Who has an iPad

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by jen12, Nov 20, 2011.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 20, 2011

My uncle hinted about possibly getting me an iPad for Christmas. Frankly, it's never been on my radar, but if someone wants to buy you a gift like that, you can't really say, "but I'd rather have...."

I already have a laptop and a desktop, but both are PCs. I don't have a lot of experience with Macs, so I'm curious about what the iPad can do. Does it have full out word processing and spreadsheet capabilities like word and excel on a PC? Or is it strictly for interet access? Can it store photos? Play CD's? Can I charge and download my iPod from it?

We have an Apple store where I could probably go in and play with a demo one, but there's always a line just to get in the store. Unbelieveable how popular the store seems. The ipads are so expensive, I don't see him actually buying one for me, but if one were to appear under the tree, it would be nice to know what it can do.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2011

Love, love, love mine.

I don't word process on mine.

You can:
    Use it like a kindle
    Store photos
    Download apps (that probably the best part)
    You can link all your i stuff

I have the iPad 1, the iPad 2 does more.

Check all the features here:
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/

I'm addicted.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2011

I have an iPad2. Love. :)

I use it mostly for browsing, but it can do much more! You can word process and work with spreadsheets and such. You cannot insert discs (but you can put your music in your iTunes collection). You can store photos on it (but I imagine one of your other devices is more suited for bulk storage). Unless there is a gadget I'm unaware of, you can't charge your iPod through your iPad. There are incredible apps!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 20, 2011

From what I read, you can do limited word processing with an app (software) bought in the iTunes store (Mac's online store located on all Mac products).

I don't have an iPad but as an iTouch user (mini version), I can tell you that I started off wondering what's so great about it and now we've had to buy two for the house because with 5 of us, someone is always on it.

Though it can be quite functional, it's real pleasure is being an entertainment companion. The video display on the products tends to be really spectacular. The apps tend to be high quality and visually appealing.

My husband now uses it to watch movies at night. I use it to read books. We browse the internet and we definitely play a variety of games.

It seems redundant to a laptop user. In some ways it is. The difference is in the apps available at the iTunes store (some free and some not), the display, and mostly how portable it truly is (even more so than a laptop).

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 20, 2011

I don't know how much we've actually spent on apps in the last several years but I can say that it would be conservative to say over 80% of our apps have been free. Ocassionally I buy one or choose to upgrade to support the developer (for future updates).

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 20, 2011

My principal has an ipad & a laptop. I can say from watching him use it, the ipad is more portable than the laptop. He puts his morning notes on it instead of using his phone for notes.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 20, 2011

It's kind of like an iPod on steroids from what I've seen of them. All of our administrators have them, and some of the kids have them.

My mom asked me what kinds of gadgets I didn't have. An iPad is the only one, so I told her. I'd love to have one, but I don't think she's serious about getting me one.

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 20, 2011

They are super-expensive. It's not the kind of thing I'd buy for myself. If I had that kind of money I'd buy a digital SLR. I'm not really comfortable accepting something that pricey as a gift, either, but it's fun to think about.

10. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 20, 2011

Do you have to pay for extra service like with the phone? Or will it pick up the wifi signal in the house, Starbucks, etc?

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2011

It picks up the wifi.

I got mine free with Scholastic points last year.:D

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 20, 2011

You probably CAN pay for extra services but I know you don't have to. It picks up on wifi spots.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2011

I have an ipad2. I use it mostly to take notes during meetings, go online through wifi at school and home, and play games. I actually hadn't wanted one, but I love mine. My husband got it for me as an early birthday present, since he knew he would be deployed on my birthday.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 20, 2011

Far, do you video conference with your spouse on it while he is away?

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2011

I have, but I don't usually. We've been talking on FaceTime, through our phones. My iPad has FaceTime too, but it's easier for me to hold up the phone. I have skype too on the iPad, but FaceTime is easier for him since he can use wifi with his phone.

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 20, 2011

I want it to replace my notebooks I carry to small group and individual conferring meetings with kids. For example, I record a +, -, or checkmark for different comprehension activities in a small center. I do this kind of thing for all different subjects, and will be so happy to lose the notebooks! I asked for one for Christmas.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2011

You can purchase either the model that uses 3G or the one that requires a plan just like a cell phone.

18. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 20, 2011

I have one that I got as a gift. If someone is giving it to you for free, sure it's a fun little gadget (I got it from a family member who had a hefty employee discount). How someone would pay 500 bucks for it, is beyond me. It's essentially a small computer that doesn't do as much as a laptop (and my laptop was about 200 bucks less than an ipad). The apps are fun- I pretty much use mine for entertainment. Trying to type on it like a laptop drives me nuts because I either have to hunt and peck or try to type like normal and make tons of mistakes because it's totally flat and the keys are so close together. It's small size makes it convenient for travel, but I actually just brought mine home with me for Thanksgiving and I admit I wish I just had my laptop. I already bring tons home with me so it's not like I'm obsessed with packing light anyway. I don't use it at work at all-again I have a laptop (macbook pro) provided by the school that I use for everything. Almost all of the apps I have are free, so there is alot you can do on there for free. I mean, if someone's offering it as a gift, I wouldn't say no. It's not something I would ever, ever consider spending so much of my own money on though.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2011

I would have paid at least a couple hundred more for mine...I absolutely love it. Well worth the investment to me. :)

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 20, 2011

I would love one but I don't think it would replace an actual laptop (for the heavy duty stuff) for me either. At minimum I would need a plug in or wireless physical keyboard to use with it when I needed it.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2011

I've considered the keyboard, but then realized I've gotten pretty speedy on this screen. Still not out of the question, but I want to keep it simple. If I used it for word processing other than meeting notes and such I would likely need/want one.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2011

Does anyone know if there is a good drawing program on the ipad 2?

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 8, 2013

I'm reviving this thread because I'll probably get an iPad in July mostly for personal use & I don't know a thing about iPads.

Regarding this issue, what if I want to bring my iPad on a road trip & I'm far from any wifi spots. There's some kind of choices of plug-in's to purchase with pay as you go internet service, similar to how there's those laptop sticks right? How much are they generally?

So these days, there's 16, 32, 64, & 128 GBs. I don't plan to store that much, so I assume a 16 or 32 is good enough?

Anyone have one with the Retina Display & how is it?

I see the iPad 5 is coming out:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_...ing-next-week-gumdrop-cases-is-betting-on-it/

Does the average user really need a 4 or is 2 enough?

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 8, 2013

We have a 1, 2, and 4. The 4 is fun because of Siri, but it uses a different charger. Personally I like the two best. A refurbished one from apple is cheaper and has the same warranty.

25. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

I guess I am the only one who's completely against an iPad for personal use. When I got broken into, my P let me take home the iPad so I can have internet, so I had a chance to check it out.

In my opinion, it doesn't do anything, that other devices don't / can't do.
    These are things I can't do on it:
    - save anything to a flash drive (so I can't plan my lessons)
    - listen to or burn a cd
    - typing is very difficult
    - couldn't even use the keyboard with another language to talk to my mom, because I would have to change the language of the entire iPAd, not just switch the keyboard like on a PC
    - couldn't enter my grades because the software wasn't supported
    - could't even play simple games from websites like mahjon,g because it wouldn't show up.

I can watch a movie on TV. I never thought I would want to watch a movie on a laptop, the screen is so small. Even if the iPad has better resolution, why are watching movies on smaller devices? And pay more to get bigger tvs??
    I can read an actual book. I still prefer an actual book, and not an electronic device (so for me, kindle is out, too)

The only thing I could use it for was to go online (although typing anything on a message board like her, or internet was difficult) and to take some crazy pictures with one of the apps, that was funny.
    Other than that, it's completely useless for me, for personal use.

26. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 8, 2013

You should be able to use the keyboard for another language... I do on my iPhone. I can't imagine it wouldn't be supported on an iPad.

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

When I tried to switch to the Hungarian keyboard, it would switch the entire language of the iPAd. On a PC there is a small language bar on the bottom, and you just click on it, it switches what you type. I often switch back and forth, writing to my mom in Hungarian, and writing here in English, etc. Sometimes I get forget and then I type weird characters here.
    IT's easy on the PC, but a hassle on the iPad. Even when the iPad switches, I still didn't see the special characters that are the most important like é, á, ö, ú, etc.

28. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jun 8, 2013

Linguist, I have an iPhone and am able to toggle between several languages right there on the keyboard. I would assume the iPad has the same capability. You may have tried this already, but did you go to settings - general - keyboard - keyboards - add new keyboard? (Don't go to international and change the language, because that changes everything, I believe!). I have never had an issue with mine switching the entire iPhone to the other language, unless the iPad is different..?

29. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

I tried what you said, adding a keyboard, but then the only way to switch was to change the language. I have to go back and look for how to just switch, I guess I've missed that.
    I think the iPad is helpful though for someone who wants to type in a different alphabet, like Russian, Greek, Arabic, etc. Up until now I had to get stickers for my keyboard to type Arabic.

30. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jun 8, 2013

Hmm bummer! There must be a way, though! Good luck!

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2013

If the iPad keyboard has an "option" key, the acute accent is probably option-e: hold down option key, type lower case e, then type whatever letter gets the acute accent - that's the way it works on a Mac, anyway. Similarly, the umlaut is option-u plus the letter, the circumflex is option-i plus the letter and the tilde is option-n plus the letter. An assortment of other useful characters are accessible the same way: option-apostrophe gives the ligature æ, option-c gives the cedilla ç (I hope the characters I intended come across), and so on.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 8, 2013

I'm sure I'll get another desktop down the road...not completely sure about a Mac though. I know it's best to be compatible, but aren't there conversion accessories I can buy to still do thing between a PC and the iPad?

33. monsieurteacher

Jun 8, 2013

An iPad will be compatible with a PC just fine. It uses iTunes to sync.

34. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jun 8, 2013

There are apps that can wirelessly move your pictures and videos from ipad to computer etc.

Also, if you have or set up a dropbox account, it is easy to store files or things you want to access on ipad.

I LOVE my ipad! I have a ipad 3 which is the first one with the microphone/dictation thing. It also has the retina display. Honestly, I use an ipad 2 at work occasionally and the only difference between the 2 and 3 that I can see is retina display, siri, and microphone.

To be honest, I cannot really do much work on the ipad..but for calendar, lists, games, surfing, banking etc. it is awesome. Perfect size and portability. I rarely ever use my laptop anymore but still use my desktop.

I have the 64 GB but probably the 32 is a good compromise. Also, I do have 4g capability and pay for the monthly data plan so I can use it anywhere and don't have to worry about finding wireless when I am out. Good luck deciding!!

35. monsieurteacher

Jun 8, 2013

For special characters on the iPhone (and I assume it would be the same for the iPad) you hold down on the letter, and several options will come up.

36. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 9, 2013

I am responding on my iPad now. I mainly use it as a web cam, to read books (including downloading textbooks for school), search the web, watch movies, play games and do video blogs. I also carry it to church since I have a bible app and I take notes on it.

The only annoying thing is it doesn't hold a charge more than a day unless you use it sparingly which can be a pain because I end up charging my phone, iPad, kindle and iPod at the sometime occasionally which could overload the circuits I'm sure.

I like the size and clarity of the screen more than my Kindle Fire. It's really cool too that my mom got me a keyboard so I can type on it

37. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 9, 2013

I use my iPad frequently, but only need to charge it about every three days.

38. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 9, 2013

It's probably how you're using it.

39. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jun 9, 2013

Mine consistently holds a charge of at least ten hours of use plus standby time. Believe me, I have tested it. Sometimes it seems short but when I check the usage I see that I have been using it for longer than thought lol. Overall, I probably charge it fully every two to three days and that is with lots of use.

I use the onscreen keyboard. You get used to it and its not that bad.

40. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 9, 2013

Do you keep it dim? I know that effects the life of my iPad.

41. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2013

I bought one for my DD for Christmas. She loves it.