Who do you follow on Twitter and why?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Jun 21, 2014.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 21, 2014

Looking to follow timely, relevant, compelling tweeters, across:
    • political/news (local, national, world)
    • pop culture
    • current issues (cause supporting)
    • sports/weather
    • other (special interests)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

Have to be honest...I am aware twitter exists, but I thought it was just for gossip. I would be interested in seeing other replies.

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 21, 2014

Well, I suppose it has been co-opted to be a medium for vapidity (if that is a word)! But it can be used as a timely source that compiles everything you are interested in--kind of like a new school RSS aggregator/reader. I have one for educational trends, but those tend to be boring (to most folks) and not timely in terms of current events.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

More of my ignorance...is twitter done as texting on the phone, or through the computer?

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 21, 2014

I only use it to increase my teaching PLN-I don't find it boring at all, I have found lots of useful resources that way. I follow teachers, admins, authors (both of professional teaching books and children's book authors). I also follow news organizations relating to education.

Considering the fact that there have been several times news organizations have tweeted things that turned out after researching them not to be fact, I'm not sure I would trust it to follow current events.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2014

I created a Twitter account on the night of the last presidential election because I was CERTAIN that Diane Sawyer was totally delivering the election news whilst completely trashed and I figured that the people of Twitterland would be commenting on it heavily. They weren't. I still have never gotten any confirmation that good ol' Diane was three sheets to the wind (but I still think she was).

I haven't been back on Twitter since then.

On FB I tend to follow celebrities and TV shows. My favorite posters are John Barrowman, @Midnight, CBS Big Brother, The Superficial, and Jezebel.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2014

I don't have a twitter account, but I can see the tweets of others without having an account.

I follow my school district to hear about school closings and get updates.
    I follow Justin Berk, a MD/DC/South PA/Northern VA weather personality, to hear about potential snowfall and school closings.
    I follow Mike Masco, Baltimore's local ABC weather affiliate, to hear about potential snowfall and school closings.

Other than that, I don't have any use for Twitter myself.

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2014

I follow news sources mostly and dog shaming. I'd be interested in following education trends. For me, I know news sources rarely have the breaking stories 100% confirmed when they tweet so I take it all with the proverbial grain of salt.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 22, 2014

I almost prefer Twitter over Face Book. Some of my favs:

Planet Earth *****
    Historical Pics *****
    Fitness Motivation
    OnThisDay & Facts*****
    Chess.com
    BBC Breaking News *****
    ASCD
    Elle Decor
    Jamie Oliver
    Planet Earth *****
    Fox News
    Pics with a Story *****
    Women's Fitness
    Brilliant Ads *****
    National Geographic*****
    NatGeoTravel
    nerdybookclub
    Architecture *****

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2014

I have Twiiter. The only reason why I got it in the beginning was because my oldest son was a twitter fanatic. He tweeted about everything. He had just moved to college and that was my way of knowing what was going on in his life. I started following the NFL, storm chasers, and some reality shows that I watch. I only have tweeted a handful of times.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 22, 2014

I looked through my "following list" for anything not related to my personal tastes and found this:

NPR News (they have a separate account just for educational news), local news stations, several comedians who keep me sane, The Oatmeal for the same reason, Neil deGrasse Tyson for science facts, SCOTUSblog for legal updates, local Emergency Management for storm updates and the like, and a ton of local information.

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 22, 2014

Oh cool. These are the kinds of things I'm looking for. Will check some of them out. Thanks!

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

I think a long time ago I set up a Twitter account (I get emails that so and so is following me) but I haven't been back on.
    I don't really get it, as a social media, I have FB and that's lenty, I get what I want out of it. I don't get a lot of my friends who have FB, Twitter and Instagram (and who knows what else) and post everything on everything.
    My daughter prefers Twitter over FB and almost comletely abandoned FB (she's 16). I tried to get her to explain Twitter to me, just in case I'm missing something, but I still know why I would have it if I have FB.

I think the only way I would have it is as a teacher account and only follow things related to education, or other professional topics, and nothing personal. I might do that some day.

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 22, 2014

That is precisely what I use it for.

The thing that annoys me about FB, is when I "Like" something, it tells everyone else. With Twitter, I'm purposely going to try and not have "friends". Just use it as a news/personal interest aggregator. In that way, it is being quite interesting to me.

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 23, 2014

John Lee, what do you teach? I taught English and did a search for Literacy, Education, Middle School, & Gifted Education where I found some interesting people/organizations to follow. I also like to follow some favorite authors, James Patterson, Ken Follett, Jan Brett (very elementary but I love her), and some others.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

I started a Twitter account because it felt like it was the thing to do back in the day. Gather a PLN and all that. Then, I found it was really annoying to try and learn things about education in 140 characters.

So now, I follow NASCAR drivers. They are big on Twitter. They tweet their locations at races, and interact with their fans. The NASCAR media tweets at races so you can follow the race without watching it if you have to. I've been tweeted several times by drivers, which I'm quite proud of!

Other than that...maybe a few random people that say something interesting, but mostly...NASCAR.

18. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 23, 2014

Twitter is wonderful. The Education Chat on Tuesdays is the best PD I've ever experienced. #edchat If you follow silly, vapid people, you'll see silly, vapid things, but if you follow other teachers and people in the know, you'll be smarter every day. Really. We are: @Mamacita @SpanglerScience @SteveSpangler

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 24, 2014

I agree Mamacita!!! I'll be following you as soon as I leave here.

I just added AmericanMensa to my plethora of followings.

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 24, 2014

I use Twitter to follow mostly education-related people. I also have a few that I follow for local news or events.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2014

Same here. I follow several in education, the Canadian Olympic Team, the Toronto Blue Jays, a couple of news sources, and my daughter's soccer team and the athletic department at her college.

I follow, but never tweet.

22. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 24, 2014

I have a Twitter account and I use it as KinderCowgirl mentioned before. Twitter can be an excellent resource. My PLN on Twitter has been amazing. It can be used for much more than gossip or following celebrities.

23. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 25, 2014

Dean J. Fusto is a must follow for education.