Who has been a lazy butt like me during break?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 2, 2015

I had many days to prepare for the return of students but I haven't done squat!!! Who's in the same boat as I? :eek:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2015

I haven't done school work, but ialsohave t been lazy. Traveled for part of holiday, working out daily,house projects, shopping, family time. I use these vacations for what's on my personal agenda. And part of my agenda is time to rest, reflect and rejuvenate. That's not lazy...it's healthy.:2cents:

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 2, 2015

I'm vaguely aware of the fact that I have a small-but-vicious horde of fearsome 8 year olds waiting for me on Monday, but I haven't done anything to prepare for them.

I don't really think I've been lazy though. It's called break for a reason, right?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2015

I've done next to nothing besides hanging out with my little family. It's been a nice break. :)

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2015

I organized my house, watched my niece several days, read 10 books, and binge-watched Scandal on Netflix- all 56 episodes. I've done nothing school related. I had planned on going into my classroom to do some organizing, but that is not going to happen. Shortly, I'm going to go organize my closet. Then read another book. I have to get my first book in for my Goodreads Challenge. Last year I read 151 books. And several months went by with me only reading 1 or 2 books. My goal is 100 again, but I'm hoping to hit 152 or more!

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2015

Me, but I've been dealing with full-fledged morning sickness, and now another issue on top of that. I barely survived December, but I am at school today trying to put the chaos back together so it's ready for Monday.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 2, 2015

I vowed to not go into work at all during vacation. I've held true to my word!

These next few months will be chock-full of meetings, workshops, trainings, deadlines, etc! I'm enjoying the downtime while I can.

9. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 2, 2015

I had a workday the 22nd so I'm fully prepared for the kids when I get back.

So from the 23rd onward, I have done NOTHING. Nothing for school and pretty much nothing I planned to do around the house.

But I have played Go Fish about 80 times with my oldest son, Uno 50 times, and some Old Maid.

It's been rather nice.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 2, 2015

I haven't done anything work related (well, other than research and choose books for our next round of book clubs.) You're supposed to be lazy on vacation.

It ends today. I have a lot of work to do this weekend, as well as a trip to the library for mentor texts and nonfiction resources. Sigh...

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 2, 2015

I went to the library and picked up some books to read in class but have not done much else school related. We have a work day on Monday so I'll do a lot of work then. There was a lot of reading, Netflix and shopping during the break but I also did everything I needed to get done around the house.

12. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jan 2, 2015

Me!!! It's been a much needed break and I've enjoyed every second of it. I've read a lot of books, played with my son and lounged around the house. And I don't feel one bit guilty about that. Nope. :)

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 2, 2015

I got almost all my work done for the first two weeks back within the first 2-3 days of break. I also have the rest of the year broadly planned (which is what I did during Thanksgiving break). I've actually been antsy because of the lack of work. I usually spend most of my break working.

I still think coming in on Monday is going to be rough though.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 2, 2015

I've been having the "coulda, shoulda, woulda" feeling the last few days! I coulda been reading the next few sections to prep for students returning. I shoulda been doing that but I didn't wanna do any of it... I actually have other more important stuff to get done but I didn't do that either! Now I have today and the weekend before going back to work on Monday! Thank God for the last minute! I wouldn't get anything done if it didn't exist!

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 2, 2015

I have done a bit of school work, but I enjoy the researching and planning. It doesn't feel like to work to me. Mostly, though, I've spent the last 2 weeks enjoying my family who have come from all across the country.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 2, 2015

I haven't done anything, but Monday is a PD day for us and Tuesday is a teacher work day, so I don't have anything to worry about. I never work on school things over breaks.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 2, 2015

HAHA :lol: This is EXACTLY how I feel.... Mine is part procrastination, part being a 3rd year teacher and trying to get a little more life/work balance every year. My 1st year of teaching I would have worked a lot earlier than today. :D (Clearly I'm not working today yet, either, since I'm on here...)

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 2, 2015

I've graded some assignments that arrived in my dropbox over break and set up a couple of things for the writing club I co-sponsor, but I've mostly stayed away from school things. This is really difficult considering I teach from home and my office is right next to my bedroom. It's second nature for me to wake up and log in even before starting the coffee.

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2015

I REALLY wish we had teacher workdays, but we do not have any built into our schedule. In order to stay on top of things, I really need to work at least one day over most breaks. I was actually looking forward to being able to get a little bit more done because I wasn't out of town for the whole break like I usually am, but that didn't happen. If we had a teacher work day occasionally, I wouldn't worry about it as much.

20. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 2, 2015

Oh lesson plans, that's what Sunday evening is for, right? :). I've been far too busy organizing and redecorating my house to worry about those. When school is in session, my house tends to suffer, so I decided to do something about it during this break.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 2, 2015

I haven't done a darn thing work related over break. For my own job, that is. My husband is opening his own business so we've stayed busy with that. But my own job-no way. I even shut off my email notifications on my phone. Just don't want to know about it until Monday.

I've done a lot of organizing, deep cleaning, and binge-watching Sons of Anarchy. I'm up to Season 4. I wish I would have watched that show when it was on-great, great show. But it's nice to watch on Netflix-no waiting!

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 2, 2015

That's what I love about Netflix. Everyone complains about having to wait a week or longer to see the next episode of something. Not when I watch Netflix! I was thinking about watching Sons of Anarchy but am finishing up a few other series first. It's great for relaxing during a long break. I'm already looking forward to my February break LOL :haha:

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 2, 2015

I love it so much! I started on Breaking Bad, another show I never got into when it was on, and I liked it but it just didn't grab me. I watched the first episode of SOA and I was hooked. I kind of know what happens based on things I've read, but I still love watching the drama unfold. It is very violent though.

24. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 2, 2015

I had to go back to work today for a 1/2 PD and 1/2 work day, and I am not very happy about it. :mad: We have more PD on Monday. The only work I did before today was grade some writing assignments that I should have done earlier in the month, before the break, but never got around to. Since report cards were due, I had to get it finished. It took about 2.5 hours, and that's all the work I did over the break. The rest of the time was for sleeping in, cooking, working out, hanging out with family, watching Netflix, reading, shopping, and working on my resume.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 2, 2015

I went up one day and wrote plans until the middle of Feb. today I spent a few hours making copies. We get a day and half next week with no kids and no pd, but the rush on the machines would be crazy. However, I also had two days in a row where I stayed in pjs and read. (I read Wild in one day. :) )

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 2, 2015

I'm on day 14 of my 16 days off. So far I have . . .
    • worked in my classroom for a few hours last Sunday
    • eaten out with friends several times
    • gone shopping a few times
    • worked at my church
    • worked in my yard
    • worked in my house
    • did my first painting
    • did some sewing
    • did some organizing at BF's house
    • taught Mom to use her Kindle Fire
    • answered email from principal and assistant superintendent
    • stayed up all night/slept all day/napped

27. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2015

I went across state to visit with kids, finished a closet of stuff that needed to be downsized, helped a friend move.....lots of stuff.

School work? Umm it is in a pile on the floor in my bay window....I'll get to it.....eventually.

Yeah, sure I will. :D

28. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 2, 2015

Our six weeks ended before the break and we were required to have all grades entered before we left. That means no papers to grade! :)

29. melnm

melnm Companion

Jan 2, 2015

I haven't done anything school related, although I did stay after the Friday school got out for about five hours after the kids left and worked in my room. Over break I moved and went out of town to visit family. I haven't really had time to just rest and relax. I need another week!

30. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 3, 2015

Yesterday I couldn't remember all the names of my students. Can't remember what I was doing but I needed their names. I had to look at the IEP website. Not kidding - thought it was hilarious. Serious brain break.

I get teacher site feeds on my Facebook page and in the last week have gone onto Pinterest and other sites to look for materials/activities. That's been about it.

Today (Saturday) I might go into the stuff I brought home and do some planning.

Great vacation from school. Now I'm just hoping I can remember their names on Monday.

31. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2015

Husband and I just finished the Walking Dead marathon last night. That left very little time for anything else. At least I'm prepared for a zombie apocalypse.

32. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jan 3, 2015

We were actually told that we are NOT allowed to go into school to get work done. Despite this, I've read four professional books and done some research on activities for the upcoming months. I still have lesson plans and grading to do tomorrow.

33. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2015

I am having those same "coulda, woulda, shoulda" kind of feelings...I spent about 5-6 hours in the classroom on a day before New Years, and then am probably going to spend 4-5 today, and then have probably spent 10-20 hours (when condensed to disclude all of the "breaks" :)) at home...but was not as focused for some of that time as I could've been.

34. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

We were supposed to work? You mean, on something that didn't involve fixing a feast of some sort every couple of days? If so, I missed that memo. I just got home from buying groceries so that I can feed myself this coming week, and I thought that was doing pretty good. I laughed out loud at the person who had to look up students names - we should all be so lucky to truly disconnect for the holidays. I'm supposed to be fixing dinner, instead of typing on my computer, but hubby will only have the choice between leftover ham or leftover chicken. The dear man will say "Whatever is easier." That's why it has been a long and happy marriage! School will be there tomorrow, and it will be fine to be there, but it has been even better to be totally away for the break, and I don't regret that at all.

35. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 4, 2015

I graded all day today. Grades are due tomorrow at midnight, and we're in training all day tomorrow.

36. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

All I have to do now is bookmark this, so I will know who to call when the zombie apocalypse reaches NJ. Oh, shoot - what if it starts here? I will be bummed out about having a resource but no time to phone a friend! (I did get caught up on my Dr. Who episodes, however. Maybe we can swap intel.) ;)

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 4, 2015

Spent part of the day scrambling because a quiz I'm supposed to have ready for Tuesday at the latest didn't load properly and was stored in a different place than I had expected to find it. Fun stuff.

38. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 4, 2015

I've done nothing school related and it was glorious! I did just get my kids clothes and backpacks ready for the morning because I'm expecting us all to be grouchy in the morning. I've spent lots of time reading, playing with my kids and cleaning my house and organizing drawers and closets. My school year is moving along nicely and my kids are actually playing for large chunks of time without me having to intervene, so this was the most relaxing break I've had in years.

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

I just boiled some eggs for snacks during the week and my new tea mug is on the table ready to put into my bag in the morning. That's as ready as I'm going to get tonight.

40. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2015

Guilty of being a lazy butt right here! I figure most of the year I am working my toosh off so I can be lazy right now.

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 5, 2015

I caught up on a bunch of HULU shows and some on Netflix. I figured it was a BREAK so it's not really being lazy. Lazy is doing nothing ALL year when school is in session (like some of my co-workers :unsure: ).