Who do you meet with at job fairs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ravinraven, Mar 28, 2013.

1. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

Mar 28, 2013

I'm attending a job fair in early April and am working on getting materials together and reviewing the interview questions in the archives. There's a decent amount of schools attending, about 7 that I have strong interest in, and I was wondering who I might be meeting with that day. Administration? Representatives from the district Human Resources? I can't imagine that principles and superintendents have time to take out for a job fair, especially from schools that are far away.

Also, there are some schools that are not advertising positions they're interviewing for the job fair, but have posted on their websites. Do I mention that I've applied, even though it's not what they're interviewing for that day? Does one just politely mill about at a school's table hoping to be noticed or are their lines?

Any advice is appreciated. I've never been to a job fair ever and the university's website hasn't been of much help.

3. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 28, 2013

Your area may be different from mine, but...

In my district, principals, assistant principals, and assistant superintendents take turns representing the district at job fairs. (We don't have a Human Resources dept.)

At the fairs I've attended, the districts don't usually interview for a specific position, but are screening candidates for any position they have or may have in the future.

Yes, mention that you have an active application with the district.

Yes, there are lines. For the best districts and those with lots of openings, there are LONG lines.

And Good Luck!!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2013

In my experience, it has been both Ps, APs, and HR people.

5. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Apr 1, 2013

I'd have to agree with the other posters. I've encountered HR, Ps and APs. If it's a smaller district, usually a P or an AP show. Larger districts have HR represent them, in my experience. When it came to writing a cover letter, I usually addressed them to the superintendent or HR rep.

I've been to several job fairs, and there are most definitely lines. Most of them weren't interviewing there, but screening for potential interview candidates for a later time. You have, at most, one minute to make a good first impression. Research the schools you're most interested in, and go for it!

6. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

Apr 3, 2013

They published (a rather poorly arranged) pdf. of the schools and licensure areas schools are looking to interview/hire. They also included how many representatives will be there for each school/district. There are 6 schools I'm really interested in:

*Dream District (8 reps)
    *Excellent suburban schools within 25 minutes of home (4 reps)
    *An online school based 2-hours away (2 reps)
    *A well-performing charter school (3 reps)
    *A career center (2 reps)
    *A suburban district where a friend works that is 45 minutes away (3 reps)

I'm trying to decide what order to visit them. Dream District has 8 representatives attending, which will help with the lines. At the same time, I feel like the charter or career center will have fewer candidates and the odds will be slightly more in my favor.