who corrects homework?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2teach, Sep 4, 2009.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2009

You, the kids or a teaching asssitant?
    Is this by your choice or a school policy?

3. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 4, 2009

I grade all of my papers. I don't have an assistant, but even if I did, I would still want to grade them to know how my students are doing and what they are still needing help with.

4. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 4, 2009

I grade everything, too. I have tried in the past to get away from it, and have the kids self check, but there was too much dishonesty. I also think, in my situation, when I don't grade it, they don't work as hard.

This year, I have started to grade as they are doing the work. I walk around and do quick visual checks while they are working. In math especially I circle the ones they've missed, and then when they hand them in the next day, I only need to check the ones I've circled to see if they were able to fix it. This has really lessened my time spent grading this year (which is ironic because I have the largest class I've ever had this year).

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 4, 2009

I grade everything.

Not everything we do is recorded in the gradebook, but it is looked at, marked, and returned to the students. I feel that if it is important enough for me to assign, it is important enough for me to grade.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2009

I do. I don't have an aide but when I did, she didn't correct work.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 4, 2009

I do. When I did have an aide she didn't correct the work. It caused a lot of tension between us. My reasoning is I need to be able to see the mistakes being made. Just looking at the grade & the missed problem doesn't do it for me.

I've tried having the kids do it, but it just seems to cause more work.

8. gab

gab Comrade

Sep 4, 2009

I feel bad assigning homework and not correcting it myself so I don't usually assign homework to be returned. I send tasks to be completed but don't require correcting...spelling lists with ideas for practice, vocabulary cards to read and practice the spelling of as well as using them in sentences, reading for a certain amount of time a night, math work sheets periodically with parents reviewing it themselves for the most part and returning only a few I want to see. That's about it.

9. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Sep 4, 2009

I correct any spelling homework, but we go over the math homework together as a class so the kids check their own homework. I do it this way in case they have any questions about their math homework.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 4, 2009

I graded papers a lot when I was an aide but I was really good about saying, "I noticed.." or "this is interesting...", etc. I liked grading papers sometimes because it helped me learn how to help the students too. Having said that, I doubt I would give the grading to an aide. I think it is important for the teacher to see the mistakes.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 4, 2009

Anything that needs a grade, I do. But I do also have my kids self-assess their work on anything that doesn't need a grade. I think that takes away the anxiety of having to get that A and they can be more honest with themselves.

12. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2009

Thanks for the replies. Now, on to my next question!!!
    When do you correct homework? I want to correct my own but don't have time during the day to do it. Our homework comes in a workbook, so inorder to give homework that night, I have to somehow correct the previous night's homework during the day....I just can't fathom devoting my prep to correcting homeowork and know that many times I will be pulled for meetings during that time and won't be able to get it done.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2009

I grade everything.

The teachers on my team have students grade. I found that I never looked them over and had no idea how they were doing.
    I also have a 2nd job that allows me to grade :) I had an assistant last year who liked to grade for me. I'd have to hide papers from her so I'd have things to do at work :lol:

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2009

Couldn't you glance at it to make sure it is done and maybe put a check on it. Then assign them the back of the page the next night. When they complete that, tear the page out and grade both sides.

15. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2009

I teach primary grades so I do not "grade" homework. Honestly, I don't even really think that homework is that big of a deal. At this age, the purpose is to keep parents informed of what is going on and to establish good study habits. Little kids are "done" come the end of the day.....I give homework because I have to give it.

Looking it over and making sure it has been completed is about all I do with it, it is just a matter of finding the time to do that during the day that is making my :dizzy:

16. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 4, 2009

wow, i feel like a slacker... generally we go over homework in class; unless it's a project, report, etc., I don't usually assign grades and simply use a check plus, check, or check minus system (the latter must be redone). i consider homework to be independent practice that leads to reteaching and concept building... so the attempt and logic shown is what's important to me, not so much the accuracy.

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 4, 2009

For the youngsters, I would avoid grading homework honestly--- they need to learn that homework isn't a formal assessment, but something that allows them to practice and mistakes are OKAY! I would, however, formally check at least 1 assignment a week and keep my observations on how they're developing their knowledge and skills so that I can bring it to the parents if necessary.

Is it possible for you to make a copy of a particular assignment in their workbook after they've completed it? I like being able to really look over something-- I think keep any notes or copies in a special folder for each student. It helps me to look over them when I do report cards.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2009

correct/check/grade are interchangeable terms to me. Just because I grade something doesn't mean I record it.

19. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Sep 5, 2009

I go over the math homework with my students because it is in a workbook, and that way I don't have to collect all of their workbooks to check. We go over it at the beginning of every math class. It only takes a few minutes and that way I can find out if anyone had any trouble with anything the night before.

20. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

I agree with this comment. I think this fulfills the purpose of homework. Students have a chance to see what their misconceptions were, and you get a quick read on what you might need to reteach. Unless your school requires you to take an actual grade on homework, I'd just record whether it was done or not.

21. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

I don't grade homework. I see it as practice, and at my school, it can't be used in determining their academic grades, anyway.

I give them the assignments on Monday. On Friday, they keep the work on their desks, and we go over it first thing. Then, I collect it and record who didn't do the work.

I spot check a few assignments and write some quick responses, just so they know the quality of work actually matters to me. However, I don't go over each piece, correct mistakes and write a grade.

As for determining if they are "getting" the material, I teach only reading and writing, so I conference with the kids individually a lot. I also give a weekly reading assessment that is used specifically to determine who needs extra support in the skill we've been working on.

22. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 5, 2009

I don't have a TA, but if I did, I would never let them grade papers. However, I would allow them to grade HW for completion only.

23. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 5, 2009

I have a homework basket that the kids turn their homework in. I check all of the homework to prevent any dishonesty.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 5, 2009

It depends on the assignment. Work with straight forward answers is often corrected in class so questions can be asked and clarified. Work that involves written pieces (anything more than a couple of words) is corrected by me. I don't have a TA.

25. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

It depends on what the assignment was and how I hope the children will benefit.Sometimes if it is short answers of math work gone over in class.I might allow the children to correct each others work and collect the papers to evaluate. If it s an essay or thinking type assignment, I will do the marking and evaluating myself.
    I have mixed feelings about too much homework and try not to give anything we will not have time to evaluate in class.

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 7, 2009

If its a simple enough assignment the students correct each others. Math they correct their own so they can see first hand their mistakes. Big and/or important assignments I correct myself.

We always correct HW together. I don't put the grades in the gradebook, but the kids don't know that. It makes them feel more accountable.