who has gotten a job fresh out of college?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Aug 5, 2007.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

i recently graduated and just accepted a teacher's aide position due to the lack of any other job prospects.

i am wondering...how many of you have gotten jobs RIGHT after you graduated college? meaning...graduated in may, got a FULL time teaching job in september.

3. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I know you are asking for those that DID get hired right out of college, but just wanted you to know that there are LOTS that don't.

It took me a year (one school year after graduation) to get hired as a classroom teacher. You're doing the right thing, getting your foot in the door as an aide will keep you working with children in the field you want to be in.

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 5, 2007

I graduated in December of 2006 and started a long term sub in February of 2007. I just got hired on Thursday. You are doing the right thing, gaining experience and getting your foot in the door. If you see it as an opprotunity to gain experience, and let your passion to teach shine through every day---then your principal will take notice!

5. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I got hired right after my credential program, but I was 25, not fresh out of college. I was a manager in a retail store for a couple of years before I went back to school to get my credential. Not sure if that counts.

6. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I was hired half-time teacher the first year and then full-time the next year.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2007

It really depends on where you are. Most here in Louisiana get a job before they graduate. I have never actually sent out a resume. All jobs that I have gotten actually called me and asked if I was interested. There is a definate teacher shortage here. I read how hard it has been for some to get a job teaching and this seems unreal to me because they are begging for teachers in this area.

8. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I had a full time job last year while in my program. I graduate next week with my license and masters and have a job ready to start August 20th. However, I'm special ed, so I know thats different.

My aunt is a middle school teacher and told me that fifteen years ago, when she started, it was almost unheard of for teachers to get hired straight out of school. Almost everyone had to sub for a year or two before getting on with a school district full time.

9. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I interviewed in April, graduated May 5, and signed my contract on May 10. All but two of the girls in my program had a position before graduation. I do realize that this is not the norm.

10. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I was hired before I finished student teaching, but not at the same school.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 5, 2007

Well, my situation is a bit diffferent. I graduated, decided to stay with the program I was with for one more year before I started looking for teaching jobs.
    So I got a job the first time I attempted to get one.
    This summer though, when I was looking to change schools, it was a bit harder to meet all the expectations of what I wanted. So I had to outweigh my positives and my negatives and pick the best option of my three non-ideal options.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2007

It really depends on what area you are in. The only people who get hired "fresh out of college" in my area are people who are related to someone (principal, police officer, etc...). I was an August 06 grad, did not get my license until October 06 and have a job this upcoming year.

13. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I graduated in May of 2006 and got a full-time special education position starting in August. Had I not been certified in teaching special education, I wouldn't have had a job my first year. The job market is so tight around here. I was lucky enough to get a 3rd grade position for my second year.

I know many people who I graduated with still haven't found a job and are planning to sub again next year. Like someone else mentioned, it probably depends a lot on location.

14. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I graduated on December 12th, 2005....I got a LTS job on December 20th, 2005. On March 21st, 2006 I was hired full time at a different school. The key for me was to "verbally commit" to work in a shortage field (in my case it was Special Education). It works out for me and my school....they pay for my MA and they get a certified teacher to work in a job that had been up for bid for three years!

15. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I applied for a Master's program after getting my bachelor's degree and was able to intern at a school. I had my own classroom, took courses at the university, and was paid a beginning teacher's salary that was funded by the district and the university. The following year I was hired for the same position and was at that school for 13 years. I feel that I was lucky to have been in the program as I had a great deal of support from the university during my first year of teaching. I do have many teacher friends who got their first job after being an educational assistant for a year or two. They've said that it gave them additional experience before taking on a class of their own and it gave them an opportunity to get their foot in the door.

16. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 5, 2007

I graduated with my master's degree Dec. 17, 2005... and had signed a contract Dec. 5. Started work January 2006, and have been there since then.

17. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I graduated this past December, and just recently got a full time job for September. None of the girls I graduated with have gotten a job yet. However, I do know of some girls that just graduated this May and have a job for September. All with the same certification. So it's definitely who you know, or being in the right place at the right time. Good luck, and don't give up!!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2007

It's been a million years, but I was hired right away.

But I'm a math teacher.
    And I coach(ed) Speech & Debate.

Either is hard to find. So if I hadn't gotten a job right away, it would have been a sign of a real problem.

19. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Yes, I did. I completed studies for my degree in November 1999 and by middle of December received my academic transcript indicating that i'd completed all course requirements (once that is done here you are considered qualified even without your degree in hand).I then started a permanent full time teaching position as an infants teacher in January 2000. I officially graduated in April 2000.

20. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I graduated June '06 and was hired in July '06.

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2007

I graduated this May and was hired in July. I think it has to do with where you live. I'm in Idaho right now, but even in Missouri where I went to school I think I would have been hired right away. I'm glad I don't live where it's hard to get a job!

22. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2007

I got hired at the same school I student taught at. I student taught in 2nd grade, and got hired for a new 2nd grade position.:) So I graduated May `06 and got hired July `06. This doesn't happen too often in my area either. It's really just the luck of the draw. There is hope for new graduates. Don't give up.:up:

23. Lisa_Teacher

Lisa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I graduated in May '06 and was hired in June '06, but I had to move three provinces away to get a job. It would have been next to impossible to get a full-time job in my home province, right away.

24. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2007

I did, but I probably wouldn't have if a new school wasn't opening when I graduated.

25. obro

obro Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I got lucky. I graduate this summer and the school I student taught at hired me this week. I'm a Social Studies teacher so I could have been subbing for a long time if this position hadnt opened up. I live on Long Island and will commute to NYC. Many teachers I know arent willing to do this which I think is crazy.

26. Youngteacher226

Aug 5, 2007

WOW!! I know that from Long Island to NYC is a drive!!!! You are really dedicated to get up extra early, cross that bridge into the city (which I know will be packed) and go to work...conscience.:up: You deserve getting hired to go through all of that.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2007

It can be, but depends on where you are.

Parts of Nassau county border on Queens. (aka "the city") It's entirely possible to walk from some parts of LI to NYC. You can get to both Queens and Brooklyn without crossing any bridges.

Since Obro brought it up, I'm guessing she's not quite that lucky though, huh?:(

28. IloveKinder

IloveKinder Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I graduated in December 2006 and didn't find anything until March 07when I was hired as a long-term substitute. Then I took a summer school position for June/July. Now I am looking and very nervous because there are thousands of people in just my county looking for teaching position. :(

29. obro

obro Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Actually Obro is a he! I'm from Suffolk Alicecc, but I wont be driving. it will be Long Island Railroad to the subway to a 2 block walk for me. The train is great for getting work done so Im not too upset. My original point was that I am suprised more new teachers arent willing to commute to get that first job---especially where there is public transportation.

30. Youngteacher226

Aug 6, 2007

Okay, I always thought that you had to cross a huge bridge from LI to get to parts of Queens, Manhattan etc. Well, that tells how much I know NYC. I only visited about 7-8 times and was there to shop.:2up:...didn't really pay attention to the commuters.

31. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I was hired Aug 18, 06 and I graduated Aug 28, 06. First interview I had. I was just doing it for practice and ended up getting the job. I applied for a 5th grade opening and got called for 8th grade science.

32. brewergirl

brewergirl New Member

Aug 6, 2007

Well, I just graduated this May, and I did get a job. However, I had to move to a rural area, and I know most of my friends do not have jobs yet. I know here in the Midwest it is all about experience. Hang in there- the right job is out there waiting!

33. o84blondie

o84blondie Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Nj teacher too....

I graduated from college May 2006 and spent all of last summer looking for a job. I went on a lot of interviews (so it's not that there is a lack of job opportunities) but never got a job. School officials would tell me that there were 20 people interviewing for 1 spot and I believe that since I had little experience, the jobs did not come my way. I finally accepted a position at the end of august as a preschool teacher in a private school setting. The pay was lousy but I needed benefits so I couldn't sub and at least I was getting my foot in the door. I learned a lot last year and finally (after going on many more interviews this summer) I landed a job in a public school. I am very excited and want to tell other teacher-hopefuls (especially ones in south jersey) to keep at it and aggressively pursue jobs. Look everywhere (careerbuilder.com, monster.com, and njhire.com and the sunday classified section helped me). You may have to take a job that is not ideal for now but hey-at least it's something! Good luck and what part of jersey are you from??

34. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

i'm actually in north jersey and it's insane up here. it seems that, from looking at other threads on the board, that nj is impossible to get jobs in. hopefully my year as an aide (hopefully it will be less than a year!) will get me a job like you were lucky enough to get. :)

35. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

I, too, am from NJ. I graduated in May 2003 and spent the entire summer interviewing. I was finally hired August 2003 for a full year LTS position in kinder. The following year I had to interview again, as there were no positions where I was an LTS. I finally got hired where I student taught in mid-August.

When I was interviewing, I was told that there were up to 500 applicants for each elem position out there. But don't give up...the right position will come along:)

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2007

My apologies. I figured I had a 50-50 chance:rolleyes:

And I know what you mean. While I'm lucky enough to be going from Hicksville to Uniondale (12 minutes if I make the lights), most people on LI know that the commute is part of the job if they're lucky enough to land a job. When I was applying last year, I figured that anything within a 45 minute commute was possible. (And that was only because I have 3 small kids; when I was a newbie, that radius was a lot larger!)

But congrats on finding something; where will you be teaching?

37. ABCD2503

ABCD2503 New Member

Aug 6, 2007

I got a job when I was in college. I graduated from college Dec. 19th, 2005. I got my job with my current school on the 2nd of December. They said that I could start teaching the students that I would have in December but that I would be paid as an aide until I received noticed from the state board that I had passed all of my test. I stayed with my other job and ended up working 2 jobs my first 1 1/2 yrs of teaching. Best of luck! You can do it!!

38. HMM

HMM Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

A high school (in ohio) was so desperate for math teaches that they contacted me shortly before I graduated with my bachelor's degree (in Applied Mathematics) and asked me if I was interested in working for them. I had never contacted them or any other high school since I wanted to get a Ph.D. and work as a professor.

The moral of this story is that it all depends on what your specialty is and were you are located.

39. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I graduated in Dec '99, was a building sub in Jan '00, and was hired full time in the same district July 00.

40. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I was lucky. Graduated in May 2003 and signed a contract in June '03. This was during a time when the governor was playing political games with education funding and no one was hiring unless absolutely necessary.