Who did you eat lunch with

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SpringGirl14, Jun 18, 2010.

1. SpringGirl14

SpringGirl14 Rookie

Jun 18, 2010

as a student teacher? Did you have to eat with your cooperating teacher? Did you eat in the teacher's lounge or with the other student teachers? I will be student teaching with 3 others from my college. Do you usually become friends with the other student teachers?

3. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jun 18, 2010

I ate lunch in my room, usually with students who came in to eat with me.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2010

As a student teacher I believe I did both...some days I worked in the room and ate in the room and other days I ate in the faculty room.

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 18, 2010

I ate in the teacher's lounge with all the other teachers. But please keep in mind that was in the late 80's and there was a different atmosphere back then.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2010

In the teacher's lounge with other teachers and STs.

7. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 18, 2010

I spent most of my lunch pumping milk for my son, then after that i ate in the teachers lounge. My host teacher would eat in her room and do lunch detentions. I decided after a few weeks of going in and not getting to eat my lunch, that i needed that break.

8. erudite

erudite Rookie

Jun 18, 2010

I just finished my st in Dec. 2009. Me and my ct always ate in the teacher's lounge, I think it is nice way to meet the other teachers.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 18, 2010

When I did my 60 hours of observation in the fall, I ate lunch with the Cooperating Teacher, who ate in the Teacher's Lounge, except when she had to catch up on IEPs or lesson plans

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 18, 2010

In the teacher lounge, it's where you get to know the other staff members and you never know who might know who to help place you in a position when it's time for a job.

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2010

In the lounge (or sometimes one of our classrooms) with the team and other student teachers on the team. I would say I become "close" with all the student teachers at the same same school.

12. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 18, 2010

I ate with my co-op teacher. For the most part, she ate in her own room. Occasionally we ate in the teacher's lounge.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2010

I eat in the cafeteria with my students...that's what the student teacher does, as well.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2010

I've had 4 cooperating teachers (CTs) in my day. If they ask you to join him/her &/or their grp, by all means, do it. You can find out a lot & pick their brain a little, but don't spurt off 100 questions at once.

If you get the sense/feeling that they don't want you around or they say I'm leaving for lunch & don't invite you along, then I guess you have your anwer.

If the CT is a pleasant person who you don't mind being around, but they don't invite you along, you can always ask if you can join him/her for lunch at least once or twice a wk. That way, you can get your private time sometimes & be w/ him/her sometimes & learon good info.

Play it by ear.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 18, 2010

My cooperating teacher never showed me where the cafeteria was, or the teacher's lounge for that matter. I assume they had both since the kids ate every day. We did not have to take students to lunch. She ate in another classroom--somewhere, but I'm not sure where--and I ate by myself in her classroom. I took my lunch every day.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2010

When I student taught in Junior High/High School, I ate in the lounge with the other teachers. When I student taught 2nd grade, I went home for lunch most of the time. Lunch was an hour long and my husband worked swings so I never got to see him.

17. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 18, 2010

Hour lunches! Lucky you! We have 20 min. if we are lucky. As a ST I ate with my CT and other team teachers in the cafeteria with the students. County policy - you are on duty during lunch. Maybe it is good that we end up w/ about 20 min.:)

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 18, 2010

I mostly ate in my classroom with the kids when I student taught... mostly so I could get work done. From time to time, I would eat in the staff room with the rest of the staff. I didn't usually eat with my CT, since she was the VP as well, and generally ate in the office.

19. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 18, 2010

I did my student teachuing before the days of duty free lunch in my state. I ate with the teachers and students in the clasroom. We had a small partion wall we would slide back and move a table to the middle so that the teachers could eat lunch together, each on their own side of the partition.

20. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 18, 2010

We ate in the teacher's lounge with all of the other teachers on that team. It was a great way to get to know them in a more personal and laid back environment.

21. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2010

I ate with the other teachers. I didn't have any other fellow teachers with me. You learn a lot from being around other teachers during down time. I know now during our lunch time we do a lot of problem solving and discussing that student teachers could learn from.

22. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 18, 2010

I ate in the teacher's lounge with the other teachers for my social studies student teaching and then when student teaching in special education, we usually ate in the classroom and used the time to catch up on work.

23. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jun 19, 2010

I just finished student teaching and I mostly ate in the lounge. Some days my cooperating teacher went with me and sometimes she stayed to work in the room. I became friends with another ST, so we ate together with some of the other teachers in the department.

24. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 19, 2010

I ate in the teacher's lounge. With our student teachers at my school, they also eat in the teacher's lounge. You never know who might help out with employment knowledge! :)

25. 80sDancer

80sDancer Rookie

Jun 19, 2010

I ate with my coordinating teacher and other teachers in the teachers lounge. We got along great so it worked out fine. There weren't any other student teachers in my school at the time.

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 19, 2010

I ate in the lounge with the CT and other staff. I made friends with many teachers doing this, but I really never became friends with the other STs. They were very quiet and didn't join conversations often.

27. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 19, 2010

I just finished a volunteer program where I was sort of like a ST. We had our own little table where we ate together in the beginning. Then my whole team fought all the time so I ate in my car where there was some peace. Sometimes I ate with the kids. Rarely did I eat in the lounge. I felt really awkward cause none of the teachers really talked to us.

It was not a very community-centered school.

28. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 19, 2010

In my Middle School position, I ate lunch by myself in a side room/storage room from the classroom. The teacher had to do lunch duty while having her lunch and I really needed the peace and quiet.

In my High School position, I ate lunch with the other faculty and my cooperating teacher. It was one of my most favorite parts of the day!

While actually teaching, I started out by eating in the lunch room at the faculty table, but I realized that I needed that time to have some quiet. Too much loud noise gives me a headache and can leave me in a daze (I grew up in a quiet household). But I still find that if you're a new teacher, you'll do better if you eat where faculty eats. Otherwise you might come across as not interested in getting to know the other faculty.

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2010

I student taught at a very small school (7 classroom teachers) with 1 other student teacher. Everyone ate in the lounge.

Now, where I teach, we have lunch duty every day, so there is no choice. The teachers usually sit at a table in the middle of the cafeteria so we can all monitor our kids and still socialize.