who does the cooking

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AMK, Mar 30, 2011.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

So I pretty much cook dinner Sunday-Thursday. My husband critiqued my entire dinner last night. I told him sine he doesn't offer to cook he was in charge tonight so it should be interesting.:unsure:

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2011

My wife cooks.

I only critique if asked to do so. Otherwise, I eat and keep my mouth shut.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2011

My husband has never, that I recall, cooked a meal for the both us (we don't eat similar foods often) but he will sometimes prepare his own meal.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

you are a wise man Sarge. He never complains but last night he did and his mom never cooked dinner when he was growing up!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2011

Smart. :) And I'd expect a wife to extend the same courtesy to her husband if he cooks.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

I tend to do most of the cooking during the school year. Fair enough; I'm usually home first.

But he's the King of the BBQ grill; he pretty much takes over during the summer.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

Wherever we're getting takeout cooks at our house, especially during drama season. If we don't get food to go, we're both on our own for meals.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2011

I did all the cooking when we first got married. I like to cook, and DH didn't know how to cook anything. (His mother doesn't cook.) I taught him a few things about cooking, and the year I was sick he learned to cook even more because I wasn't cooking much at all.

We don't really like the same kinds of foods, so we've settled into a routine of cooking together, but we eat different things.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

I cook every day. I love to cook, so I am okay with that. But, I do wish my DH knew how good he has it. I am a great cook, but have to tell myself that, as he never comments on the food.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

I do all the cooking.

My husband made frozen pizza for the kids a few times when they were little, but they rebelled against eating charred crust. He "followed the instructions", not really recognizing that when the box says, "425F for 20-25 minutes" it doesn't mean put it in the oven, set the timer, hope for the best and then come back when it beeps (or when the smoke alarm goes off, whichever goes first).

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

my husband can barely cook so this meal should be interesting.....haha

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

Have recently discovered, due to my busy tutoring schedule, that my dh can cook! I've been married for 27 years and knew he could grill but the man can cook! So the nights when I drag in at 7 or 7:30 (one night this week it was 9!), dh cooks.

14. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Mar 30, 2011

I consider myself lucky. My husband loves to cook and he is good at it. I cook Monday-Thursday because I get home first. He cooks on the weekends. He loves to try out new dishes.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 30, 2011

Can't wait to find out how it turned out LOL

I cook most of the time unless it's one of my MIL's "special" recipes. I can't be trusted to get it exactly right so my hubby has to help :rolleyes:

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

I didn't care for it. I do not like vodka sauce (he does) he put in ground meat to make a meat sauce but no seasoning on the meat. He tried and I give him credit.

17. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 30, 2011

MrsC - great and funny story.

18. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 30, 2011

I do most of the cooking, but my husband is always volunteering to help cut the chicken or chop vegetables. He loves helping out, which is fine by me because I hate cooking. I told him if he wasn't around, I'd be eating cold cereal every night!!

Well, that or Wendy's!!!!

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2011

We split about 50/50. I am home first, and I am usually starving and ready to eat the second he gets home because I eat lunch so early. But he is better at coming up with something creative - if we have chicken breast out but no plan for, I am too tired to think at the end of the day, but he can throw something together.

A lot of times we cook together - tonight he made steak, but I made the potatoes and started the asparagus, which he finished. Last night he threw together salads while I made a fundraiser pizza. The night before I started making pasta, but he ended up coming in and helping.

20. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 30, 2011

I wish you luck! It's a short time until morning and you can always have an extra big breakfast :) I cook at our house, but DH is perfectly capable, he just needs to a trip to the grocery store first, he cannot plan ahead! So being the budget queen I cook because I planned the grocery list.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 30, 2011

I'm not married yet nor live w/ my BF, but if I were/did, we'd share as much of ALL the chores as possible, including cooking. I mean if we BOTH work, why am I doing practically all of the cooking?...or all of anything else for that matter. You better believe that if I'm married, my hubby better chip in too & that's a topic we'll talk about amongst other things before or at the beginning of our marriage. I'm not lazy, I'm just saying it better be pretty equal.

22. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2011

Unfortunately ...... men just can't cook ... or sort whites, darks, lights for the washer .... or vacuum or dust .... or properly make beds......:p

23. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

this is my husband:) he is wonderful and does SO much around the house so I don't mind cleaning and cooking. But he does make the bed

24. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 30, 2011

My mom does the cooking. My dad can't really cook that well. He'll cook everything rare (how he likes it).

My mom will BBQ even in the winter if she has a realllly tasty recipe. She'll put on her winter coat and grill

25. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Mar 30, 2011

My fiance cooks about 80% of the meals, I cook about 5%, and we eat out the remaining 15%!

26. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

I also grill outside all year. Sometimes I stand in the garage and the grill is out in the rain. But, we all crave some variety.

27. Harper

Harper Companion

Mar 30, 2011

Definitely a conversation to have early! :)
    That said, things can be "equal" even if all chores are not divided 50/50. I do ALL of certain things, DH does ALL of other things. Some we split. Overall, it is 50/50, but individual chores may not be. But, you have to do whatever works for your family. Not everyone is the same, and what works for me (or someone else) may not be the right choice for you. :love:

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2011

Me during the week. On the weekends hubby or both... He is a GREAT cook & I'm a better baker... All I can say no one (when we invite fam or guests over) leaves a dinner he has made hungry or disappointed!!! :)

29. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 31, 2011

We split cooking and cleaning. I'm more the organizer for cleaning and keep things tidy, she makes the beds and cleans the floors. Am I one of the few men here who actually enjoys cooking.

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2011

That's us, too. He is the cook and I am the baker, although I think I can hold my own as a cook,too.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

That's how things work with us too.

I do the lion's share of the cooking, but I think in 20 years I've mowed the lawn once.

I put out the recycling, he puts out the garbage.

I'm painting the dining room this weekend while he's away because he HATES to paint, but wouldn't let me tackle such a big job without him. (So I haven't even been able to buy the paint yet!! It will be a nice surprise for him on Sunday.)

During the summer, he does a MASSIVE cleanup on the basement and lots of other parts of the house; I tend to do more of the day to day stuff.

He pays the bills, I do the laundry.

Over the years it's evolved so that everything gets done (most of the time) no one feels over burdened, and no one is doing something they reallly hate.

As you said, it works for us.

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2011

I do pretty well cooking... he's just takes more risks like this will be good or that will be... He puts things together that I don't think about!!!

33. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2011

Yep, same with us! Although what I like about my cooking is that it is familiar. If I make a dish, it tastes the same every time I make it. He ALWAYS experiments, so if I really like something and ask him to make it again, he never makes it the same way. I remember one night I asked him to make a goulash that he had made before. When I got to his house (this was before I lived with him) he says "Look, this time i used turkey and I put corn in it, and I seasoned it differently." It was still good but disappointing when I had been craving something.

I appreciate the creativity but I also appreciate familiar comfort.

34. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 31, 2011

My husband can cook, but cooking is a passion and stress reliever for me, so I do all the cooking, every day of the week. Unless, of course, I order take out from a local restaurant because I'm running late.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 31, 2011

True. People do it in different ways. They may alternate the weeks of doing chores or each person always does certain ones.

I'd want to hire a gardener for the lawnwork. My guy will more than likely tk out the trash.

But yes, if I don't like his cooking, I'll do more of that!

36. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 31, 2011

So how did dinner turn out AMK?

37. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 31, 2011

He tried but I didn't care for it. He browned ground beef and added vodka sauce and served it with pasta. He never seasoned the meat, didn't add onions etc. I don't like any cream sauces but he does! So we are back to me cooking but tonight ordering pizza. He is currently outside doing yard work!

38. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 31, 2011

My husband does the cooking! :) He loves it and he's really good at it. I, on the other hand, hate it and am NOT so good at it. :) I can make breakfast, and I normally do that at least one day during the weekend...that is the extent of my cooking. BUT, I will assist him in the kitchen. I'm great at chopping and measuring! I also do the dishes after, but he does dry them and put them away. We're a good team. :)

39. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Mar 31, 2011

My husband does the cooking as well! He is a good cook. I do like to bake so it evens out.

40. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2011

He does 99.9% of the cooking. He only works 8 days a month so he's home most of the time. He will wake up, go to the gym, stop at the store on the way home and have dinner ready for me when I get home at 5.