Who has a Cricut?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2009

My mom and I were watching a television program about the Cricut. Mom was mesmerized and said a few times, "Wow, imagine how you can use that in the classroom!" We went to Wal-Mart's website and saw a price for it for a little under $300.00. It may be a great holiday present. I was wondering who has one, the ways you've used it, and how easy it is to use.

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE one! I am just too cheap.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

What is it? You have me curious!

5. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I have one. It is super easy to use. I haven't used mine in the classroom yet, but the school's after school program also has one and we used that at the end of the year for the fifth graders' scrapbooks.

I will be keeping my eyes open in my classroom this year for opportunities to use it.

Ways to use it: customized bulletin board letters, 50 states, other shapes, paper dolls cartridge to create people and clothes.

6. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

LOVE LOVE LOVE mine...

I have used it more times than I can count!

7. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

it is a die-cut machine basically

8. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I have one and LOVE IT! You should come over & check it out. I ama ctually getting ready to start a week or so of cutting for things I need for my classroom. It is so nice to be able to make the stuff I need for my bulleting boards and such....

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

Don't you have to buy cartridges? I drool over them when I go to Micheals, but the cartridges are REALLY expensive!! Is there a group where you can trade them??

10. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I usually catch them on sale at Micheals or there are a couple of web sites where you can get them for $25-40 each.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

I wonder if Michael's will let you use a 50% coupon to buy one.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2009

Hey, maybe they'll let you use the coupon.

It really seems like a wonderful tool and a good investment. :) Additionally, I scrapbook, so I wouldn't just be using it for the classroom.

13. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 20, 2009

I love mine and use it all the time. I do all of my bulletin board letters with it and its great because I always have the right letter. I started by stocking up with alphabet cartridges and now I am looking at more shape cartridges. They have tons of educational ones. I have the original which won't go bigger then 6" and last week Michael's was selling them $100. The expression ($300) will cut a shape up to 12" by 24", the create will go 12" by 6" because you can rotate a shape so it will cut up to 12" tall.

Jem there are websites to get them much cheaper. The most I have ever paid for a cartridge is $45 but I really wanted it and use it all the time. Most websites will run specials with deals and eBay also has tons listed for cheap. Some scrapbooks stores run a rental on cricut cartridges much like blockbuster does with movies

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

My building has an Ellison machine and quite a few die-cuts.

Any chance your PTO or PTA might buy something for the use of everyone in the building?

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2009

I am interested in the Cricut Expression, by the way. I know, a huge investment, but a great one. :)

16. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 20, 2009

Michaels will NOT let you use the coupon on these products...says it right on the coupon. It is a great tool. I have the original one right now, which I use for scrapbooking....if I ever land a teaching position I will get the Cricut Expression (makes bigger cuts!) for use in my classroom. Great tool and I would recommend!

17. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 20, 2009

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 20, 2009

We have 2 die cut machines at the school with probably 200 patterns, of course all the letters and most anything else you can think of. I would find out if the PTA would be willing to buy one for the school.

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

:eek:what? I was just going to recommend using Michael's 40% off coupon...it says that's it's good for anything regular-priced. I've not seen any fine print...what does it say, Bloom?
    Rats; that's too bad!

20. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 20, 2009

The fine print on my local Michaels coupons specifically mentions not for use on Cricut products. Maybe it is just here in the IL area.....

21. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

The M's coupons here say the same thing. So do the Joanne's coupons, unless Cricut stuff is specifically on sale.

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2009

What about Hobby Lobby? I would LOVE a Cricut, but can't afford one right now.

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2009

I just checked Amazon - it's about $260 there for the Expression (and no shipping with Amazon Prime)

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2009

I have the smaller Cricut. I bought it brand new and sealed in the box from eBay for a good price. I noticed they were on sale for the same price at Michael's just two weeks or so agao.

I sometimes regret not getting the bigger one, but at the same time the smaller when really is all I "need", and the smaller one is "cuter". Yeah, I know...stupid reason.

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2009

I soooooooo want one, for the classroom and for scrapbooking.

26. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I have been drooling over a Circut Expression for months. I just have not been able to mentally justify the cost.

27. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

All of the stores (AC Moore, Michaels, Joanns) have disclaimers on coupons specifically so you can't use them on the cricut. I would love one, too.

The cartridges are often on clearance at most of the stores.

28. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 20, 2009

I've got the E and leave it at school during the year. You can do much more than just cut with the cartridges if you purchase a program called Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). I create characters from the various books we are reading, students use it for their book reports, projects, etc. Joann's has the E on sale this week and at some stores teachers are allowed an additional 15% off. My students make ABC books as a form of book reports and they love to use the machine. It's fully tax deductible as a related school expense so indulge yourself. Michael's has the baby bug on sale for $99.00 this week.

29. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 21, 2009

Who has the little bugs? Other than making limited sizes compared to the expression, do they do the same things? I'm thinking about getting the mid size one, but I'm worried that I will always want to larger one.

30. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2009

The cuttlebug makes VERY small cut-outs. I'm holding out for the Cricut!

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

We have an Ellison machine at school...it's great.

32. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

I signed up with the teacher group (called The Knack) through Michaels and get emails with coupons and such regularly. I just recently got an email that the Cricut machines were only $99 in July as opposed to $200 or more regularly. I don't think this is for the Expression machine which costs more. I deleted the email but you might check this out at Michaels.

33. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

I have one, but have not used it to make anything for my classroom. Any pics of ideas?

34. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 21, 2009

There are currently 3 levels of machines. The Expression is the largest and makes cuts basically up to 12 x 24. The Create has all the features of the E but the cuts are 6 x 12 (same size as the baby bug). Then there is the baby bug which cuts 6 x 12. If you purchase Design Studio then one can change images around and weld words together, along with other options. The machine at Ms for $99.99 is the baby bug.

35. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 21, 2009

I would love to have one ...and also one of the YuDo things that you can use to do silk screening. Unfortunately, neither is in the budget any time soon....

36. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 21, 2009

I think I'm missing something. Paying $300 once I can imagine for what it does but then having to buy additional cartridges for each shape you want and having that cost a lot of additional money on top of that---that seems a bit too pricey!!

37. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

I saw them at JoAnn's yesterday and told my husband that I wanted one. He asked why and what I would use it for. I said I didn't know but it looks so cool. (He does the same thing with tools. He wants all these tools but has no idea what he'd use them for!)

38. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 21, 2009

Each cartdige is full of different shapes the ones with Alphabets often will cute the letters in 6 different ways along with some other various designs on them. Plus typically you can get them cheap from different places.

Its no different then Suzzix or ellison except now I just punch in what I want and hit cute as apposed to changing the dye cut and I can get things from small to large with out changing the "dye". Suzzix and Ellisons typically you have to buy the different size dye of the same shape.

39. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

The thing I love about the Cricut that I cannot do with the Ellison or Sizzix is choose the size of my item. I have the Expression and the Design Studio software, and I love making my own bulletin board sets to go with what we are doing in class. I also make awards and such for my students with it. Even DH has me make stuff for his classroom. I've got about 20 cartridges, and I use them all the time - definetly worth the money for me.

40. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I would love to have one of these. I never thought about the school purchasing one, what a wonderful idea. But my p is too cheap for that. :D

41. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jul 22, 2009

I just saw an infomercial for the Expression today. It is really neat and there are tons of things you can do with them. They said it comes with two cartridges with over 7200 designs on them.