who HASN'T gotten a job yet for the 2008-2009 school year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I really think that there are 100 people applyig for every job and that they automatically hire the one with experience. I have a master's degree because the education program I was in was a 5-year program where student teaching was in the fifth year. I've been told by some teachers that no one will want to hire an inexperienced teacher with a master's degree. What was I supposed to do, leave with a bachelor's degree and no student teaching experience under my belt? I explain this in my interview. I would never have gotten my master's degree until after I had been teaching if it had not been part of the program. I know that some district's require it within a certain period of years after being hired.

2. scott connuck

scott connuck Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Would you consider Nogales AZ?

Would you consider Nogales AZ? A border town less than an hour from Tucson AZ and a warm, friendly district to work in. We need a 4th grade and 2nd grade teacher as well as a special ed elem teacher. You do NOT need to speak Spanish and will consider emergency certification for first year if you are not HIGHLY qualified for elem classroom. Please email me back or call 520-287-0840 and ask for Michael Young, principal at AJMitchell elem or email at myoung@nusd.k12.az.us
    Time is short as new teacher orientation is in two weeks.
    You may also simply respond to this posting and I'll take it from there.
    Thanks for your interest.

3. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Still looking and growing more frustrated, impatient (esp. with HR), and depressed each day... I'm convinced there is a memo going around to all of the schools that says, "Do not read this woman's resume." How else can I explain the lack of phone calls?

:hugs: I'm sorry Vievers!! Hopefully that isn't the case for you! I am currently in a similar situation-- I had to move away from my husband in order to find work. We're together during breaks, but it sucks living like we're still dating.

Good luck to everyone!!

4. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

The phone just rang and I got really excited... it was Walgreens telling me my prescription can now be picked up! Great...

Lilmisses- Thanks! Right now we are just hoping for the best. If I do move away we are hoping it's back to family so it could be a lot worse. I'm sorry you are having to live away from your husband! Good luck and may the phone ring!!

scott- sent you a private message with some questions

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2008

I would ask them if they were hiring! seriously, minimum wage is $7.75, and you get good discounts. part time, of course.

somebody called me today! yay! and I saw another ad I really liked. I thought Chicago had 600 schools, it seems like over 1000 now!!!

interview tomorrow! wish me luck...

6. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

add me to our list.
    I have been feeling so bad.
    I would log on to this web site but couldn't bring myself to open up. Thank you to everyone who could share their frustration,anxiety and sadness.-Reading what everyone else is dealing with has helped me to realize that I am not worthless nor in the wrong profession. I just wasn't in the right school. I thought I was a good fit-the chairwoman of my dept. was really disappointed when I told her I was not being reappointed and so were the other teachers that I had become very friendly with. And, I know that I did my job well because I got my students FCAT scores and 85% of them went up one or two levels. (One of the AP's called me to tell me how impressed he was with my scores.) Unfortunately, my AP seemed to have a bee in her bonnet against me.She was so unfair and unprofessional. Needless to say I was not offered my position for the 2009 school year. I know that, in the long run, it is better for me to find another teaching position and that I should be glad to be out of that school-there were so many problems with the administrators. Regardless of all that-I loved teaching those kids.
    Anyway, thank you for all of your posts, I feel so much better knowing that it is the system and its administrators that is keeping us from doing the jobs we were born to do. I'm sure that in spite of the economy and budget cuts and unwritten rules we will attain our goals.
    Thanks again, I really mean it.

7. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Jul 16, 2008

I just wanted to encourage everyone who has not received a job offer, yet. I was really bummed about not having a job lined out yet; it seemed like everyone that I graduated with has one except me. Anyways, I turned in an application last Thursday, did the interview with the superintendent on Friday (because the principal was out) and signed the contract that day! There is still hope and God is always faithful Remember that He is always on time.

8. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 16, 2008

me.....

no job....

not even an interview...

i am in va....

argh!:confused::unsure::mad:

9. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 17, 2008

Thanks SouperTeach! That give me hope :hugs:

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 17, 2008

still without...

11. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

This would be me :(

12. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I'm another one without a job so far. I might have to look outside of teaching and back into the business world. Districts seem to higher teachers, no experience, preliminary credential and young.
    I'm very depressed also and trying to keep my spirits up.

13. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Me... I passed up one offer to wait for a better fit... sure hope that materializes! I'd sure hate to end the summer jobless and have it be MY OWN DARNED FAULT.:|

14. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

Kerfuffle I did that my first year and have been kicking myself ever since. I hope your experience is better. I'd probably have tenure by now if I'd taken that first offer.

15. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 17, 2008

Not in Jersey! We youngin's don't have ENOUGH experience according to them. Grrrr!

16. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

I have somewhat good news to share! I finally got a phone call asking for an interview! Interview is on Wednesday; I've got my flight booked and now I need to pack ! Hopefully I don't forget anything important.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2008

Good luck! pack light. bring extra resumes. have somebody at home who can fax or fed ex you something you forgot, just in case!!

:)

18. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Thanks for the advice! The husband will be home awaiting phone calls to mail me forgotten items, of which I hope there are none or very few.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2008

you're welcomed!!!

20. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I too am jobless but still hopeful.... my only problem is I dont know what to do in the event that I don't get a teaching job... I have a B.S. in marketing but the job market is sooo stiff I'm now starting to worry if I'll get a full time job at all!

21. RatherBTeaching

RatherBTeaching New Member

Jul 23, 2008

Everybody hang in there. All is not lost until the final enrollment numbers are in, after school starts. Then we can start looking for barista positions at Starbucks. What's that you say? They're closing stores?!?

But seriously...I'm considering going back to school yet again to complete my single subject science credential (currently unemployed elementary teacher).

I'm also a career-changer...I wonder if that's a detriment...I'm 39 but look much younger. Maybe they think I'm not going to be around long, once they notice that I first went to college in 1987!!!!

Ptooey!

22. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 23, 2008

RBT I know what you mean. (your post made me laugh, thanks...I need that right now!) I'm 41, but I look much younger. I'm currently hired with Long beach as a sub. I feel grateful I at least have that, OY!:eek: For the past 2 years I taught 4th grade at a Christian School, but I resigned. Nope, I don't regret it either. They wanted the sun and miracles from us, for poverty level wages. So, I too am an out of work elementary teacher. I'm going back to get my art credential too. Yes, I know....not exactly a "high need" area. But, it's my passion...have my b.a. in it, so what the hay.

Hang in there everyone. Reading these posts is helping me. I've been feeling pretty down as well. Truth is, especially for elementary teachers it's tough right now. (well, I can only speak for California). I wonder what on earth these recruiters are looking for sometimes. All my friends say, "oh, you have experience" and I reply with sarcasm, "and that's my prob".

Speaking of Starbucks, I found a 15 dollar gift card today that a student gave me. It's like finding GOLD right now!:D

23. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

I am jobless. I've only had one interview since graduating last May (07) and that was last week. I really didn't look much last year because I knew I wanted to do my master's full-time but this year I have gone through 2 packages of resume paper to have only that one interview. And that principal basically told me he called me in because he knew one of my references. He said I was a good candidate though so we'll see. I'm praying and have everyone I know praying they will call me for a second interview.

People I went to school with are starting to get jobs after subbing for the last year; something I didn't do because I needed dependable, full-time employment. If I don't get a job for this school year I'll be subbing and working a part-time job which will suck but I gotta do it I guess.

24. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 23, 2008

We should start a southern california unemployed club

25. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 23, 2008

Well, I definitely qualify. ;) I was on Ed-Join today. There's quite a few jobs in Northern Cali. Has me thinkin. (altho, this is my home, don't want to move at all). Still. I did get a reply from one Northern district, asking if I'm still interested, I said yes. So, I guess they still have yet to go through my application. I went on an "eligibility" interview with LA UNIFIED back in May, however they have yet to open up any elementary jobs. It's really tough. I just got back from Trader Joe's. I asked if they are hiring. I love the, "we're always taking applications" answer. Oy. Anyhow, at this stage of the game, I'm willing to work part-time for them as well as sub. Truth is we're all having to wear hats we normally wouldn't. The whole country is struggling right now. However, I do know things will get better. I've learned that in these tough times, one must stay positive, and if you have a faith and pray, that never hurts. For now, I'm helping out a lady at my church, doing some light cleaning, shopping, etc. It's not even 9 bucks an hour, but it's something. (it's at Leisure World...man that place is huge!). Anyhow, I say all this to encourage everyone to roll up your sleeves and do what you must to survive. Look at it this way; when you DO finally get that great classroom of wonderful kids, look at all the wonderful experiences you can share with them!:D Keep smiling!:love:

26. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I still have no job and i am becoming very discouraged. I just want a call for an interview....sighhhh

27. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 23, 2008

Hang in there kinderkc....you will get something! I know you are so over hearing that, but patience is the key in this game. Anything is possible. I did my student teaching with Kinder. What a great group of kids! I never slept so good in my life, lol. I was just worn out by the end of the day. Keep the faith!

28. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

How about if we start a club called the New Teacher Left Behind. Let's see...we are unfunded and held to impossible standards. Sounds right to me. Anyone else!!!!!

29. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 24, 2008

i heard recently that most of the new hiring will take place in the last week of july and then august....

i have read this a good bit on here too...

so chin up everyone....

we should all be doing happy dances in the next few weeks!!

30. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 24, 2008

i took the dates off of my resume for this reason...we are close in age....

31. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

Unfortunatly I can respond to this post :(. I am trying so hard with sending e-mails, calling principals, sending faxes, etc. I want to give up but I won't. I cannot believe it is this hard to get a job. It feels like I went to school for five years for nothing. I work so hard and feel like I have everything together but I have only had three interviews when I applied to over 50 positions. I am so frustrated.

32. GradSTUDENT07

GradSTUDENT07 Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I like your quote and that is exactly the way I feel. God is good and I believe God placed this desire in my heart to teach. A woman once told me that finding a job is about connections....my reply to her was I've got a huge connection....God. God will place you in the right place at the right time. :angel:

33. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2008

GRAD-that's a great way to look at God as your connection to getting a job!! I know that He sees further into my future than I can so He will place me in a job He knows is best for me.

34. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 25, 2008

His ways are not our ways, that's for sure.

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2008

Feel your pain. Today, I used my Office Max, Max Perks rewards, and made resumes on plain goldenrod paper!!! Then I bought the cheapest printer paper I could find. I scrounge around in the back rows, looking at the clearance stuff. If a package of paper is open, they will knock a little off the price. ;) I refuse to buy anymore ivory linen!

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2008

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OTLB - Old Teacher Left Behind

NETLB - No Experience Teacher Left Behind

TMETLB - Too Much Experience Teacher Left Behind

TMDTLB - Too Many Degrees Teacher Left Behind

WITAGTLB - Why Is There A Gap in Your Resume? Teacher Left Behind

IWTMMTLB - I Want Too Much Money Teacher Left Behind

INTRCTLB - I'm Not The Right Color Teacher Left Behind

NATTLB - Need Another Test Teacher Left Behind

INBTLB - I'm Not Billingual Teacher Left Behind

ACWSTLB - Another Candidate Was Selected Teacher Left Behind

AASNATLB - Always a Sub, Never a Teacher Left Behind

:lol::toofunny:

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2008

He may not come when you want Him,
    but He's right on time when you need Him...

38. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

No calls, no nothing:(. I am glad I am not alone in this boat. Every time my faith is down you guys say just the right thing. God is good all the time.:2up:

How about TPPA? Teachers Pity Party Association

39. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 25, 2008

MPK...you never cease to amaze me with your sense of humor. Hey, that could be your back up career move...MPK Stand Up Comic....now at Zany's....LOL.:lol:

40. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 26, 2008

LOL. This pretty much covers it right here. I love it Mastrprek!:up: