Who Are You as a Learner?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Oct 4, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 4, 2011

I'm studying for my comprehensive exam for my grad degree. I've been thinking a lot lately about my own study habits and strategies I use in everyday life.

Strengths
    *CONTINUOUS GOAL SETTING
    *ORGANIZE INFORMATION IN MULTIPLE WAYS
    ~I use lots of lists, tables, self created organizers, comparisons, calculations, etc.
    ~I streamline and reorganize by rewriting notes, etc.
    *DISCUSSIONS
    ~I definitely need lots of chatter to clarify my thinking.
    ~I don't envy people who are kind enough to listen to me. :)
    *SPEED READ FOR KEY POINTS AND GLOBAL UNDERSTANDING
    ~I'm great at looking for key concepts, finding what I need, grabbing the bigger message, etc. It does sometimes lose me on the details though.
    *RESEARCH
    ~I said growing up I would have flunked school if I hadn't been a strong reader since I couldn't hear what went on in class.
    ~I am persistent and stubborn. I will find out what I want to know through multiple sources from informal to formal.
    *PERSONAL CONNECTIONS
    ~I'm great at making personal connections, assimilating new information through stories and making analogies to process and clarify what I am learning.

N-O-T My Bag of Tricks
    *CONCISE
    ~I'm definitely a wordy girl that has to go through lots of weeds to find the gem.
    *DETAIL-ORIENTED
    ~Asking me to cite sources, know dates, etc. is probably not going to come easy for me.
    *TIME MANAGEMENT
    ~Cram studying is not my thing and often it takes me longer than it should to wade through things in spite of my speed reading, etc.

Who are YOU as a learner? Does this spill over in your daily life as well? Your teaching?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 4, 2011

Oh boy, I remember that time! I chose to do the comp exam too as opposed to the project or thesis. We had a term (qtr) to research & type up the answers to 8 essays, then memorize them & on the 1st Sat, we had 4 hrs to type it all out & the 2nd Sat was the last 4 answers, so I had to memorize about 24 pages of typed info. If we didn't pass, we had to wait another yr around. Not to mention I was student teaching a 6th gr class & working a non-education related part time job on evenings & weekends at the time. The only thing we had to look at were the references in APA format that helped us get our research. I typed up everything & put them on 5x7 index cards & just memorized it all.

WIll your exam go similar to that? Good luck!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2011

I learn best by writing. So, for example, if I need to get directions, I don't necessarily have to read what I've written; simply having written them down is enough.

I tend to organize info-- the math teacher in me loves well organized information.

I'm a voracious reader. I learn a lot through my kids' interests, too. So I know a lot more than I used to about whales, bears, helicopters, tanks and WWII.

As far as technology goes, I learn best by being shown, and taking notes on the process. Then I can refer to my own notes as needed.

I handle time management well; I'm rarely doing anything at the last minute.

That said, the vast majority of what I learn these days is informal; I got my Master's in 1984. So most of what I now learn is information I choose to learn, which always makes it a whole lot easier.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2011

I need to illustrate just about everything. If you think it can't be, I'll manage. :)

It drove a couple of my math teachers nuts because they felt it was a waste of my time. Waste if their time, probably. But it was what allowed concepts to click for me.