Who are you?¿?¿

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Tara19, May 23, 2003.

1. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 23, 2003

I think it wouold be neat to see where everyone is from and where they live, maybe we culd all say our names and where were from and maybe a bit about us like what we teach.... I'm Tara and I live in Indiana (anyone else live here?) and I teach a night time pre-school because I'm also still in highschool (I'm a senior) and I love being around kids...

3. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

May 23, 2003

I'm Kasey... I am originally from New Jersey but moved to Rhode Island around 2 years ago. I teach Kindergarten. I went into teaching because that is what I have wanted to do since I was in Kindergarten. And I had three extremely inspirational teachers who helped me realize I was making the right decision.:D

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 23, 2003

I'm Emily...born in Florida, grew up in Nashville, TN, now living in the Chicago suburbs... just graduated from college in Early Childhood (in IL, it's preK-3rd), searching for a job (anyone know of any in the Chicago area ;) )... this summer, I'm an aide for the area's Special Ed. summer school...

I credit my wanting to teach to an absolutely WONDERFUL 4th grade teacher, and my amazing mom... I see what she goes through each day, and it makes me want to be as good as she is. :)

5. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 24, 2003

I am Margo. Born and raised in MD. I taught first grade there for six years. I left MD and teaching for another six years but missed being a teacher desperately. Then I moved to Florida where there is such a teacher shortage and was hired immediately. I have been teaching Kindergarten here for three years.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 24, 2003

I'm Lori from Alabama. I teach preschool special ed in our rural county. I'm the only teacher for that program. I just finished up my 5th year there (YES, I'm out of school!!!!! WOOHOO until Aug 4th when us teachers have to start back with inservice... yuck... toooooo soon). I have a brother with Downs, have always had an interest in sign language and have the job I always wanted. They call me the Links Lady on here because, if you need something, I can usually find it on here sooner or later. :) Let's see... I'm engaged & getting married May 30, 2004. By that date I should be skinny. I'm having gastric bypass this summer to help me with the weight loss. I know it is a drastic step, but it is something I need to do for myself to make be healthier. I'm just waiting on insurance approval now.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

May 24, 2003

I'm Cindy, I live in Kansas. I'm a teacher looking for a job! This summer I will teach at a pre-school, I'm very excited to finally be able to put my teaching skills to work.

8. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 24, 2003

Tara, I'm interested in hearing more about nighttime preschool...

9. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 24, 2003

Hi! I am Brenda from Kansas. I have taught for two years in a Catholic school.- Combined class of first and second grade. I am moving to public school next year. I will teach kindergarten. I'm sooo excited. I am married and have three wonderful children. My husband is a farmer, so being out for the summer is important so I can help him. I am a teacherchat addict. I love to check in and see what is going on with everyone else.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

May 24, 2003

What part of Kansas are you from Brenda?

11. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 24, 2003

Cindy- I'm from Southeast Kansas. We just survived a tornado two weeks ago. Very, very scary. Eight of my neighbors and close friends lost their homes. Where are you from? Brenda

12. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2003

I live in southwest Missouri. I'm glad you are okay, Brenda. I bet it was scary being so close to the action. We had the same round of tornadoes go through here. Luckily (for me), the tornado that was on track for my house lifted across town. We were really scared because we lost our electricity about 20 minutes before it was supposed to be over us, and we couldn't track the radar. There were nearly 300 homes destroyed in this area. :( Debris was strung everywhere. Pieces of insulation, plastic plumbing pipes, siding, shingles, papers... My brother had photos and receipts from more than 100 miles away.

Anyway... I teach full-day kindergarten. I have also taught first grade. I'll be getting my Master's degree this summer... YAY!! I grew up on a dairy farm, but live in the city now. :)

13. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 25, 2003

Amanda, How cool to know you are so close. I am glad to know you're OK. I guess that's why we call it Tornado Alley. But I've never, ever taken a storm seriously before. I will now. Some of my relatives live in Southwest Mo. Hey, Amanda, When do I quit being a "new member" and get to be "old" - I mean veteran?

14. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

May 25, 2003

Hello! I'm Marlana and I also live in southwest Missouri. I quit teaching last year to stay home with my three year-old son. I work part-time for Parents as Teachers and do everything I can at the school to stay in the loop. I taught Title I Remedial Reading.

It's so great to see a variety of people on here. It's even better to get so many great and diverse perspectives.

15. ice

ice Rookie

May 25, 2003

Annette in Alaska. Spent my youngest years in California in the farming communities and live in Alaska now. From rural to remote! Have lived all over the state from Anchorage to Barrow. I have taught preschool and kindergarten. Now homeschooling. Homeschooling is more work, new curriculum every year to prepare. Spouse was a teacher in receiving home situations (where child lives there).

16. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 25, 2003

In the pre-school that I teach at, there is a choice between morning or night pre-k. I have no choice but to pick night beacause I alos have school during the day. I get home at 4, study, eat supper and then I got to teaching at 6-8. It works out great in my schedule. Our school is the only one that offers nighttime pre-k but I only have about 10 students. Does that help?