who HASN'T gotten a job yet for the 2008-2009 school year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Tay

Tay Companion

Jul 26, 2008

No job yet, no calls, no interviews :( I've emailed every principal in the area, received 4 emails back saying they have no positions available. And one email saying that they are waiting to see if anyone wants to transfer before calling new hires.

I still have hope.

2. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jul 26, 2008

Target sells cotton stationery paper in packs of 100 that works well for resumes, too. I think it was 7 or 8 dollars - at least half the price of resume paper.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2008

oh no JunieB...that is too rich for my blood! I shop at office max or office depot or staples because every dollar I spend goes towards rewards teacher's points, to get a gift card to spend on more stuff! I didn't pay a dime for my last purchase!

but thanks for the suggestion! i will look at wal-mart, where I can use my discount!

4. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 26, 2008

i don't even use resume paper and i've had more interviews than i can count. i really don't think it matters at all. as long as it is on neat, clean paper you're golden. heck, i've gotten interviews from emailed resumes!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2008

MPK, you are hilarious. I love those acronyms!

6. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

Master Pre-K-- LOL!!!! :D That helped lift my spirits some after reading the very depressing job vacancy list for my DD.

7. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 26, 2008

How about-
    GTLB- Good Teacher Left Behind

I love all your ideas. They hit very close to home.
    :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

8. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 26, 2008

do you mean you just cold called or cold emailed them? what did it say? or do you mean in reply to a job ad?

9. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 26, 2008

I did the same thing TAY-- but I think I hit a new low--- I have even emailed superintendents!... I interviewed for a PR position at a school district by emailing the superintendent, she responded back that she forwarded my resume to the hiring team and I was interviewed that week (still haven't heard anything)

I think sometimes it pays to be pushy-- it shows enthusiasm and that you really go after what you want! At least that is what I tell myself when I'm emailing.

I started calling principals last week-- I think they are still on vacation..

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

there are over 700 school in city of Chicago. There are charter schools, turn around ( or turnover as I call them! Reorganized after low test scores, cleaned out staff...hiring all new staff) I printed out the entire list, including the Pre-K For All and Partnership Pre-K programs.

And I started calling, emailing, and snail mailing all of them.

11. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I am in the boat with you. I have had one interview this summer and 13 over the past year! Reading some of the posts it seems like more of a personality contest than anything else, so it is hard not to feel like people just don't like ME!
    I had just gotten to the point where I was ready to look for something else, (I am really tired of the game and I need a paying job with benefits and some satisfaction) when I get a call for another interview. It is tomorrow. Sheesh!

12. Tebb

Tebb Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Yes God is faithful! Thanks for making me remember that. Praying we all find our jobs this fall.

:angel:

13. Tebb

Tebb Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Praying for us all. This post sounds like I wrote it myself! :lol:

14. Tebb

Tebb Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Thanks for reminding me that God is always faithful, and He is always on time.:angel:

15. coffee-queen

coffee-queen Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

in addition to continuing to scour the local isd for job openings, i've started applying for non-teaching jobs as well. it's getting frustrating given the fact that there's only been 4-5 job postings in the whole county so far this summer. granted i live in a pretty small town, but i'm starting to look elsewhere. seems like those four years spent in college (and all that money) is going to waste!

16. Passion4Teachin

Passion4Teachin Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I currently do not have a job for the fall. I am young, have a masters (too much education), and not enough experience. I have three interviews this week lined up... I am trying to remain hopeful. August is HIRING SEASON. Its crunch time. get your best game on! Good luck everyone. =)

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

I am tired of ordering transcripts, just to have people open them, and do nothing with my paperwork!

Do you think colleges mark on your records how many times you order transcripts? I know one school does that! You know, that would be really bad, if a district could see that, like credit inquiries! I would feel awful if somebody could tell I ordered 15 copies of my transcripts this year alone!

That would make me look like I am desperately trying to get into grad school, or I can't find a job! They say the want to hire me, then nothing happens! Or like these last people, don't want to offer me any real money!

sigh!!!

18. koop

koop Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

not sure

I'm not sure yet if I have a job or not. The school district hasn't started hiring yet that I had two interviews with. The woman said to keep calling her. How frustrating is that?:eek:hmy:

19. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

That is extremely frustrating! Districts around where I live have to wait anther week for registration then they will check numbers, then hire more teachers if needed. People who are not returning often wait until the last minute so insurance is not cut off or if they have had a bad experience at the school, they will want to leave them at the very last minute just to stick it to whomever. Stinks to say the least. But keep checking things change rapidly this time of year.

20. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

Master Pre-K are you required to order official transcripts? Doesn't that cost you $$? I went to 3 schools (1 junior college and 2 universities) and at $5 each I'd be totally broke if I had to order official transcripts all the time.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2008

Good luck in your job search everyone!!!

22. Kohlsnake

Kohlsnake Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

Every school district wants official! At $5 a pop plus mailing in this application packets that must just collect dust I could go mad! Schools have started to request undergrad transcripts too. I try to tell them that my masters is in elm. education, my undergrad is in history, it does not apply, but they don't care and want it anyway.

One school tried to make me send new transcripts to them the second year I applied. I asked "i subbed in your district, don't you have my info on file???" They said, oh sure but that's in a different office, if we transfered everyone's information that would be a big hassle! With undergrad & grad transcripts, plus my letters of recommendation packet that's $15 per district. I've stopped sending undergrad, because my gpa wasn't fabulous. SO if they aren't calling me because of that, they wouldn't call me anyway based on my gpa, but that's still $10 a district PLUS postage for the applications.

So not only am I in debt up to my ears, but applying doesn't help!

23. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

Wow! on needing to send official transcripts. We are to send copies ( at least in the districts where I am looking), then if hired they expect an official copy. That costs way too much money to send official transcripts with every application

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

exactly!!!! That is what's pissing me off! I go on interviews. They want to see credential, transcript, 3 ref letters, copy of my license, SS# card, send me for physical and fingerprinting. They say, they need official transcripts. So I give them the sealed envelope.

then... nothing...
    or really lowball offer

Now, they have an employee file - I am a ghost employee.

and I am out of $5 again!

that is my point.

I called that $15 hr job and asked them politely to send my unopened transcript back! :rolleyes:

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

like calling the temporary agencies... that's how it sounds to me... :unsure:

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

thanks proud2b!!!

27. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

Job???

Still no job here! :( I Moved to LA area a month ago from Boston but I started looking for a job in March. I went to 2 interviews, one was in May and I heard back and the other one was last week and they said they will get back to me this week and they haven't. I wish she would just call to say I didn't get the job so I can stop wondering. This job hunt is very depressing. I have bene lurking on these boards for a few weeks and you guys are def. helping me get through these hard times. So thanks!:D

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

2 calls... 2 interviews... I tell you it's something to do with August!!!

29. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I don't. I have my job that I've worked at for the past two years, but I've been trying to switch to a new school due to low pay and no benefits. I've sent letters and resumés to literally over 55 schools/districts. I've had 5 interviews....1 rejected me and I'm waiting to hear back on the other 4. It's sooo frustrating.

30. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Dozens of applications, but no luck here so far! Although I've decided that the best thing I can do is improve my chances, so I'm adding another subject area to my credentials...I figure what's the worst that can happen? LOL

I'm going to keep on looking and applying and hoping that eventually, I get hired on somewhere!

Here's a round of big hugs and tons of good luck to everyone who is still looking as well! :hugs:

31. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Hey, FFT-can you please explain to me about adding another subject area? Thanks

32. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Aug 1, 2008

You'll need to choose your subject then go to the FTCE/FELE website and sign up for the subject area exam.

Here is the link with all the info for you:

http://www.fl.nesinc.com/

Many of the subject areas are given via computer these days, but you still have the option of taking them the good old pencil and paper way. I'm signed up for October 25th to take my next SAE.

Let me know what you decide to do! (What part of FL do you live in? I'm in Orlando...:))

33. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Same here. Also, I'm very lucky in that neither my undergrad or grad schools charge for transcripts.

34. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

FFT- I pmed you

35. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

15 interviews and still no job. I must look wonderful on paper, but as soon as they see my overweight butt, I get the, "you were a strong candidate, but we went with someone else." Fifteen times? UGH.

This is the last summer I am doing this. After two one-year positions gained at the last minute in August, if I end up with nothing or I end up with another one-year position again, I'm going to enter a new field.

I know we're supposed to stay positive, but I graduated back in 2005. I have friends I graduated with that have earned tenure by now and own homes or condos. The principals who call to give the rejection always tell me how wonderful I was before their dis. If I'm that great, why didn't they hire me? I know they aren't supposed to discriminate because of weight, but sometimes I have to wonder. Thanks for letting me dump here. Maybe I can be more positive after unloading this.

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2008

alphabet-Some district is losing out on a great teacher. I graduated Dec 2004, worked one year in kinder, one in 2nd, and then subbed this past year. I'm still looking for a job. I can't see myself doing anything else so I'm sticking with it until I find something.

I have found that it's all about luck and being in the right place at the right time.

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

I am worried that somebody will see I ordered at least 21 copies already! :confused:

Wish I could mine free!

Boy, are you lucky!

38. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

alphabet- I graduated in 1996, worked one year in 1st, 1 year headstart, 1 year kindergarten, 2 years Pre-K. Between these, I subbed and assisted. Here I am, still looking.

39. Shontasue1

Shontasue1 Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Is anyone else subbing next year? I really feel like a loser a sub with K-6 Certification.

40. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2008

I'm not sure what I'll do if I don't get a job for the upcoming year. It might be subbing again.