Who decided the teacher dresscode for your school and what is it?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Em_Catz, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 2, 2012

Exactly. I bought a new pair of Brooks yesterday with special inserts because the first two weeks of school have KILLED ME!! I spent 3 afternoons at the chiropractor's office the first week because of my back, legs and feet shooting pain and I thought I had good Clark sandals on. I KNOW I couldn't wear dress shoes and be able to walk or even function the next day.

I understand safety issues, too. Sneakers sound safer to me that high heels or slippery sole flats even.

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

I wear tennis shoes almost every day. Occasionally I'll wear a pair of brown Dr. Martens or some black Mary Jane-style slip-ons. I'm just not a wearer of dressy shoes. I think I'd have to look for another job if I couldn't wear comfortable shoes. :(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

Again, I teach in a Catholic high school.

Women: dress or skirt with stockings, no bare shoulders, dress shoes. Or dress pants with a jacket, dress shoes.

Men: dress pants, dress shoes, jacket and tie.

No denim, ever, for teaching. (Coaching, retreats, of course those sort of things have different rules.)

Anyone with a medical condition can, of course, wear sneakers or whatever their treatment neccesitates.

It's spelled out, specifically, in the faculty handbook. I love the way we look as a faculty.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 2, 2012

My new school is a lot more strict about dress code than my last one. People wore jeans throughout the week at my last school. Here, they are only allowed on Fridays and only paired with a school shirt. My P is pretty anal about this. She made a big speech at the beginning of the year about how if you wear a school sweatshirt, vest, or jacket, it has to be on your body at all times (not showing a non-school shirt underneath), and if you take it off you are dressed unprofessionally. I have another new teacher in my grade level who didn't have a school shirt yet the first week (I lucked into finding one in the closet in my classroom, haha, others are waiting until our order comes in) so she wore some nice jeans and a nice top with the school colors and the principal completely freaked out on her for it.

It's kind of weird to me because my last school did jean fridays, but I always wore boots and really nice tops/sweaters with them...wearing jeans, t shirt, and gym shoes (I think t shirts with any other kind of shoes look silly, other than flip flops which aren't allowed) seems super casual to me. Some people were upset that the teachers are allowed to wear jeans on fridays but the kids are not (we have uniforms), so they choose to wear professional clothes on Fridays instead.

I have a long denim skirt that I used to wear during the week at my last school, but here with how strict things are I don't want to be called out on it if the P decides it's inappropriate because it's denim material, so I don't wear it anymore.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

I guess this where we differ. I have the same amount of training, and in some cases more training, than an investment banker. If we want to be treated as professionals, we need to consider ourselves professionals. Jeans would not be considered appropriate in most office situations. If I wouldn't wear it to a meeting in an office with another professional, I wouldn't wear it to work. I manage to dress like a professional without being intimidating. I wear nice dress pants, a blouse and a cardigan with flats almost every day.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2012

Heck, I think investment bankers should dress casually (if they want to, of course).

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

So because I wear a small amount of makeup to work each day, I'm a bad role model for my students? How dare you! Not only do I model wearing a small amount of makeup to enhance what's naturally there, I also encourage cruelty-free products that are all-natural, vegan, and created without animal testing. I have never been considered antifeminist before because I believe that well-applied makeup makes women look more put together. It's not like I made this up, and I don't find it offensive at all. Maybe that does make me antifeminist, but so be it. I'll continue to keep women in their place with my mascara and lipstick, and look **** good doing it!

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

I don't think it has anything to do with training. Dress codes are driven by professional culture. Investment banking tends to be super rigid. I think teaching really depends on the regional and school culture.

I've worked in graphic design firms that were super formal and in a research chemistry facility where people wore whatever.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2012

I have had 10 year olds who come to school daily wearing more make-up than I ever have.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2012

I think it's wonderful you choose your beauty products wisely. Not enough people do. Their vanity is more important. I believe you were the one here to introduce me to Lush. :)

I wear mascara and blush almost any time I am out and about. I have a drawer of makeup...some I use often and others just to play with. But I am disturbed by the idea of some people feeling that I SHOULD wear those things and that if I don't, I'm not as presentable. No one should make another person feel not good enough because he chooses to not wear makeup.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2012

Dress code set by school. Which is a public school.

Women: Professional dress - dress pants or skirts (minimum to the top of the knee for skirts), dressy-dresses, dress tops (no cleavage, no sleeveless - but can wear a cardigan over sleeveless), dress shoes, no distracting jewelry, no distracting makeup, neat hair.

Men: Professional dress - dress slacks, button-down dress shirts, ties, dress shoes, neat hair.

We can wear school or college polos on Fridays, but we still have to wear dress pants.

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 2, 2012

:yeahthat:

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

I think you misunderstood what I said and I apologize for not being clear. I was not saying *you* are a bad role model. I also said that I wear makeup and that I am not at all anti-makeup.

I *do* think that a school teacher dress code that suggest that a teacher needs makeup to look pulled together is a bad role model for students. I apologize that I wasn't clear that that is what I was referring to. I don't want any girls getting the message that they *must* wear makeup to be acceptable.

I also didn't say anything about wearing makeup being anti-feminist or anything of the sort. It is a fact that society has a double standard that women need makeup to look good that doesn't apply to men. Women are free to wear whatever they want. Being told to wear makeup isn't being free.

14. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Sep 3, 2012

In the schools that do not allow '5 pocket' pants..that is pants with back pockets, I'm wondering what men wear..don't all mens pants have pockets on the back?

Another thing..if my school required panty hose with a skirt, I would be filing a complaint. That is ridiculous.

And if you live anywhere in the south, capris are a must. It is hot and the air conditioning is set high to save money.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2012

5 pocket pants have the back pockets sewn on the outside, like jeans. Dress pants (with the back pockets sewn on the inside) would be OK.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

It's no secret. When you came for the interview, you would have noticed the policy. If it were that much of a problem, you wouldn't have accepted the job offer.

It works well for us. Then again, we don't live in the south; I can see how it would be a different matter there.

Again, I love that I'm in a place where a lot of teachers are in suits on any given day... I love the way we look as a faculty.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

You can have internal pockets on the butt, just not external pockets. My former principal used to say if they are pants you would wear on a hay ride, don't wear them to work. Like these:

http://www.zappos.com/christopher-blue-juju-high-rise-crop-ghost-dobby

or

http://www.bjclothes.com/bj/4_dickies_pant_hh160.asp

Panty hose must be a regional thing, but I only recently became comfortable wearing a skirt without them other than to the beach, the woods, or, well, a hayride. Unless my skirt comes almost to my ankle, I wear panty hose. My mom used to wear them under her jeans, and we live in what we affectionately call the "armpit of hell." Seriously, we're under a heat advisory this week!

I don't know where in the south you live, but in my building, no matter what I set my thermostat to, it's about 67-68 degrees in my room all the time. I always wear multiple layers of clothes, and when I wear cropped pants, my ankles freeze!

Our dress code just really doesn't bother me at all. I appreciate that I am held to a higher standard.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2012

MsCelia, my mom wore pantyhose with everything, as well. I always thought it was because she was from NY and lived by a different dress code!

As for capris... absolutely not allowed at my school. The heat index can be over 100, even with a/c, my classroom gets up to 86 once all the little bodies are inside, and the only option are full-length pants, a skirt, or a dress.

19. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 3, 2012

Let me preface this by saying that I do think there should be certain minimal modest dress standards. However, after reading this discussion and hearing about dress code standards that, to me, seem to be nit-picking, shouldn't the administration be spending more time on matters that are directly related to student learning rather than regulating panty hose?

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

It doesn't take any time; it's a total non issue. We have rules, we know the rules, and we follow the rules. As adults, we don't need someone reminding us what the rules are; we know them and we abide by the policy.

Anyone who came in more casually dressed would immediately stand out.

It may not be the culture in most of the schools you guys teach in, but it's simply part of the culture of mine.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

Maybe it's a generational thing then?

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2012

Must be... I can't bear hose unless it's below 75 degrees... even though I love the "buttered leg" look :lol:

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2012

I know my mother forced us to where them to church each Sunday. Which only added to the whole Sunday-mornings-being-anything-but-holy experience in my house. Everyone yelling at each other trying to find what was needed and cramming into the bathroom. And then when we finally found a pair of hose, of course you then had to run around screaming "Where is the clear nail polish?!" because it had a run from thigh to toe. Oh, the memories. Sunday mornings must be why I am so organized now...I couldn't handle a lifetime of that!

I guess the last time I wore hose had to be high school graduation, if then.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

I've got to stop answering this question when it comes up. Out of 7 pages of comments, that one phrase always seems to stand out.

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

Alice, I love hearing about your school! It sounds like a great place to work.

The hose don't get me because I'm used to my mom wearing them. The 5 pocket one always gets me though! I never even think to look at the pockets when buying pants :lol:

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2012

You mean pantyhose?

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

Yes, and it's so funny: I wouldn't consider wearing a skirt to work without them, with or without the policy.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2012

I certainly don't think people are slamming you for enjoying them, so I don't understand why you'd want to stop sharing. Some like them, some don't.

29. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

The only way I'd consider wearing a skirt anywhere without hose is if it is a floor length, or almost floor length skirt & then I'd wear trouser socks! :lol::whistle:

Having said that, I don't wear skirts, although I wear shorts. Skirts make my calves look fat. Guess I don't mind it when I'm wearing shorts, but then again, I'm not wearing shorts to work.

Alice, I know you teach high school, but does your school include elementary? If so, do the teachers of the younger grades also wear suits? or pant suits?

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

No, I realize I'm not being slammed. But it always seems to derail the conversation.

And, no, our school is grades 6-12.

31. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 3, 2012

I'm 26. I was raised and live in the South. If you wear a skirt with close-toed shoes, regional tradition says you better have on pantyhose or tights. The norm here is no pantyhose if you are wearing open-toe shoes or sandals.

Miss CeliaB, I totally understand your point with the "just rolled out of bed" teacher. The one at my school has wrinkled clothes just about every day, also, and her hair is combed but very greasy on most school days. No make-up either, but that's the least of her issues.

32. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Sep 3, 2012

lol Okay, I have to admit that I would never have to wear the panty hose because I never wear dresses to school. Mostly docker type pants which would be allowable even under some of these strict codes..pockets on the inside that is.

I'm not against pantyhose for anyone, as a matter of fact I used to wear them daily, just don't want to wear them any more personally.

We have jean days but are expected to dress nicely on other days..but capris and/or sandals are okay.

33. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 3, 2012

I'm also in the hot, humid South. The dress code was decided by the district. It's pretty casual. Jeans on Friday only. Look neat and don't wear clothes that you wear at the beach. Our new P irons everything. She mentioned something along the lines of she'd like to see everyone iron all their clothes. I only iron if I have to. I use Downy wrinkle relase when ever possible. I don't ever wear wrinkled clothes.

We only have 1 young teacher that looks like she just rolled out of bed. I think she pulls her clothes from the dryer after they have been there for a couple of days. She could really use some help in dressing herself. As far as I know the P has never said anything to her. She's great with the kids, and is a real sweetie. She is one that would give you the (wrinkled) shirt off her back.

I often want to say something because she's wanting a boyfriend. (and her own family) Her appearance mignt (being divorced, I don't know if I'm the best judge) be slowing her down in the romance department. ???

I also think panty hose was designed by someone that wanted to torture women. I had to wear them a 1000 years ago when I was in school. Heck, I rememer when you had to wear a girdle to hold up your hose. I wouldn't leave the house without them and did wear them under jeans. Never again for me:)

34. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 3, 2012

We have no dress code whatsoever.

Personally, I couldn't care less what other people wear.

One thing makes me cringe, though: There's a teacher I taught with last year who wore ratty, old, faded sweats every single day. No--he wasn't a P.E. teacher, either (he taught language arts).

Drove me crazy! :dizzy:

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2012

And those are the things that matter. :hugs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.