Who corrects homework?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by JBteach, Jul 27, 2008.

1. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I am in first grade and found that it seems like my aide spends a lot of time going over and checking homework on a daily basis, all 26 students. Do any of you check go over hw as a class with the students to save time. I just want to make it easier on my aide. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!:cool:

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

We don't have aides. I check all of the homework myself. It really doesn't take very long. They are correct for the most part. I just check one and look of it for the others. I don't grade hw b/c I don't know for sure that they complete it on their own. I just put a star or smiley on it. I haven't ever tried to have the kids check it. I think that would take a long time in first grade.

4. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I very rarely check homework...most of it goes in the can...I don't assign homework very often and if I do I usually will check it. If I just want them to practice I will just make sure they turned it in...

5. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 27, 2008

When I taught 3rd grade I always had the students check their own work. We checked it together and I always made them put all pencils away and have only a checking pen on their desk. There is research that shows that by having children check their own work and realize where they made mistakes their knowledge increases tremendously.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

My TA corrects it with a stamp, sticker or hand drawn smile face, star etc.....

She will pull a kid or small group if the kid seemed confused or totally did not get the assignemtn. If it is not done, we send it home again, and if it is stil not done, we have them do it in class during some free time.

My aide does keep me posted about kids homework: those who are doing it, not doing it, confused etc.. and I glace through them every now and then. It is good to be up to date incase parents aks you questions......

7. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Thanks everyone for your comments!!! It was very helpful to hear how others are taking care of hw.

8. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I have a classroom job called the "Homework Monitor" and he/she checks off on a list who turned in their homework for the day. That way I know immediately first thing in the morning who did their homework and who didn't but it is not graded. When my TA comes in in the afternoon, she stars it, stamps it or whatever and briefly looks it over, but doesn't grade it. If someone totally missed alot of answers, she will give the child another one to redo. But in general, it is all sent home. My whole purpose for the homework is practice.

9. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I check off that the homework was completed and then "round file" it. I do notice any huge errors as I quickly check through to make sure it was done. It takes me 3 mins max to check in each of my 32 students every day. I also do not check in homework that as turned in late. (My purpose is to mark on the report card "turns in homework on time", if it wasn't turned in on time I'm not going to mark it off..besides it takes more time to figure out which day it was from.) When a student was absent that is another matter, I have a "we missed you folder" that everything is turned in. Then I'll chekc off the missed homework.

10. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 28, 2008

Independent HW

In the middle of the year, I give out what I call Independent HW. They are able to do it by themselves, without parental help. They are reviews over what has already been taught. Occasionally, I have a parent who had trouble with 1 out of 20 and couldn't help their child. But for the most part, they are able to do it alone. I do have a handful of kids who are pretty much on their own, they are able to do it. They have three days to do it, so they know if they have trouble they can ask me. We check or go over it as a whole class.

My other homework is not something easily checked it is more a list of activities that can be done. If they do it, I give them a happy face and a sticker on a sticker chart, but that is it. :)