Who is qualified to run New York City schools?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Genmai, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

3. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 12, 2010

I've been reading about this, and it's really so insulting. In order to teach, I had to get an extra degree despite the ones and advanced academic classes I had, take about 7 state tests, interview a lot, write essay statements, go through observations, and whatever else yet she can be in charge of the education for over ONE MILLION students and I couldn't teach 25 without going through hoops with fire around them (Some hoops were justified, some not, that's another issue though).

It's completely insulting to teachers and the field. I guess this isn't anything new though?

She has never taught or subbed, tutored? Private schools only, so she has no public school experience.
    I just think it's crazy. But this is the future.

Maybe I can be chancellor one day since they prefer people with little to no teaching experience. :eek:

4. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Nov 12, 2010

I am a NYC teacher, and this seems to be everyone's attitude toward this. I am not only insulted, I am concerned about what will happen to the largest school district in the country. Cuomo (who was just elected) has already announced that he plans to cut the education budget.

5. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Nov 12, 2010

This is just the story of American schools. I can't name a single U.S. Secretary of Education who had been an educator at some point in his/her life. Maybe someone should blame THAT system instead of immediately blaming teachers for America's "failing schools."

</rant>

6. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Nov 23, 2010

7. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 23, 2010

In my honest opinion, I'm not sure that anyone is qualified to run NYC schools.

You need the skills required to manage a MONSTER organization with a huge budget and a diverse set of problems. (That's Fortune 500 CEO skills.)

You also need the skills of a senior educator who understands teaching and understands it in an inner-city setting.

I've never heard of an individual who has mastered BOTH of these skill sets.

8. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Nov 23, 2010

You would almost need someone with superhuman skills.

Someone like...

Superman?
    :p

Sorry. It had to be done.

9. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Nov 24, 2010

Superman? Cathleen Black doesn't wear a cape, but she does have a very nice bracelet.
    ;)