who does your pre-k class consist of?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Dec 27, 2012.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Dec 27, 2012

Do you have a full or half day pre-kindergarten? (4and 5yr olds)
    What type of program is it? (play/ academic/ etc)-are the students evaluated at the end of the year for K admission?
    Do you have 2, 3 and 5 day children? if so, do they attend all together, or are they separated (5 days in one class, and 2/3 days in another)
    if they are together, how do you make the 2 days work?
    What is your view on having them all together? Is 2 days enough?
    Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2012

Are you seeking this info for a class? Do you currently work in preK?

4. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Dec 27, 2012

I teach pre-k. Our school is looking to make changes, and I would like the thoughts of other pre-k teachers, on what their school/class does, and if it works or not.

5. chickadee

chickadee New Member

Dec 27, 2012

I teach state-funded Pre-K for a school district. We have AM and PM classes which meet four days a week. Data is collected on an ongoing basis and submitted to the state three times a year. The district also requires periodic assessments in emergent reading, writing, and math.

For many years I taught in a private preschool and had the similar variety of classes you described: 3 year olds half-days on T/TH, 4 year olds half-days on MWF. We also had a Jr. Kindergarten class (for older 4's) which met five mornings a week. On rare occasions the Director would agree to enroll a younger child in both the MWF and T/TH class in order to make a parent happy, but it was confusing for the child to try and adjust to a different set of peers each alternating day.

I've seen classrooms in centers where some of the children attend part-time (usually 2-3 mornings) and the rest of the class is there full-day every day. As far as how to make that work, it's difficult.

6. msaly

msaly Comrade

Dec 27, 2012

We have a 5 day class for pre k. It is a state funded program, and They are evaluated twice a year. We use creative curriculum.

Our three year old class is either Mwf or tu/th. I personally don't think having a class where some kids come 5 and some kids come 3 or 2 days would work well. It would be possible but I think it would be difficult.

7. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Dec 28, 2012

I teach Head Start in our local public school. We are integrated with our districts Early Childhood Special Education Program.

We are 4 1/2 days a week for 3.5 hours each session. We have more then 22 session in our building. We have some teachers who teach young 3's, some who teach older fours, and some like me who teach mixed groups of 3, 4, and 5's.

Because we are HS 50% of our day in child directed and they have at least 45 minutes of uninterrupted play each day. That being said we have district standards, state guidelines, and HS outcomes that we have to meet. We take data frequently and use to plan instruction, to determine which students may need intervention plans, which may need enrichment, etc. When creating our district standards we met several times with kindergarten teachers to make sure that we were all on the same page. We meet with the kindergarten teachers in May and share our data with them. This data doesn't determine kindergarten admission, if they are age eligible for kindergarten they will go to kindergarten. Any IEP always follows the child to kindergarten and often the intervention plan is continued beginning the first week of school.

8. preteach

preteach Rookie

Jan 2, 2013

prek class

I teach in a half-day program. We have a pretty even balance between play/academic. I guess my philosophy is teaching and learning should be fun so teach academics through play. We have children who come 2, 3 and 5 days. The 5 day kids overlap the other two classes....so we have some that come only t/t, some only mwf and those few that come to both sessions. The way I handle it is usually to keep those children in a group together so when we do rotations I can enhance and reinforce things from both classes. We are all on the same theme at the same time and I teach both classes, so it is not a problem. I think the 2 day class is not enough for children who will be going to K next year, but for the 3 year old who is just starting out it is fine.