Who else misses it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DamienJasper, May 2, 2020.

1. DamienJasper

DamienJasper Rookie

May 2, 2020

School year is winding down here; last day is technically May 24th. Same as last year; I was back in my room May 27th getting things ready, planning for next year (this year) and overall taking inventory in my room. Oh if only I knew then what I know now...

Anyhoo, I found myself getting bored and agitated around the end of June. I was really impatient and eager to get another school year started. This one was a good year (my 2nd). Vast majority of my students were showing a lot of growth in their learning and liking my class. I'd heard it said when I first started that 'children crave structure' when I first started. Internally I rolled my eyes and thought "Yeah, whatever that means". But damned if I didn't learn how true it is. Some of the other teachers sort of looked on in horror at the beginning of this year at how structured, disciplined and boot-campish I was with my students the first 2 weeks. Naturally of course, that was all just laying ground work. I'm a lot more like a game show host than a drill instructor. By Spring, a great many students had my class pegged as their favorite one and more often than not, they would juxtapose that with saying how much they didn't like classes that were disorganized or chaotic. Really felt like I was doing something right. Heck, I was looking forward to the ISAT tests.

I'd said to one of my supervisors at the district office that a good day at this job is like having all the riches of the world. I still feel that way. I would have been sad to end any school year the way this one is ending, but this one cuts especially deep. I had a Zoom Mad Libs session with some of my students a couple of weeks ago. They saw the classroom in the background and expressed how much they missed it.

It's a little hard for me to separate in my head when I'm missing them or missing my routine. This summer is going to be rougher than last, especially since I (and I assume most of us) don't know when, if or how next year is going to start. Last summer, at least I had the hard beginning date of the school year to look to. This time, obviously, "when we start again" is kind of an abstraction.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 2, 2020

I’m not missing school, at all. I’m practically in my summer mindset at this point. I’m still getting my job done, but it’s so flexible, and the workload is so light. I’m going to enjoy this time I have and the summer break. I’m going to mentally prepare for returning to school on the scheduled August start date until I hear otherwise.

whizkid and Tired Teacher like this.