Who else is afraid of the dark? Confessions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jan 25, 2009.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

Is this normal? I am still afraid of the dark and of being alone. Especially of being alone.

I am pretty comfortable in my apartment now. It is very small and if I leave the doors open, I can see most of it. But when I go to bed, I check EVERYTHING - closets, doors locked, etc., before I go to sleep. My old apartment had a very long hall and sometimes I just got petrified and would just sit in the living room afraid to go to my room. In this place, I sleep with the light on in the living room so that my room is darkened but I can still pretty much see everything. I like living in an apartment because I know my neighbors are very close by and any noises I hear I can attribute to them. My cat also keeps me company and makes me feel not so alone.

I was raised on a farm where we were pretty far back off the road and fields all around us - no houses. So you would think I would be used to it, but I used to be scared all the time then, too.

This bothers me so much because I am moving in with my boyfriend this summer and we are looking at houses. He really wants to live in the woods in the middle of no where with no neighbors and be a hermit. That is NOT going to fly. I have tried to explain to him my phobias but I just don't think he totally gets it. I am afraid to live in a house with more than one story - I can't see what is downstairs or in the basement or attic. I am afraid to be home when he isn't. I am not afraid of anything in particular, but when I am in that situation, I start making up a lot of strange things, both "real" and supernatural. If I lived in an older house, I would probably convince myself it was haunted.

I think having a dog would help but I know BF doesn't want to get one yet since I am talking about going back to school full time.

I feel silly confessing all this, but I don't think it is all that uncommon in adults. Anyone feel the same way? Anyone have any tips? Anyone think I need to go to a psychiatrist? :lol:

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 25, 2009

I can be alone now. I guess I'm not truly alone now since my kids are older but when they were younger my husband would have to have his marine buddies come sleep on the couch when he had field duty.

I was okay, in general, being alone but I was terrified something would happen when my hearing aid was off and I couldn't hear it. I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to protect my children. I also don't like shadows and the thought of what could be outside (ie, spooky noises). I wouldn't go outside at night to go to my car, etc. Now I've pretty much gotten over all of that with time and experience.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2009

I am not afraid of the dark.
    Usually, I am OK being alone. But, once in a while it gets me! Last summer, when my car was broken into, I was paranoid for a few days.
    And, now that I live in a house, I am sometimes scared when going into the extra bedrooms at night. I keep the doors closed all the time, and going into them at night freaks me out. When I first moved in, it took about 2 weeks for me to get settled as well. I was used to having a 3rd floor apartment for 5 years. I'd leave the window open for weeks at a time! Now, I am on ground level and someone could get in quite easily. It took me a while to adjust to that. Luckily, I live in a super-safe, quiet neighborhood.
    I also have been a bit paranoid since my cell phone was stolen last week. Just a reality check- bad things can happen to me.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 25, 2009

I am only afraid of the dark after I watch something scary on tv (like the shows about hauntings and ghosts LOL). Then, I turn on every light on the way to my bedroom. And after I watch that stuff I can NOT look into a mirror. I have it in my head that I'll see something scary!!! (well, besides my own reflection) :lol:

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2009

I guess I'll add that I am terrified of rodents. I had a mouse in my first apartment, and I went and stayed at my parents for a week and my dad and my BF at the time had to go check the traps multiple times a day until it was caught.

7. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 25, 2009

I use to be afraid of the dark when I was little. I was also petrified of storms because we lived where the were tornadoes. I never have seen one though. The dark doesn't bother me but storms still do!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 25, 2009

This is an interesting topic. I'm not normally afraid of the dark & I live in a 2-story house, but then again, it's not huge & I've always lived w/ 2 other people.

I get scared though if I've been watching something about the paranormal on TV & it's dark. That stuff gives me the creeps!

I hv no idea how I'll be when I'm finally living alone. My mom couldn't live in a house that's too huge. She'd be afraid. I'm sure I'd be the same way.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 25, 2009

I am the same way. It doesn't stop me from watching that stuff though LOL

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

No fear of the dark here unless there's a risk I might trip over or bump into something.

For those who are afraid of the dark, they make some uber-bright "tactical" flashlights these days that are as small as those mini-mag lights but pack enough light to light up and room and blind an assailant.

This one is quite popular. 135 lumens and runs on two AA batteries.

This one is 160 lumens and runs on 2 c-cell batteries but you can get (or make) adaptors to run it on two rechargeable AA batteries. I have one that I use as a bike light. It will put a spot several hundred yards away. Once I parked my bike and walked 50 feet down the road. When I looked straight into the light, I could not see anything else.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2009

I'm not normally afraid of the dark unless I've watched a scary movie, and then it takes me awhile to go to sleep. Of course I have DH to protect me. ;) But yesterday we watched the Grudge 2 so that was on my mind. We went to a neighbors house to watch the fight. I wasn't feeling well so I came home. When I went to bed, I had to take the cat with me.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2009

The dark? No.

Bad guys who might somehow choose the 2 nights a year my husband is on the Senior trip to Disney, might choose the only house on the block with 3 kids (hence, absolutely no money) and the only one with a dog (a lab, but hey, she's big!) to try to rob-- YES!

When Peter is at Disney, we have a "Pajama Party." We pick names out a hat to see who gets to sleep with mommy and who gets to sleep on the sofa bed. That way, at least we're all on the same level of the house.

And, yes, I double check that everything is locked while he's away.

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 25, 2009

I am also afraid of being along. When I lived along I had to have a studio so that I could see everything. I checked under the bed and in the shower every night. I also can't have a place that has more than one exit because I am afraid someone will come in.

I am also terrified of moths.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

You guys made me feel a little better. haha. Thanks.

I think once I move, I will get used to my new place. I have never lived in a house with more than one level, so hopefully that is something I would get used to after living there for awhile.

I still think we need a dog. And maybe a security system.

15. Artteach42

Artteach42 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009

Holy wow! yes. I have such and over active imagination that any little noise in my house scares me. And when i'm alone... its even worse. Our bedroom is in the basement (completely furnished) but when i walk up the stairs and step on the landing so i can see outside, i get paranoid that any car passing by is coming to get me. And TV shows about the paranormal. um.. i don't watch those by my self. Even if i watch them with someone, i have to snuggle up close to DH at bed time-- just incase. I feel so much better knowing that i'm not the only one.

And don't get me started on vampires. I still believe they exist, to say the least.

16. smalltowngal

Jan 25, 2009

If they look anything like Edward (from Twilight), then I wouldn't mind. ;)

17. Artteach42

Artteach42 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009

:unsure:

no. vampires are a thing of evil... No matter their looks. Its just a sly trick to lure you in. Resist temptation, my friend!

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

I never liked vampires too much either, but my boyfriend got me to watch true blood and I like it...

19. smalltowngal

Jan 25, 2009

If you read the Twilight series, then you'd know that Edward and his family are very different from other vampires. :)

20. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jan 25, 2009

I know exactly what you mean. My ex-husband is military and was gone a lot. We didn't keep a television in the bedroom, so when he was away, I would make up a bed on the couch and watch tv until I fell asleep. The thought of turning off all the lights, going upstairs and going to bed alone TERRIFIED me. Even when my ex was home, I made sure to leave a hall light on so I could see.

Now, with my boyfriend, things are a little better, but not much. We are able to sleep with all the lights off AND the bedroom door closed (a HUGE step for me). He used to work nights, however, and when he was working, I would still sleep on the couch. Still working on that part, I guess.

21. Artteach42

Artteach42 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009

It's not that i didn't like them, its that they scared me, and still do... I used to have to pull the blankets up past my neck just incase a vampire were in my house. And i was always afraid that the people in my house would turn into vampires and kill me in my sleep. I still have to have the covers over my neck. And they still give me nightmares on occasion.

22. smalltowngal

Jan 25, 2009

silver-my DH and I got into True Blood as well. We love the show!

Artteacher-I understand. I'm like that with zombie movies

23. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 25, 2009

I am living by myself for the 1st time ever. I thought I would be a nervous wreck but I am not. I do have a beach house and when I am there by myself I am scared! When the wind blows the whole house moves...or it feels that way

24. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jan 25, 2009

I never used to be scared of storms until a tornado hit my town. Now I get scared when it's storming and I even cried the last time I heard a tornado siren. My friends weren't sure what to make of it :) but hopefully this spring, I'll get more used to the storms again and not get freaked out.

25. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 25, 2009

Silverspoon- I PM'd you!

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2009

I have somewhat of a fear of the dark. Basically, I have a phobia that someone is going to get into my house, really at any time. I am paranoid about making sure doors are locked at all times. If my husband leaves, I make sure I have both locks on. At night I am afraid to even go to the bathroom by myself. I will only go if it is an emergency (like I just can't hold it). My biggest fear is just that someone will come in and do something to my daughter. I watch the national news everyday and have seen too much of what goes on. The first thing that I do each morning when I awake is go to my daughter's room and make sure that she is still in there. When she was a baby I would check to make sure that she was still breathing, but now it's to make sure that nobody kidnapped her. I think my paranoia about that started around the time that Jessica Lunsford was kidnapped by that sexual predator in the middle of the night in her room with her grandparents sleeping close by. Anyway, I am awfully paranoid and sometimes I feel like I am ruled by that paranoia. I don't step right next to my car when I get in just in case someone is underneath my car. I don't walk next to vans. If I am driving, I try to have my hair up so it won't be so recognizable that I am a woman (in case a predator is near). It sounds insane, but I know someone who was attacked from the highway, and it just adds to my obsession with trying to prevent anything from happening...

27. melnm

melnm Companion

Jan 25, 2009

I am by myself with two little ones all during the week right now. My husband is gone from Sunday afternoon through Friday night every week. I'm scared every night!

I stay up as late as I can on the computer, then go read until I can't keep my eyes open any longer. We have french doors in the back of our house, one of which has no blinds. And we have a front door with a big window in it. I cover them both with sheets every night. My kids sleep in bed with me. I keep lights on in my kitchen, front bedroom, which is the playroom, and on the porch. There is an alarm system in our house, but it isn't hooked up. I make sure the sign stays up and visible though, so it will hopefully be a deterrent. Someone breaking in is my biggest fear.

Now I'm probably not going to be able to sleep tonight!! Better go read a light-hearted thread now!

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 25, 2009

I hate that the world is so crazy & dangerous that it scares some of us so much & frankly it's no way to live, but some of us can't help it.

I've always slept w/ my (bedroom) door closed. I guess I could leave it open, but I feel much better closing it.

I think if a person lives alone & is genuinely scared, that person should get a big outdoor dog & then have another (probably smaller) indoor dog. Pick breeds that make good watchdogs & will BARK!

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2009

It is crazy that some of us (um, like me) have to live in paranoia. It really angered me one day when I was watching Jane Velez-Mitchel on HLN and she made a comment like our country doesn't do enough to criminals who commit crimes against women (she does a whole "War against women" promoting the idea that we need real justice for the crimes done to women) and that we have to live in fear. How true that is! I should not have live like this, but I do. If nothing else, for my daughter's safety, but I realize my own vulnerability too.

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2009

I sleep with my door closed too, only b/c DH hates light getting into the room and makes sure the door is closed and no little lights (like from the printer) are on. But I keep DD's door closed because it squeaks and I would hopefully wake up if it were to open.

31. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 26, 2009

I am afraid of haunted houses...not real ones (if they exist), but the ones high school students create during Halloween time. I know it is completely irrational, but they totally freak me out. I went on a date in my 20s and he took me to one. I kept telling him how afraid I was, but he said it would be fun. After walking past the first room, I sat in a corner in hysterics. They had to stop the line and lead me out a back way because I refused to go further.

Needless to say, we did not have a second date! :)

I am also afraid of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I do everything in my power not to go inside of a bank.

32. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 26, 2009

I 'm not afraid of the dark. In fact have gone into our backyard in the pitch black many times to check out a noise-it is fenced and we have neighbors close by. My husband thinks I'm nuts

We do have a large dog, which does help-except for when she looks out our french doors into the dark and just does this really low growl, not barking, just a menacing growl-that does freak me out most of the time.