Who are Your Favorite Kind of Students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Apr 7, 2009.

?

What Are YOUR Favorite Kind of Students?

1. The ones that are so quiet, I forget they're there, but they do well in class!

4.8%
  2. The motormouths...I never get sick of them!

1.6%
  3. Those that talk & ask just enough questions where I can see their true personality.

66.1%
  4. The quirky types who seem to be a different kid each day.

30.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2009

To be honest, I like the quiet kids who just sit, listen, & do their work. The really, really talkative kids just irk me. I realize some kids are inquisitive, talkative, etc., but I guess I'm more the "silence is golden" type.

It's probably because I was a quiet child, who always sat, listened, & did my work throughout my entire academic career from pre-school through grad school! I never raised my hand to ask 1 question! :)

3. tomas

tomas New Member

Apr 7, 2009

Complete opposite with me ;) I really love to see the personality of my students. I think that having the ability to show your personality and therefore interact within the work groups, is very necessary for life after school.
    I don't really mind the other types of children though, we shouldn't make any differences because of a child's behavior anyway.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2009

My "favourites" tend to be the ones who give everyone else grief--loud, have to have the last word, need constant attention; you all know the type. I was never like this, and my own kids certainly weren't, but I am most drawn to these students. I know, I'm crazy!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2009

Funny, Mrs. C... I get a kick out of that "type' as well. I tend to get along with most kids fairly well, and those "always in trouble" kids love the fact that I like them.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 7, 2009

I love my crazy kids but they do drive me crazy. I like funny, quirky kids and kids that have a great sense of humor.

It is fair to say tha the ones I get on to the most are my favorites along with the really good kids that get into learning and are helpful. Heck, the more I type the less I know.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 7, 2009

Yes, same here on that.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2009

That's exactly it; these kids are so used to being disliked and disrespected that they respond brilliantly when someone takes a genuine like and interest.

9. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 7, 2009

I am fascinated by my quirky kids. In fact I'm fascinated by all my kids. I love the art days where kids have settled in and I can sit on one of my tables just watching the kids work. I love listening in on their crazy conversations, and looking at how they concentrate on their art.

I absolutely love being an outside observer, just watching my students in their element. That's how I learn about all of my students, quirky or not.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 7, 2009

The quirky kids are fun! You never know what they're going to do/say next!

11. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Apr 7, 2009

I am a very quiet person so sometimes the chatty ones brighten the day. But we quickly come to an understanding about when to quiet down.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2009

I must really be ready for summer vacation! I work w/ kids 3 days a wk, ea day at a different school. I work w/ a small grp btwn 2-5 kids for only 30 min & I find myself telling the ones who run their mouths if they can do their work w/o saying anything.

They're telling me about what they did or things unrelated to the class & I'm nice about it, even though I wish I could tell them to SHUT UP.

I know, I'm bad! That's why I say I must be ready for the summer! :)

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2009

I like kids who know when to get to work and when to have fun. I like listening to their stories, but we all have a job to do and we need to make sure that gets done first.

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 7, 2009

I agree with Mrs. C and Alice.

My favourites are the ones with "problems." I guess it works well that they're the ones I work with everyday!

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 7, 2009

I love the quirky students who are always saying off-the-wall comments.

I would actually like to add a "ditsy" category. I love my ditsy girls.

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2009

gifted live wires...the ones who love learning, who ask impossible questions because they've gone off on a tangent...bright-eyed sometimes sassy...funny...compassionate....competitive....awake....the ones you don't have to nudge to work...who sometimes say the absolute wrong thing...who get in trouble with other teachers because "they're know-it-alls".

I can work with the quiet ones who need lots of help, but I tend to get bored easily if things aren't jumping.

17. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Apr 7, 2009

I'm with Alice and Mrs. C. I love the "underdogs"--those that have been written off as problems. I hit it off with them and even the ones who aren't in my class tend to come to me. :)

But then, I love those shy ones also. Those who just sit and watch everything. I always love reading their journals, because you just never know how deep still waters run.

But I love them all really. The only ones that I have an issue with are those that steal. I just can't get past it.

18. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Apr 7, 2009

I love my students with all of their personalities, but I really enjoy my sassy girls and my mischievous boys. The drive everyone else crazy, but I just love them!

19. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 7, 2009

I enjoy all of my students for various reasons, but the ones I interact with most effortlessly are the ones that talk just enough to show their personalities. The more talkative ones tend to have a sense of self-entitlement that is hard for me to understand. And the completely quiet ones are usually very interesting students -- I just wish I could know what's going on in their minds!

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 7, 2009

Count me in among the ones who like the trouble makers the best :D

21. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 7, 2009

I want the kids who ask the next question......about 2 days before I get to it.

"We're just doing x- and y-intercepts dude...Hold off on the where do two lines intercept thing."

"This is Chapter 2 and we're doing simple interest.....We'll talk about compound interest in Chapter 8."

In truth, I celebrate their questions. I love kids who ask me about the topic before I even get there. I hate having to hold them back so the rest of the class can run with my lesson.

22. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 7, 2009

I really enjoy those students with a well-developed sense of humor. Not the obvious kind of third grade humor, but the nuances.

My favorite example:

I posed a question for my students: "If grown ups were the same size and strength as you, would you still do what they told you to?" They lined up at one of two exit doors to show their answer. Then I said to the line who replied with a no, "Okay guys, go ahead and head outside."

Zach simply smiled and said, "No."

Nobody else got it but me and him. I miss that kid! :lol:

23. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 8, 2009

I like the ones that talk..not while I'm trying to explain information or lecture..but those that listen, pay attention, do their work and talk. I don't want a quiet audience..makes me think they don't 'get it' or aren't paying attention completely-mind wandering and such. I like students who are witty, keeps me on my toes. The real smart-alecs can sort of grate on my nerves after awhile though. I like the students that I can joke with, yet they know their boundaries. Its a combo for me.

24. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2009

I prefer the quirky kids.

I was one, so I understand them better.

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2009

I love all of my kiddos to a certain degree, but the kids who are the neediest mean the most to me because I love making them feel safe. I also love the kids who challenge me and keep me on my toes :) But I truly believe that all of my kids are special in their own way (I know, I'm corny)

26. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 12, 2009

I love the quirky kids who always have a different perspective on things, even at 5! I love the thinking going on - I have a whole group of kids who think outside of the box this year and I have enjoyed hearing their ideas more than anything :)