Who is cutting back for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lemonhead, Nov 18, 2008.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 18, 2008

Just wondering if any of you are cutting back this Christmas or holiday season. We started cutting back on extended family gifts a couple years ago. We probably won't cut back too much more on gifts this year. A lot of teachers at school were talking about cutting back big time on gifts.

What I don't plan on buying are Christmas decorations of any kind this year. We also won't be using anywhere near the amount of lights outdoors like we normally use since my husband can no longer go up on the ladder two stories. I checked to see how much it was for someone to install lights. Are you sitting down? $2000! I know it is is not that everywhere but I can't imagine what they would put up for 2k.

So how about you? Cutting back at all or Christmas as usual?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2008

We are using Walgreens to upload pix of all the extended family. Doing a white elephant gift & bring a few canned goods for the local food pantry to help others.

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Nov 18, 2008

Instead of giving people $25-$50 gift cards my brother and I are getting professional pictures taken together (for mom and step-dad, dad, grandma, etc). My bf and I are also doing this for his family (mom and dad, grandparents, etc.) instead of gift cards. I totaled up the cost for the photo session, cost of prints, and frames for pics and I'll be paying around $110 for pics with my brother and bf. My bf will be paying around $80.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 18, 2008

I have decided to not be part of a regular gift exchange this year. At school we are not doing the secret santa exchage either. I also think I'm not going to purchade a tree ornament like I usually do, but we'll see.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 18, 2008

I buy for my hubby and my dogs. My parents and I do not do an exchange (nothing with extended family), we just eat and be merry and see who can get the best shang-hi rummy hand the quickest.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 18, 2008

We're the opposite this year. We're actually doing pretty well, and it's nice to finally be able to get our relatives NICE gifts. We don't go over the top, and have very few people to get gifts for (two sets of parents and one brother total), so it should be fine. I'm kind of hoping dh and I can just get each other a 'gift' of a new couch. But if we do the traditional exchange, I'm asking for a very nice purse. My spending budget is tight during the year, so I expect him to open the bank account at Christmas. ;) I understand if you have a ton of people to buy for, though. We're lucky that dh is an only child, and I only have one brother who is single. I won't be getting large gifts for co-workers-maybe a package of nice coffee or something. It will be light, though.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 18, 2008

I buy for my boyfriend, aunt, uncle and 2 cousins.
    I will do something small for my grade parnter and aid.
    I hope my boyfriend and I go in something together for his dad, mom and sister...no idea what to get them

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 18, 2008

We are going to have to go the cheapo route BIG TIME. Finding useful gifts is going to be hard on a poor family's income.

Hubby and I probably won't get each other anything and trying to figure out what to get our parents and close family. We are trying to stay between $10 and $20 per person or couple without looking like we went on a shopping spree at Dollar Tree. LOL

We've got Emily a few things. I'm not to worried about her. I know she will get boo-coos of stuff from the grandparents. She won't be hurting for toys or clothes.

We don't have credit cards to use and we are already tight moneywise as it is.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 18, 2008

I started my Christmas shopping December 26, 2007 :D. I'm fanatic about checking out the clearance racks and shelves of every department in every store, ever time I go. If something's super cheap and I think some relative will like it, I get it. So far, Santa is bringing the boys a magnetix set (each), a medium sized animated dinosaur (#3), some ninja accessories (#3), a new bike (#1), a figure skating "spinner" (a training aid to help improve centering and speed in spins, for #2), Razor scooters (one for each), robot building kit (#2), and a whole closet full of stuff I can't remember.

None of the adults exchange presents unless somebody happens across a good sale for something somebody really needs. Last year my dad ran across a really nice set of mixing bowls for $1.99, so he bought them for me. That would be the only thing we buy each other EXCEPT for the stocking from my parents. My mom even mails stockings to her kids that live out of state. I love our stockings...they're filled with shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, razors, shaving cream, bubble bath and any other toiletry item my mom decides to include.

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 18, 2008

Since its just my parents,granparents and aunts and uncles a few cousins but only 1 blood we do little. My grandparents always get the grandkids a gift(birth grandkids or marriage). My cousin (birth one) and I exchange and gift , my sister and I exchange a gift and my parents get a gift and they give us 2-3 at most gifts. Nothing big! I stopped expercting them yrs ago. Christmas is not about that anyway. The gifts I give this yr will be cheap. I am saving to go to the mountains in Jan. on a college/career trip with my church.

12. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 18, 2008

We are not doing as much for Christmas this year, but it isn't really our choice. Our siblings' families are needing to do less this year and asked not to exchange gifts. We agreed, so it makes it that we are spending less. However, we are also engaged now and buying gifts for everyone together, so there are less presents to buy.

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2008

We've already talked it over and are cutting way way back. We decided to buy a few things that we really really want. I've had my eye on this comforter from Pottery Barn.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p11376/index.cfm?pkey=corganic-duvet-covers-shams

And I want a new chair for the bedroom...something in brown.

My son wants some new sheets. You'd think that wasn't a big deal, but he is a sheet snob. The last ones cost about $200.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 18, 2008

I love that cover, shouldbeasleep! We got one from them last year-it's red and off-white large, wide stripes.

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2008

I have to cut back my disability payments don't start till JAN!

Sucks to be me.
    :(:(:(

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2008

I never really have had to get presents for any coworkers or friends...ever. The last few yrs, my parents & I don't expect anything from each other, but my mom ALWAYS believed in having something to unwrap on Christmas Day. I believe in that too! My BF never expected anything from me for any occasion, but we still get gifst for each other because we want to.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

MMSWM, I am impressed that you have all those purchases already!

18. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Nov 19, 2008

We are only buying for our 3 children and our parents. Oh, I will probably get something for my 2 teaching partners and the 2 aids who help me. DH's job has cut back to 3 days a week which stinks at this time of the year.

I will still decorate like crazy and enjoy the warmth of the season.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2008

Fortunately, I got the kids a Wii in August, when money wasn't quite so tight.

We've stopped the adult gift exchange at my mom's, though we still buy for the 10 small kids (3 of whom are mine.)

We decided not to exchange with Pete's sister and brother in law in LA. Their jobs are precarious, so it just made sense.

And, aside from the Wii, Santa is looking for gifts that look like a lot under the tree. He's on austerity, but doesn't want it to show.

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

That sounds like us too Alice. Last year we quit doing this gift exhange with DH's extended family, actually everyone did and decided to do it in July. It had turned into "here, have this 25 gift card and give me that 25 gift card." Where is the spirit there? Since we are not there in July, we don't take part.

21. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 19, 2008

WOW! You have good taste that is beautiful! I want it now lol! If you get it you will love it. I saw it was a Duvet. Those button together and you can put another comforter or blanket inside to w/e you want. My sister has one for her bed and the good thing is she can unbutton it and throw it in the wash!

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 19, 2008

My parents are insisting that they don't want anything from us this year, especially since I'm just starting this teaching job and husband is still looking for work. It's a TIGHT year!

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2008

It's going to be a very tight year for us. I want to get DH an Ipod, but not sure if I'll have the money too. So far I've only gotten one gift for my daughter and a small gift for my sister. We haven't gifted to the adults in years, mainly just for kids. Not sure if we'll even be able to do that this year. :(

24. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Nov 19, 2008

We cut back significantly last year, because my husband was unemployed. I was pregnant, so we took maternity photos and gave framed versions to our parents. However, I ended up adding a lot of little gifts and that added up.

This year, our son is almost a year old, so I'm doing photo books of his first year for his grandparents. My sisters are getting a much smaller version. DH's little brother will get something small and we probably won't buy for each other. We've been saving so that we can buy for our son and not be out any from our December paychecks.

25. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 19, 2008

MMSWM, I think you are my shopping twin. I also start the shopping on Dec. 26th. I have color coordinated totes in the basement that are used for gifts. I get classroom gifts for school parties, 4-H, Girl Scouts, and teacher gifts. I also stock up on bath sets and such for all those birthday parties my kids seem to get invited to. I have nine nieces and nephews that I buy for all through the year. We typically don't buy gifts for the adults in the family unless we find a real deal. I do send presents to my parents and my sister, since we are close. My rule is "If it isn't 50% off, it isn't a sale!"

26. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

I got a raise so I'm actually above where I usually am. My bro & sil are expecting so they are cutting back. We're kind of all going in together for big gifts for a few people to cut costs for everyone. My sil, her parents and my parents are going in together for my brother's gift....I'm getting something to go with it. Myself, my bf, mom, bro & sil are all going in for my dad's.

27. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2008

I definitely wont be giving that great of presents. I have a huge list of people to buy for (and I don't make much and am working on my masters):
    My husband, my mom, stepdad, dad, stepmom, 3 brothers, 3 sisters, my grandparents, my husband's grandparents, his mom and mom's fiance, his little brother, and we usually get presents for my aunt, uncle, and 2 cousins (I might skip those ones this year).

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2008

Good for you!

29. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Nov 19, 2008

I have a large list...my mom and dad, my 4 younger brothers, 3 aunts (who usually get homemade goodies) fiance, and his 2 sisters, 3 brothers, his mom and dad.

Since we're saving for our wedding in a few months, gifts will be smaller this year. Probably going to do a few video games for all of my brothers instead of buying individual gifts, and a joint gift for both sets of parents.

30. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Nov 19, 2008

I'm trying to cut back but it doesn't seem to be working. I LOVE Christmas shopping. I went to Kohl's yesterday to get new clothes for myself since I really do need new stuff but ended up spending over $100 without buying ONE thing for myself. I bought a bunch of gifts for people. I just realized how much I've bought for my mom already so I tried to pawn some of it off on my other family members who haven't shopped yet (the ones that don't like shopping!).

We do a name-drawing with my extended family (the adults - so far there's just my sister's 3 kids to buy for) so we just buy for 1 other person instead of everybody which is a big help. What doesn't help is that my brother, my fiance, and my nephew all have birthdays the week before Christmas so for a bunch of people who want "nothing" it's twice as hard to shop for them!

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2008

How about a framed picture, either of the 4 of you together, or you and your husband?

Or something baked?

Or an IOU for a day cleaning out their attic or something similar?

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2008

:lol: @ shopping twins.

My money and I don't part ways very easily. I like to be able to give good gifts, but my finances don't always permit me to go shopping at any moment. I have a closet full of emergency birthday gifts as well.

33. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008

yep; we're cutting back too; I have to really do my best in this area...because it's been the last few years that we've been giving gifts to immediate family.

so...for my 2 little nieces, I ordered 2 Scholastic cookbooks. I'm going to put them in a $1 basket with some inexpensive cookie cutters (??) and perhaps an apron.
    I have 20 yr. old niece and I usually get her a $25 gift card...I still think that's the way to go.
    Decisions, decisions.

34. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2008

We are not cutting back. We are probably actually spending more than in the past few years. My son is getting a PlayStation 3, my middle daughter wants a digital camera, and my oldest daughter is getting a laptop. I am planning on getting hubby a GPS. I do not know what he is getting me but I have been hinting at a cruise for next summer. My mom and mother in law are getting digital frames and I have no idea what to get my dad and father-in-law. I still have to buy for 15 neices, nephews, and godchildren plus 6 godparents. I know one thing is that I have not done anything yet but plan to be finished by the time I return to school next week because I want to enjoy the holiday season and I HATE TO SHOP!

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2008

Last year my son got a cookbook with an inscription from Santa. He went WILD!

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2008

I've given books and such with inscriptions from santa and the easter bunny...I'm in trouble the day my kids figure out that the two have the same handwriting. :D

37. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Nov 19, 2008

Probably not, but Husband and I aren't ones to go overboard anyway. I do decorate, but I only hang one strand of outdoor lights right around the front door with the wreath and the rest are inside decorations.

38. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 19, 2008

One of my grandmothers(dad's mom) always gives each of her kids a basket for the family with her "speciallty cooked items, homemade soup in a jar, a loaf of omish bread, jar of homemade hotchoc. mix, and some kitchen stuff like oven mits and such. Not always the same but simular and she always gives us a loaf pan of her what I call "world famous" dressing. That is the best gift in the world because there is nothing like my granmothers cooking.

39. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008

Thank you re the comment about the comforter. I bought it today. They were out of it on their Internet site, didn't have it at either of the two Atlanta stores, so I had to call a store in Virginia and get it shipped to me. Guess I almost waited too long for it to go on sale.

I've always loved shopping for Christmas, but I just want to hold onto my money this year. Not much family left around here. Everyone has moved back to Maine except my son and I. So we'll just have us a quiet little Christmas.

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2008

Wouldn't it be something if so many stores closed that everyone would pretty much have to resort to online shopping?!

41. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 20, 2008

Hijack- the Rachel Ray 30 minute cookbook is in the Scholastic Holiday Gift book for 15.00 you can use points of course. I ordered 3.

Lots of cute diaries and such in the December issues, too. Don't forget Click for electronics.