Who has an acutal teaching portfolio?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CDOR79, Jun 1, 2014.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jun 1, 2014

Who has an actual teaching portfolio?

Just curious of who actually has one already put together and what exactly does it look like? Is it in a binder, folder, etc.?

How many pages is it?

Thanks!

3. HRE

HRE New Member

Jun 1, 2014

My portfolio is in a 1" binder. It includes the following:

1) "welcome to my portfolio" page with a photo of me and a relatively informal introduction
    2) cover letter
    3) resume
    4) reference list
    5) copy of teaching certificate
    6) teaching philosophy
    7) management plan
    8) 3-4 sample lesson plans
    9) a page on assessment
    10) sample rubric
    11) about 5 pieces of student work

I will say, however, that I've been to 8 interviews so far and have only been asked about it twice--one principal asked to see it and seemed to pay attention to the contents, one principal just glanced through it because I'd brought it and she was being nice. At all the other interviews, the portfolio was never even opened nor mentioned. I'm looking for high school jobs, though, so it may be more important for elementary or middle.

Hope this helps! :)

4. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 1, 2014

Mine is similar.

I also made mini portfolios with just my cover letter, resume, lesson plan, and a few pictures of student work on one page that I left behind.

It's your job to use your portfolio or not.
    In my interviews, I flipped to a specific page to match their questions and pass it around.

5. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 1, 2014

My portfolio is very similar to HRE's, and I took to every interview I had last year (including the two screening interviews I did for two different districts). I offered my portfolio to all of the interviewers. Never once did any of them ask if I had one, and all but one refused to look at it when I offered it.

But..., I like having it just in case it comes in handy. It might. So I will continue to bring it with me on interviews. I have had one interview so far this hiring season, and I did not offer it to anyone during that experience. But if the opportunity had come up, I would have! So what if they turn it down, at least it shows I am coming in prepared.

I did prepare a packet folder with a copy of my resume, my credential, three letters of recommendation and a sample of a classroom newsletter I used and left that with the hiring team.
    Sheilah

6. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 1, 2014

I have a portfolio in a binder and I also have a website. They both contain the same information.

My three inch binder is divided up into five sections. I used Avery Clear Pocket Clear Label dividers and created a title page for each section. It lists what is included in that part of my portfolio. Using clip art, I added a border around each page. I used the same fonts throughout the binder to keep it consistent. I also decorated the front of the binder with scrapbook paper and my name at the bottom. The five sections are listed below. I have included the title of each section as well as what I have in that part.
    1. Resume - My title page for this section just has my name and a clip art image. Copies of my resume are stored in a page protector sheet.
    2. Teaching Style - educational philosophy, teaching strategies, differentiated instruction, motivating students, Catholic faith in the classroom
    3. Classroom Management and Environment - behavioral expectations, letter of expectations for parents, room environment, routines and procedures, weekly schedule
    4. Lesson Plans - lesson plans, curriculum map, two week thematic unit
    5. Parent Communication - letter of introduction, weekly newsletter, positive communication, request for parent assistance regarding behavior

I use my portfolio throughout the interview to show pictures and give principals a visual of who I am as a teacher. At most interviews I just use the binder as a reference, but I recently went on an interview where the principal asked to look through the entire portfolio.

7. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 1, 2014

A portfolio is good to have when you are a new graduate or haven't been out of the teaching profession. However, if you haven't taught a real class in a few years, a portfolio is basically worthless.

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 1, 2014

I've been teaching a while and we just moved. So I kinda panicked that I didn't have one. So I put together things I thought they may ask me about. So I put the following:

An example of my newsletter, both upper grades and lower grades
    An example of my behavior management
    An example of guided reading; lower grade
    An example of a literacy club; upper grade
    An example of guided math, lower level
    An example of math extensions, upper grades
    and of course my resume, letters of reference, and a few pages from my blog that I kept for my parents.

This way, when they asked what I did, I could reference it with an example. I think if I hadn't gotten the job, I might have added a way I keep track of student data and RTI etc. Maybe even conferring notes.

If you can't reference the portfolio it is kind of useless.

9. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 1, 2014

wow A 3-inch binder? I have been pondering this because in school we were asked to make one and only one principal wanted to look at it, only because she said she'd worked so hard on hers....
    anyway I was recently at a education expo and there was a panel of principals and they literally told the crowd not to bring one because it's uncomfortable having it there on the table if they don't want or have time to see it.

However, I think it would really help (at least me) to have it to use for specifically referencing to for the basic questions to show pictures. I think of it like I'm making a presentation. I'm just starting work on it. I'm going to make it in a word doc adding pictures with short phrases- things I can glance at to remind me of talking points. They aren't going to read any long passages. They need something they can look at from across a big table. I'll probably make a brochure too.

I just bought this one (priced checked, this is the lowest- only 6.88!- free shipping)
    [​IMG]

10. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jun 2, 2014

I've never taught before but here's mine - just a one-inch binder with dividers:

1. Welcome/"title" page
    2. Cover letter, resume, 3 letters of recommendation, copy of license
    3. My teaching philosophy (1 page)
    4. Photos of students and work from lessons I taught
    5. Lesson plans I actually led during student teaching, plus materials that correlate to the lessons
    6. Reading strategies and literature circle packets I have used

11. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jun 21, 2014

I applying for first real job and I was under the impression this is mandatory and really important.

12. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 21, 2014

abat jour - I think it may depend on where you go. My university supervisor was a retired principal of 20 years. She told us that P's usually don't have the time or care about going through a portfolio, and that the only reason we had to make one was because we needed it to graduate. After that, she didn't care what we did with it. Granted, it was an electronic portfolio..

I did go ahead and make a physical one to take with me, even though it is very sparse since I do not have very much experience. A P may want to see it, or I have used it as a reference before like others have posted. I always have a bag with me when I interview and I keep it in there until either they ask for it, or if I want to refer to something within my portfolio.

13. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jun 21, 2014

thank you for the info A portfolio seems pretty indicative of your ethic towards teaching, it saddens me it isn't considered.

14. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

I never even made a teaching portfolio and it was never brought up in any of my interviews. I don't think principals really have time for them. All they really want to hear about is your classroom management skills and you can't show that off in a portfolio.

15. DKM

DKM Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

That right there. I have a copy of my classroom rules AND routines in my binder that are made into signs for students to read. This seals the deal with employers to assure them that you have precise plans to control a classroom. If a principal senses that you don't know how to run one... he/she isn't going to hire you. "They got 99 problems and your classroom ain't one"

16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 21, 2014

Mine is online too. It looks really cool but I doubt whether anyone would take the time to go through it. :mellow: I am putting together a small, hard copy one.