Who Has Classroom Pets?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Hamster, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I just bought a guinia pig and a hamster for my 4th grade classroom. Does anyone have pets besides fish?

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2007

I used to have a hamster but had to get rid of it because one child had allergies. :(

4. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I was just thinking about this today. I would love to have a hamster in my classroom! Maybe I should wait until school starts though just in case someone has allergies.

5. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I only have fish, but some teachers that I have worked with in previous years have had hamsters. The kids loved to have them in the classroom (especially since they got to name the hamsters).

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2007

Wow, your username is Hamster!!

I have two gerbils. I am new to it but doing quite well so far. :)

7. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I had Guinea Pigs four years ago, and a foot-long African millipede two years ago, but now our district has made it so difficult that most of us have given up our pets.

You have to have an annual veterinarian's certificate (costs at least $15 per pet unless you can find a vet to donate their services) that states your classroom pet is free of disease or other problems. Students are not allowed to touch or care for the pets, the pets must not be removed from their habitats, etc. etc.

There's not much point any more, with all the rules. :mad:

8. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

We are a very small school with a brand new half time principal coming in. We have 2 third grade classes and 2 fourth grade classes. We are very rural. There are no pet rules. Our high school biology teacher has all kinds of pets like a chinchilia etc, so I figured I could have a guinia pig and a hamster. My kids here at home are in love with both of them already. I figure those helicopter parents will help me clean their cages once a week.

9. peyton1

peyton1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

guinea pig

I have a guinea pig. I taught first grade last year and they named her and absolutely loved it. However, she bit a student who even though repeatedly told not to stuck his finger in the cage. She thought it was a mandarin orange. Ha!! I immediately called and made mom aware and it was fine, but scared me. Not sure she will go back to school this year.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 28, 2007

I had 2 gerbils, but got rid of them in June. They will be missed, but it's better in the long run. I thought they were girls, but turned out to be boys. They fought, so then I had to get two cages, which was a space issue.

Now we only will have our little beta fish left.

11. juc162

juc162 Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I am a first year fourth grade teacher. I am thinking about bringing in my pet rabbit as a class pet. Not sure whether or not I will do it yet since I'll be incredibly busy.

12. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Don't know what I would do with out them!

I have a hamster, fish and a guinea pig(actually 2, a male and female my aid is letting have babies right now!) I have also brought in for visits kittens/cats, puppies/dogs, rats, ferretts, cockatiels, ducks, chicks, worms and ants!

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 28, 2007

I have 2 box turtles, a red eared slider (water turtle), african millipede (mine's not a foot, he/she is about 10 inches), fish, and a pair of rats.

14. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

My first 2 years of teaching were in a small Christian school. My second year I decided I would get a hamster for a classroom pet. Cheap? Easy to take care of? Fun?
    Well the 1st hamster I got ate its way through the box on the way home from the pet store. It was loose in my car for over a week. (I left food and water in the car--big mistake!) We had to take the car to the garage and smoke the poor creature out and then pay to get the smell removed.
    The 2nd hamster I got made it to the classroom but died because of allergies to cedar chips (We always used cedar chips when I was a kid.)
    The 3rd hamster I got made it to the classroom, lived with pine shavings but died due to loneliness (so they told me at the petshop).
    The 4 & 5 hamsters I got lived peacefully together through most of the school year. (The pet store suggested buying 2 hamsters and vitamins as well.) One (David) eventually got sick and passed. The other (Goliath) made an escape while we were on a field trip and one of the kiddos left the top loose.
    We did learn an awful lot about the needs of animals/hamsters that year. We also had a little cemetary and held services for the poor creatures that did not survive.
    I would love to have a pet again but everytime I remember my only experience I just shudder and say maybe next year. Good luck in whatever you decide.

15. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Wow! That is pretty crazy. My old hamster lived 2 years. It did escape and made his way to the cafeteria. The cooks screamed and it ran under the freezer. Our janitor had to crawl around on all fours and catch it. When he got it, it peed on him! We all still laugh about it. I know to secure all doors with heavy duty bulldog paper clips and then they don't escape.

16. science goon

science goon Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Last year I had a rabbit and a tortoise. While teaching 4th grade, I've also had turtles. But when I taught 6th grade science, I had (not all at once!) rabbits, Madagascar hissing cockroaches, anoles, a gecko, an emerald swift, frogs, fish, rats, mice, hamsters, a Burmese python, a turtle, and a tortoise.

17. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

snakes are fun!

My preschool classroom has a pet corn snake. The children enjoy touching and holding him. They are very fascinated during feeding times as well. He creeps out most of the parents tho:lol:

18. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I'm a first year teacher so I don't know if I can have a pet or not. The science teacher at the school has a whole classroom full it seems! I'm hoping to get hermit crabs if I'm allowed. I want to add it into the curriculum somehow so the students are learning from it.

19. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

My hamster for school died yesterday. He only made it 6 days!!! I'm going to try again. The guinia pig is doing fine.

20. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Sorry to hear about hamster's early demise. My only suggestions are pine chips and vitamins and maybe even a buddy hamster (this worked for hamsters 4 & 5).

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

A snake is across the hall. Then the new fifth grade teacher has a snake in formaldehyde. Woot, woot! :woot: For me, that may be going a bit too far... :lol:

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

He died?!? I'm so sorry! :( Is there something he didn't have? I fear my gerbil girls dying every single day because I've never had them before. I got them some items at the new PETCO to get them a little more active, but they sleep in the tubes inside of run through them. These little critters must be more nocturnal.

23. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

I have a beta fish geared up to go. I plan on having my students vote on a name for it the first day of school.

24. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I'm going to have mine vote for the names of my hermit crabs...I may make a graph too

25. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

My kids here at home named our guinia pig Elvis. The name fits him. I'm not getting a hamster until the week before school starts. We start on the 28th.

26. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I had bought the cutest hamster and named her Peanut Butter. I didn't realize hamsters were noctornal until after I bought her. She slept all day while the kids were there, so I took her home, got attached, and she hardly came back to school until the end of the year. I know--not to great for the kids. She passed away in early June.
    Thanks for the ideas on class pets. The graph idea sounds really cool in having the students name the pet. I think I might try beta fish, turtle or a frog.

27. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

I got a new hamster today. Unfortunatly, the one pictured died after 6 days. We are taking extra good care of our new one, Rocko.
    Hopefully the students will like him on Tue.

28. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 24, 2007

I had my kids vote on a name for our class fish (a blue beta). It came down to "Scott" and "Blue Fin." Blue Fin won. I have no idea where they got Scott...

29. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 24, 2007

My students chose the names for the gerbils- Crystal (the one with the white) and Sharpay (the solid gray one). High School Musical!! Ha, ha. It definitely shows here I teach 9- and 10-year olds. :woot:

30. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 24, 2007

I overheard discussion in some groups. Other names were Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller, and Tacky (no idea). I am surprised we didn't have High School Musical names, because my students are obsessed!

31. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

My blue betta is J.R. My kids at home insist on naming my pets. I let them because once school starts they never get to see them anymore.

32. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

I had two pet mice - but one died yesterday. :-( I think I'll run to the store and get another female today so the other doesn't die of loneliness. I had them for half the year last school year - no problems. They didn't smell, I had two kids in charge of cleaning the cage weekly (with parent permission of course). However, this year I don't have a sink in my classroom. I'm thinking of having one family volunteer to take the mice home on weekends (the cage is super light) to clean and feed. We'll see. I haven't thought it out completely yet.

33. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 26, 2007

I had a hamster and it didn't seem to live very long..what about mice? I think i'm going to get a beta though. they are so pretty!