who doodles?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by janetracey14, Mar 9, 2009.

1. janetracey14

janetracey14 New Member

Mar 9, 2009

Hi!
    I'm Jane, a 2nd year college student taking up Bachelor of Elementary Education Major in Special Education.

I want to know who are those people who love doodling while the teacher is discussing his/her lesson to the class?

because i have found out that if a person who is doodling while listening to the discussion of the teacher tends to remember more things than those who don't.

do you agree? if not, put your opinions here.. opinions are highly appreciated! ^^

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 9, 2009

I'm definitely a doodler. Now, does it help me remember lectures? I don't know! Just the act of writing down important points helps me. I don't know if my sea monster eating a little guy stranded on a tiny desert island helps. But it keeps my mind from wandering too far...so I suppose in a way, it does help.

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

I was, and AM, a huge doodler. My notebooks in high school and college were filled with my crazy doodles everywhere. Which makes sense that I'm now an art teacher!

5. Teach_NJ

Teach_NJ Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

I was just reading an article on this the other day. There's actually been a study done on doodlers that showed that very result. Doodling helps you retain information.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2009

I do!

7. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

I read that, too! I've thought about it some and feel that it makes perfect sense. The article basically said that there WILL be times when a kid is bored. Doodling enables children to settle that antsy feeling while doing something that doesn't keep them from following the lesson. Without doodling, some of these kids might start zoning out during lessons.

Since reading that article, I've started letting my kids have the option of drawing during read aloud time. They still seem to be following along well.

8. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

I doodle. It helps me to concentrate on what is being said.

9. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

I don't doodle, but I do simple word puzzles (fill-ins, that sort of thing). I find that it keeps the "wandering" part of my brain busy so the other half can concentrate on the lecture. It seriously helped my concentration (I think I'm a little ADD, but aren't we all??) :lol:

10. janetracey14

janetracey14 New Member

Mar 30, 2009

wow! i'm glad that there will people who will reply on my post. ^^ thanks for that! it was really cool knowing that doodling really helps us in partly concentrating in things even if we are not aware of it.

i do lots of writing and drawing different stuff. sometimes just for the sake of not sleeping, i write my name several times in different styles and designs.. haha! and i enjoyed it a lot! ^^

im really happy for the replies and sharing!:love:

11. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Mar 30, 2009

I doodle.. even have that documented on my fifth-grade report card. :lol: I do believe that it absolutely helps me focus especially when a speaker is on the boring edge or does not pertain to me.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 30, 2009

I'm not much of a doodler, but one of the grade four teachers at our school is very artistic. He tends to doodle at meetings. He got into big trouble for doodling while someone from District Office was talking at a PD session! It's amazing how we can talk so much about incorporating children's learning styles, and yet some people assume that as teachers we should have grown out of our own learning styles.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2009

I am hard-core doodler!

14. sandymandrake

sandymandrake New Member

Mar 30, 2009

I do!

I doodle often when my 5th graders are giving reports...:)

15. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 30, 2009

I'm not surprised that it helps people retain information when they doodle. It opens up a part of your 'creative' brain that while listening to a lecture I'm sure filters in somehow. It's like when they show pictures to you or play music when you have your brain scanned..it lights up different parts of your brain.

I would also note that I have a huge photographic memory..so sometimes I doodle little things next to something..and sometimes its relevant..sometimes not..but in the middle of exams Ive been able to recall what I drew..and where I drew it in my notes by the answer my brain is thinking of! Or I've had moments where I know that I wrote the information on the top left hand of the page..but can't remember that certain word I'm looking for!

16. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 30, 2009

I doodle all the time! Especially in class - usually my doodles go along with my notes sometimes not though -

DOODLERS UNITE!!

17. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Mar 31, 2009

I would love to read the article....can you post a link. I doodled like crazy during high school and college lectures. I have to restrain myself from doing so at staff meeting because I feel it comes across as disrespectful. I almost always doodle or pace when I'm on the phone. I think it's definitely an attention thing and I can see how it would be helpful for kids to keep them focused. Interesting.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator