Who do you eat lunch with?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by SpringGirl14, Jun 18, 2010.

1. SpringGirl14

SpringGirl14 Rookie

Jun 18, 2010

Just curious, do you eat lunch with the teachers every day in the teachers lounge? Are you introduced around the school? Do you eat with the other student teachers there? Did most of you become friends with the other student teachers? I am going to be at my school with 3 others from my college.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 18, 2010

When I student taught I ate with my team in my CT's room (she had a small kitchen setup with a table big enough for four). Luckily, they saw me as a peer and co-conspirator in the education of their students. We hashed over the first part of the day while they gave me a few tips on how to handle kids, and I returned the favor by warning them if one student or another was having a bad day.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2010

I ate in the teacher's lounge with my CT and other teachers. There were a couple of other student teachers from my college that were there as well.

5. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jun 19, 2010

I ate with my CT in her room. She said she didn't eat in the lounge, so I thought it would be awkward to eat in there without her. I recommend eating in the lounge as you'll meet so many more people in the school.

There were 2 others from my program at my school as well. One was very nice and we shared many similar experiences. The other one was rather snotty and uppity. She seemed "too good" to have any problems. The other girl and myself didn't particularly care for her. I guess be aware that not all other student teachers want to be friends!

6. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Jul 7, 2010

I was at my internship 2 days/week in the fall and full time in the spring. I ate everyday in the teacher's lounge. 4th grade was the last lunch shift so it was never crowded. There was 1 other senior intern and then 2 juniors (1 day/week). We'd usually sit at the same end of the table so we could talk, but sometimes we would sit next to our teachers. I was always being introduced to staff members whether it was my college supervisor or my teacher doing it. Plus, when I did my take-over of the class (2 weeks), well and even before that, I was walking the kids to specials and talking to those teachers, or asking questions about students with the special ed teachers. Sometimes I even had to talk to teachers in other grades to find out techniques for a specific student or if they had a sibling that was similar.

Each week we met with our supervisor to discuss concerns, things from campus, assignments, etc. In the spring, since we were there 5 days a week, the other interns and I would make our own "intern meeting" and talk about our own concerns with assignments or whatever. We kept it professional, but it was the weekly needed vent session. A few times our conversations were put on hold until after school where we'd meet for a bite to eat and a rant session.

7. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

When I first started, I ate in the teacher's lounge everyday with my cooperating teacher. It was nice to get in there and be able to talk to the other teachers. However, as the semester went on, I decided that I needed that time to relax, so instead I began sitting in my classroom while my CT went to the lounge. Some days, I ate with my kids in the cafeteria and every once in awhile I went to the lounge. Just depended on the day.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

I had a very controlling CT. I ate with everyone else in the lounge. It was a small school with only 7 classrooms- we all ate in there.

Here, we have lunch duty every day, so there would be no choice.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

We've got 5 of us in our little lunch bunch! We all meet @ the lounge and just eat, crack jokes, and laugh like there's nothing else that matters in the world!
    We keep it real,
    Rebel1

10. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jul 24, 2010

My supervising teacher and I used to eat together in her room and then have coffee breaks with the other ST's and supervisors (Whenever we had time to actually get coffee.). You will find that regardless of the way you feel about your supervisor at first, you will be fast friends.

11. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

I would eat with my CT in the Teacher's Lounge along with the other teachers who had the same lunch period. A couple of those teachers also had student teachers at the same time. I always felt welcomed.

12. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

Most of our student teachers eat in the teacher's room with the teachers - that is "other side" to their education! LOL!

13. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jul 26, 2010

No one in my school ate in the lounge except the occasional substitute. My CT and I actually ate lunch during our prep (our actual lunch period wasn't until after 1) in our room at the beginning of my student teaching. Then my CT started disappearing during the prep period (6th) and going and eating lunch with his buddies while I taught 7th period and I wouldn't see him again until the inclusion class at the end of the day. As a result I started to eat with the other teachers on my team. Otherwise I saw NO ONE the entire day. Plus I learned a lot more about the kids and things the other teachers had in place in their classroom.

In short... Make friends with other teachers :)

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 23, 2010

I ate with my CT, our team, and some other teacher friends. There was another student teacher in the building....I never saw her until the last week (didn't even know she was there until the end). I have NO clue what SHE did.

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2010

My student teachers eat with me in my classroom with my team mates. The teacher's lounge gets crowded and noisy and smelly. We like to take a break from teaching and usually end up laughing and talking about other things outside of school. He does have a tendency to sit at another table in the classroom and shake his head and grin at some of the things we say.

16. itsmejenni

itsmejenni Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

my preference was to eat along so i could unwind, but i chose to eat with the other teachers, I wanted to use that time to learn things that you dont in the class and to connect with the teachers. I wanted them to accept me as a teacher, by secluding yourself they remain curious about you, maybe even talk about you, and come to their own conclusions. Plus, they like offering advice, and I need it. and they start to view you as a member of the team.

17. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

When I was student teaching there were 7 of us from my college in a very small school. All the primary grades had lunch at the same time, so all the student teachers ended up eating lunch together. I would walk to the lounge with my cooperating teacher (who I got along with very well) but would eat at the table with the other student teachers.