Who is living the dream life right now?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsammieb, Apr 13, 2020.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 13, 2020

Ok, don't get me wrong. I am sad that school is so crazy right now. I am sad that I don't get to see all my students and I hope they are doing the work I am assigning. But.... well, I love working from home. I don't have to deal with their behavior, I don't have to repeat myself a million times. I don't have a student pooping the bathroom and not flushing it. I could DO THIS job forever!!! Does anyone else love working from home?

3. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2020

The social interaction and field trips, don't miss nothing else.

Teachingtoo likes this.
  4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2020

I wouldn't mind working from home, but not this job. Teaching kindergarten from home is a nightmare.

5. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Apr 13, 2020

Honestly... I'm not made to work from home. I am BORED. I miss my kids. I miss my coworkers (even though they make me crazy). I miss going somewhere every day and having that mental shift from work to home. I miss the schedule and routine of having a workplace.

Also... I'm craving social interaction with other humans like none other. I'm so used to interacting with 25+ tiny humans and various adults throughout the day that being at home day after day with just my husband is honestly just hard. We're not driving each other crazy, it's just that I need the variety of my normal work day.

I'm ready for next school year to start, in all honesty. I'm dreading the thought that this might continue into August...

Violetta, mrsf70, Missy and 6 others like this.
  6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 13, 2020

While I do have more energy at the end of the day, I really miss the students and my colleagues. Most of the most fun things we get to do in the classroom such as science experiments, plays, and fun activities are really difficult and nearly impossible via the distance learning. I am finding ways to enjoy this a bit. I do enjoy being able to go to the bathroom nearly whenever I want and having a normal lunch hour. However, I do eagerly look to getting back to the classroom and regular teaching. I want to be with the students and teachers and not just see them on a screen.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    mrsf70, Backroads and a2z like this.
  7. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 13, 2020

I never thought I would, but I miss school so much-the drama, the nonstop work, etc. . .I'm miserable!!!!!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 13, 2020

I'm enjoying it enough, but it also doesn't really feel like... school.

Yes, I'm making the lesson plans. I'm filming the lessons. I'm meeting online with colleagues. But it doesn't feel the same. I feel like I"m doing the stay-at-home mom thing with some teaching stuff thrown in.

bella84, a2z and otterpop like this.
  9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 13, 2020

I’m not a huge fan of working from home. I didn’t realize how easily distracted I am. I like for everything to be compartmentalized: work should be left at work and home stuff should be sacred. Plus, I hate that fact that I have no routine right now. I thrive on routine. And most of all, I miss the kids! I want to see their faces.

Thankfully, my partner and I aren’t driving each other nuts. We’re weathering the storm together and making the most of our time (cooking, exercising, projects around the house, etc.).

Backroads likes this.
  10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 13, 2020

After teaching online for seven years, I'm very good at what I'm currently doing, but I cannot say I'm happy about it. I miss being able to hug the kiddos who need it the most.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 13, 2020

I've learned that I love working from home. I don't have to be around people, and I don't have to get dressed. My only complaints are that it's difficult to disconnect because there is no clear line between work and home anymore, I hate filming myself, and I struggle without structure and routine.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 13, 2020

@bella84, that was my world for so long! My biggest suggestion is to find a way to cut off your office hours. This is difficult, as I was answering emails and Remind messages until a few hours ago, but it can be done.

Oh, and try to get out of your PJs before 10am. Otherwise, you will be a sweaty, probably hungry mess.

Caballo21, Backroads and bella84 like this.
  13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2020

I’m a homebody and introvert. I’m doing great.

The work load is mentally exhausting, but the rest is great.

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 13, 2020

I love working like this. I make myself a things to do list for the entire week, fr every day. This includes work related things and household or personal things; I include even the smallest things. As I complete each task, I cross them off. This has worked very well for me.
    I still wake up at the same time (early) but don't get dressed / make up etc until much later but technically I'm working my contracted hours.
    I have more time and more energy. I miss seeing my student but I'm actually having more and longer conversations with them now compared to when I saw them in person.

I know this is not the normal way of teaching and we will be back to normal by next year but I'm enjoying it at the moment. I don't want to get used to it though.

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2020

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I've always said I would hate working from home. Previously, I'd follow that up with, "But I could never work from home anyway, because I'm a teacher." Ha!

The first couple of weeks I was working 12 hour days learning all the new tech and how to make the online learning work. Now that I have things figured out my work hours are much shorter than "regular school." There are other perks, such as not having to deal with behavior, and no stress with state testing/end of year testing is a huge perk. That said, I hate it. It's all work and no fun. I miss my routine and interacting with my teammates and students, and I know this online deal is nowhere near meeting what my students really need.

I will lose my mind if we are still doing this in August. P said today that district admin is already talking about plans to push the start of the year back/discussing if they can get away with just pushing the whole year back (starting later and ending later) or if we need to start with online again because this will go longer. I am over this "break." I want my real life back.

mrsf70 and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 14, 2020

@waterfall, I could’ve written every single word of this paragraph myself. All of it!

nstructor likes this.
  17. Apr 14, 2020

I teach in a middle school.I agree with everything you say, but there are certainly several difficulty in the distance teaching/learning, above all because of problems of connection or lack of digital material.So I think the best way is to alternate hours in classroom with the distance teaching.

18. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Apr 14, 2020

I don't miss behaviors, mutliple meaningless emails, drama, exhaustion, and state testing. I do miss conversations with co-workers, silly things middle schoolers say and do, and the fun projects I have time for in the 4th quarter. I am an intorvert by nature, but if I'm going to teach, I need to be at school.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2020

There are aspects that I enjoy, like getting to sleep an extra hour in the morning, being able to record a lesson without interruptions, etc. However, after 3 weeks of this, I can say I am not loving it. I think I would be open to a blended style (perhaps like an independent study situation), but I think having a place to go to each day, seeing the kids, teachers, parents, etc. is something I am kind of missing.

mrsf70 likes this.
  20. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 14, 2020

This will sound awful, but I miss the behavior problems. It's so much easier when that falls on the parents.

21. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

Apr 14, 2020

As an art teacher, this is worse than art on a cart. I do not enjoy this experience. I am up and moving around a lot more during the day. My students are missing the experience with materials other than paper.

I also do not enjoy online college courses, training, reading, or anything of that nature. I got burned out on trying to migrate everything to a digital experience when I worked in I.T. I watched as adult problem solving skills disappeared when tech was down or offline. I'm seeing some of that now. If something does not work (website, printer, uploading), then I can't do it.

But I understand where some find this a dream come true. Especially if you work in an environment that is toxic. All the class clowns are most likely not bothering with the effort.

Backroads likes this.
  22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 14, 2020

I will admit that I checked in at my regular time this morning and then went back to bed until 10am. Yesterday was the insanity of handing out laptops and paper packets for students who wanted to work that way. Running between the building and the cars while wearing a mask wore me out, and I really needed the extra sleep!

23. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 14, 2020

I do confess it's nice to go mow the lawn when I want.

Seriously, my distraction is way up today. I have put together the basics for tomorrow's lesson. It's a nice day, I'm going to go hang up the laundry outside and mow the lawn, keeping my phone on me to be contacted.

24. Apr 14, 2020

I am surprised how there are parts of working from home that I enjoy. Setting my own work hours, walks at mid-day, not dealing with behavior issues and an abrasive colleague. I do miss the kids though.....

bella84 likes this.
  25. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Apr 14, 2020

I wish! We had the snowblower out today and yesterday to clean the sidewalk and driveway.

Backroads likes this.
  26. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2020

I was having a great school year and this was nice for the first two weeks because it was relaxing. But I do miss my routine, my friends (and my boyfriend!) and the social interaction. I had a really good group of kids--probably my best ever--so I'm sad that I likely can't finish the year with them. I hate all of the time spent on the computer. I've been having neck/back problems because of it.

I am enjoying eating healthier, drinking more water, being able to spend more time with my dog, and the leisure time. :)

LouiseB likes this.
  27. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2020

I like that you can drink coffee and take bathroom breaks, but I seriously am working harder and more at home and feel like I am not getting good results from kids. ( Most aren't learning much.) I have a hard time disconnecting from work when I can't walk to my car and go. I took a 30 minute lunch break when at school. I don't anymore.
    I guess different districts have different requirements for what you have to do in a day. I had a couple of wks w/ 11-12 hr days and then 1 wk was easier. I had about 3 days that seemed like a breeze. I was hoping I had a handle on it. Then last week, it was back to long days. We have to fill out a form at the end of the day saying we did all of the following which takes a long time to do.

stargirl likes this.
  28. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2020

I miss the energies of being at school. Knowing when the kids will start arriving. Wondering if so-and-so will be there today. Hoping that so-and-so WON'T be there today! ;) Seeing and hearing interactions. The sports..... The kids were devastated when told their seasons were over.... Also, thinking about the kids who you know that don't get treated well at home... Our school system stopped meals when the stay-at-home order was announced. Hungry kids... I also know that the kids aren't gonna do the online work because 1.) online access is quite limited and home life is poor (no computers, tablets, etc...) and 2.) the assignments aren't graded. So, in a way, I wish I were still to impact my students the traditional way, however, I do enjoy being at home with my wife and kids....

29. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 19, 2020

My teachers are only having 4-6 students per class log into Google Classroom to see what their assignments are. I want so badly for them to be in school because distance learning isn't working for my population.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  30. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2020

No early mornings, no duty, no doing other's jobs, no signing in and out, going to sleep at 3 a.m., waking up at 8, eat, and go back to sleep. Nap at 1 p.m. Nap at 5 p.m. Stimuluses, insurance rebates, no student loan payments for 6 months, eat on my schedule, saving on gas, no one bothering me. Still getting meals. PS4, PS3, Netflix, Amazon Prime.

I must say............yes.

futuremathsprof and bella84 like this.
  31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2020

Our dogs are seriously loving having both of us home all day. They aren't liking it so much that my classroom guinea pigs are here now, though. We are a two-teacher household, so we do have to coordinate our online classes. DH does his at 11:00. I do mine at 2:00. We to those from the home office.

I do miss my nice clothes and makeup.

Backroads likes this.
  32. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2020

You're not doing online lessons with your students?

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2020

I know that I'm not who you asked, but we aren't expected to do any synchronous learning. I provide lessons and assignments for my students and have set "office hours" when I am able to answer posted or emailed questions in real time. Outside of my office hours, I need to give feedback on work that has been submitted, plan new activities, modify activities as needed, email or call parents who I need to follow up with, and I may have meetings with admin or my grade team. My time is quite flexible, though, and I can make time for other things during the day.

34. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 20, 2020

T
    That sounds very similar to what I’m doing too. I do offer 1:1 ten minute video conferences for families who want them, but there are no online group lessons. We make videos and post them for students to watch on their own schedule.

35. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Apr 22, 2020

I like that I can sleep in and get to introvert all day long, but I really dislike the online platform and the billion video calls I have to do. I hate not being able to see my students face-to-face in person, and I do not think this is benefiting them in any way. I was having such a good year with this group. Some of my students are graduating, one who started in my class as a freshmen when I started this job 4 years ago, and I am really disappointed that I missed out on that last semester with them.

36. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 22, 2020

I paid off my student loans YEARS ago, haha! I love it. I hated having those payments.

Also, I would recommend paying your student loans down faster at this time because every payment is going to the principal as interest is not accruing during the next 6 months.

For me, I love this because I don’t have to make the long commute to tutor. It’s incredible. It really does make my job so easy.

And distance learning is a breeze for me. I actually consider it to be way easier than teaching in person.

37. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2020

Unless you’re in the PSLF program. Then don’t pay them. You’re not accruing interest, you’re not paying anything, and you STILL get credit for the months of service. You can even request a refund for your March payment and have it count towards your years of service and total payments.

If you’re not in PSLF and don’t intend to be, then, yes, it’s a great time to keep making payments, assuming you’re financially able to.

whizkid and futuremathsprof like this.
  38. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2020

I think most will at least try to go to a level of blended learning for the foreseeable future. There will be a level of hesitation to go back to all out traditional schooling in the fall especially with the thought of a second wave.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    readingrules12 likes this.
  39. urban teacher

urban teacher Rookie

Apr 22, 2020

Young Teacher Guy, I have 3 students accessing my Google classroom. I teach special education. I have office hours and try to have Meet during them. No one shows. I am very happy that I don't have to work with my para for the rest of the year except she wants me to include her in the Meet meetings.
    There was no teacher for 2 years before me so she was used to running things.

40. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Apr 22, 2020

We have a lot of tedious stuff to do, i.e.uploading work in very specific format that takes awhile to do. Little things like writing up newsletters to email (that explain the constant nitty gritty changes of those formats). Weekly faculty meetings and grade level meetings (virtual). Office hours to conference with parents/kids (I've only had a few requests). One class meeting a week, though that is supposed to change next week--we will be doing more instructional sessions, and start grading work submitted digitally. So, I still definitely have enough to keep me busy with. I don't feel I'm working specifically harder than usual, it's just different sort of tasks, some of which are more stressful since they are new/different. All that said, I am very, very thankful to have a job and be getting my regular full pay. So even though I don't love the dynamics, and prefer in person teaching I am ok with this.
    However, I'm loving not having to pack a lunch, I eat breakfast/lunch when I want in a leisurely fashion, and best of all, don't need to schedule my bathroom breaks!!!

41. Chesney Snow

Chesney Snow Guest

Apr 22, 2020

Agreed I miss the classroom.