know why!

As far as administrators, it is sometimes hard when you get someone you know is just using your school as a stepping stone. Right now, we have 2 great administrators. They have their faults, but when they get along-ahem-they do good things for our school.

We're about to embark on a huge addition to our school, and I am so proud to be here for it! I don't see myself teaching the same thing until I retire, but I do see myself at this school for the long haul.

30. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2010

I got hired here 25 years ago, and I'm still here...amazing as that is.
    Why? It's 5 minutes from home, nice community, and teachers who don't transfer out once they are here. So we all know each other. There are plenty of other schools nearby; it's just that my particular school has a great reputation of being both high quality and very friendly.

What's changed?
    1. Five principals. From student population of around 350 to 750 back to 300.
    2. Population from economically disadvantaged, to mid to upper class, and back to economically disadvantaged.
    3. When I started, we had no hispanic kids. Now we are about 30% hispanic.
    4. We housed a pre-K for about three years, and then it was phased out and into the local preschool businesses.
    5. From two computers per classroom to a computer lab and 4 computers per classroom to next year having laptops for all students grades 1-5.
    6. One wing torn down and one wing built. Carpet in, carpet out and tiles in, and next year carpet back in.
    7. New roof. When I first started teaching, the roof leaked so bad that the custodians put the big cafeteria containers under "waterfalls" and rotated around emptying them. The office staff covered their desks with plastic in case it rained over the weekend. It wasn't unusual to see the principal there early swishing water out the front door.
    8. I am now beginning to teach the children of former students. They don't move from the community, so you get to see them as adults.

I hope I get to stay here until I retire. I don't know. The new principal doesn't like me very much. We'll see.

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2010

I'm in my 4th year at my first school. I absolutely love the school, the students, the parents, and the faculty. I could see myself staying there forever, if I could pick the whole town up and move it 500 miles north, so it was closer to my family. Unless I meet someone soon, I don't know how much longer I can live so far from home. It makes me sad, though, because I know my school is so awesome, and the thought of giving that up for the slim chance of finding that same thing elsewhere is very scary...

32. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 28, 2010

I am at my first school. I am in my 6th year as a full-time teacher. I subbed for two school years and then went back to school to get my endorsement for SPED. I worked as a para while I was getting that SPED endorsement. I don't think I will be there for my entire career. I like it, but change is sometimes good for me.

33. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 28, 2010

Alice, did you like it at the all girls school? There is a middle school in my area that separates boys from girls entirely. I have wondered what that would be like, teaching all girls.

34. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2010

This is only my second year, so I am at the same school. I can see myself staying here long term. We'll see.

35. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Dec 28, 2010

I am *back* at my first school. I taught here for 13 years, then took 10 years' maternity leave and now I'm back!

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

I loved it.

It was a small school-- only about 800 kids. It was the perfect place to learn to teach.

I left only because my current school opened. Had it not, I would have remained happily at school #1 to this day, as many of my former coworkers have done.

At this point in my life, school #2 is a much better fit. But for those first 7 years, I was where I needed to be.

37. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Dec 28, 2010

I've been at my first school for 10 years. Three generations of my family have gone to this school, so for me, it is home. I love my colleagues, my students, and the feeling of family in our building. It also doesn't hurt that it's about 4 blocks from my house; I make it to school in less than 2 minutes!