Who are these people teaching our children?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Guest, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 18, 2003

As I have been reading through the different postings, I am dumfounded by the incredibly poor spelling and grammar used by those who are quite possibly teaching these topics.
    I cringe when I see letters from supposed TEACHERS who actually write things like (and the is a very small sampling):
    "I don't have no..."
    "rethinked"
    "throught"
    "tought"
    "curriclum"
    "june"

If this were a case of one letter having some problems I would not be alarmed. However, the fact is, quite a few of the postings had numerous mis-spellings and grammatical errors.

How can we possibly ask our children to spell or speak correctly when the ones teaching the kids are incapable of writing/spelling at even a 3rd/4th grade level?

Bewildered,
    jeb3d

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2003

Hmm... you yourself just made a typo in your message, so please don't be so quick to judge: "...and the is a very small sampling."

The mistakes that you came up with, when you find them in context, are OBVIOUSLY typos. I think you will find that the MAJORITY of teachers here use correct grammar and spelling.

In some cases, I agree, the spelling and mistakes are probably more than typos. I do agree that those teachers need to learn and practice using correct spelling and grammar. However, I don't think it's fair to overgeneralize this to all teachers here, or to assume that mistakes made in an informal setting are indications that children aren't being taught correctly. I know when I am not sure about something in school (none of us know everything there is to know), I look it up.

Are you a teacher? Please let us know your intentions. When someone is unregistered, and starts posting negative things on our forum, we tend to be skeptical. Thanks.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 18, 2003

I agree, we all make mistakes, I am sure that I have posted my fair share of them on this site! I am not the best typer, and that is where most of my mistakes come from. I have however made mistkaes in front of my class...I look at it as a mini lesson...so many of my children are so wraped up in being perfect and never being wrong..so that I think it's good when they see the teacher make mistakes!

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 18, 2003

to error is human

I also think amanda that you forget the multi nationalities that frequent your website/and forum. I have read posts from australia, candada, England, and Continental USA as well as Hawaii, Alaska and also Puerto Rico. I cant be certain if that covers all your visitors of the globe or if i have left any guests out.
    As for making errors. Depending on what time of the day it is i get stumbly on the keyboard or get really tired and its not a PERFECT world.
    I am the biggest one in the room and my mistakes will be the biggest. My students are to know of human error. We can ALL improve and learn from our mistakes. We are not all knowing and the role of the teacher may be different depending on our own philosophies of education.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 18, 2003

HELLO!!!??? Why didn't someone tell me there was going to be poptest on our grammar and spelling!?!??! :eek:

On the internet people tend to unwind and just type. Many people abbr. words to save time. If I were getting a grade on my posts and emails, then I would take time to make sure everything was perfect.

BUT YA KNOW!!! I ain't bein graded. If ya can't deal with the internet grammar, typos, and whatever else is buggin the crap out of you, then go find a message board for borin' people who just have to have everything perfect. Happy huntin'! :p :p :p :p

When it is time for us to be correct, we will, but while on our own time, we will do as we please as long as we are decent about it on here. :)

Lori

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2003

I have to agree with all the other posts... but I thought this was a place where everyone understood that it's no big deal to make mistakes. It typing is such a big deal then we shouldn't use the abbr. we do as well.

I agree that making mistakes in class is "teaching in the moment." I know the students love to catch me in a mistake (let me tell you I made plenty as a sub and was told about it). I agree that students should see that it's ok to make mistakes, but I think it is just as important for the teacher to admit to them. I admit that I have made mistakes, but you know we all have "Brain Freeze" once in awhile.

Plus, it's summer if the students' brains are"off" for the summer, then why can't ours. I see it as a learning tool for those of us in the elem. our students don't always write correctly, so we are practicing for the new school year.

8. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jun 19, 2003

9 times out of 10, when someone unregistered (and therefore anonymous)posts a rude post on this website, they never come back to read our rebuttals. Kind of the coward's way out, huh?

BTW, if I misspelled 'rebuttals', please don't revoke my teaching certification, although I am obviously not fit to teach young children. LOL!:p

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 19, 2003

personal digs

I have to admit, I took an unregistered attack VERRRRRYYY personal and stayed away for a long while, for me, who is extremely addicted to my unconditional internet family! I dont frequent to read or even to post on MANY forums and i try to provide my knowledge, experiences and humor to topics i am familiar. I read ALL posts, and DONT respond ALL the time. I do searches for people on the internet and rummage thru my resources to accomodate people. I have NEVER found myself with anything insulting to say about anyone other than a chuckle under my breath, but to POST it whew, you must be an angry ugly person and its YOU i am most worried teaches our children.
    Ruth WHO ISNT PERFECT

10. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 19, 2003

Bravo to Amanda for pointing out to this person his/her own mistake while bashing everyone else. What is that saying... People in glass houses.....

Like Ruth, I took great offense to this post. I read it but couldn't respond right away. I needed some time to get my thoughts together. It really irritates me that people think teachers must be perfect. I get tired of comments such as "You are a teacher. Don't you know.....?" or when I reach for a calculator to figure out some difficult (or maybe not so difficult) math problem "You are a teacher. Can't you figure that out in your head?" My typical response to that is "I teach Kindergarten. We only learn to add to 10." Why are we put on such high pedastals? (sp?) We are human beings who have a job. It is not who we are but what we do for a living. As other posters have mentioned, we use our mistakes as a tool for learning.

I would like to see the Unregistered who made these accusations return to this site to try to further defend his point (I tend to think comments like these must be made by males;) ) but as Angela said he is probably too much of a coward to do so.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 19, 2003

Margo, I tell them... I teach preschool... I only have to know how to count to 10 and say my ABC's... LOL

Funny

Lori

12. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Jun 19, 2003

Not to get way off topic, but regarding spelling errors...I read a great article once, and have since discussed this with others, about the relationship between learning to read whole words a la **** and Jane as I did as opposed to reading with phonics. Those of us who "learned to read with **** and Jane" are much more prone to making spelling errors, however we are also usually able to quickly pick up errors we see written/typed since we recognize the whole word. Obviously this does not explain all spelling errors, etc. but I thought it was an interesting observation...

13. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Jun 19, 2003

Ha! it censored my post! That's funny!!! :D

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2003

Who are these people teaching our children? These people are people who work much more than 8-3, Sept.-June. These people stay late, take work home, take professional development classes, read and keep up on current educational research, take graduate classes, worry about the children they teach, raise their own families, work extra jobs in the summer to make ends meet. These people take joy in a child's first attempts at emergent literacy and know ways to encourage growth, celebrate wiggly teeth and new shoes, cry with a child who has a sad story from home, end up with every cold brought into their room. These people run out in a snowstorm to measure depth with centimeters and inches or look at the flakes under a microscope quickly before they melt!! These people care enough to reach out to colleagues they may never meet to offer advice, a place to vent, answers to questions, an internet shoulder to lean on. These people are human enough to make mistakes, laugh at themselves and do better the next time. These people sacrifice time to help a child, listen to a parent's concerns, comfort a colleague. Any other questions?

15. Amanda

Jun 19, 2003

If that were the only response here, it would be enough... Very well said, czacza! :cool:

16. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 19, 2003

BRAVO

:D

17. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 20, 2003

Amen to that!!!!!

18. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jun 20, 2003

... venting accomplished... nothing else... still waiting for Unregistered to come back... not worth my time to write any more when that person won't be back...

19. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 20, 2003

And you know, he probably did come back, saw what an *** he made of himself and refused to comment any further.

20. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 20, 2003

Hey guys, you all make me sooooo proud to be a fellow teacher. Don't let a negative, nitpicking jerk get you down. I'm the first to admit to making mistakes, it's part of life. But here I feel that what we have to say is more important than how 'correctly' it's said, I'd much rather read something valid and meaningful, mistakes and all, than something invalid and spiteful, even if grammatically correct!:p

21. Fran

Fran Rookie

Jun 22, 2003

Who are these teachers?

Let me get my two cents worth in on this person's comment about these teachers. I agree with most every teacher about the typos, etc. In this day of technology, we tend to use this type service to unwind, and often fail to proof read out messages. Also, we are only human. I couldn't help notice that the person who was so quick to judge us teachers had also made a mistake....What a shame!!
    Most of the teachers that I know and work with ( I have been teaching 11 years) are very sincere in their efforts. We are HARD working people who get very little credit for what we do, not to mention the least paid of the professional world. So, maybe the reader needs to help get us teacher more funding for money, and we will all gladly go back to school to better with our grammer and spelling. We might be able to afford it then....
    Just remember this the next time you are so quick to criticize a teacher: IF YOU CAN READ THIS....THANK A TEACHER....obviously, a teacher had an impact on you.....Tired of hearing you complain about teachers....

22. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Jun 23, 2003

To continue with czacza's thoughts, when they get to my level....

We are the people who coach sports, who are the class advisor, and extracurricular (sp?);) activity chaperones. We are the people who listen to their students' boyfriend/girlfriend problems, and a wonderful source of free advice. We are the people who take time after school to help them learn the lesson they should have learned while they were fooling around in class.

More importantly we are the people who keep coming back year after year.:p

Happy summer all,
    Ed

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 23, 2003

This person sounds like one of my parents!

24. Fran

Fran Rookie

Jun 23, 2003

those teachers...

If teachers were making what we are truly worth, then, we would make more than the President of the U.S.....We have more jobs than to just go in the classroom and prepare a lesson and teach a lesson....How many of us are able to clock in and clock out and leave our jobs behind us after 8 hours a day...I think none of us. However, most of us wouldn't change it b/c we are not in the profession for money or recognition. We are there b/c we love the children....We make a differenc in their lives....
    I would like to share a something on a personal note that will help remind all of us why we are in the field of education.
    Nine years ago I observed a young girl at our school walking down the hallway one day. She was very shy and didn't talk much to anyone. A few days later her mother's car broke down in front of my house. My husband and son went out to help them get the car out of the road. At this time, I invited them in b/c it was so hot outside while my husband tried to get their car running. I found out that the father of this little girl and her twin brother had just died a few weeks earlier. They were both in the 3rd grade at this time. When school started that fall, I went to my principal and asked him to please allow this little girl to be in my 4th gr. class....I had developed a bond with her. Kimberly and I today are still in constant touch by e-mail. She will be a high school senior this fall. This past school term she had to write an essay on a person who had been an influnece in her life. Well, she told me it was easy to know who to write on...I couldn't believe my ears when she told me it was me that she had written about....When I read her essay, I cried for days b/c I knew in my heart not only had I made a difference in her life, but she had made one in mine. At the end of her essay, she said that she could hardly wait to graduate b/c she wanted me to see her success. She will graduate in the top 5% of her senior class....Missing valedictorian by only a few points....When we e-mail, she often tells me how much of an impact I have made on her life....SO, the next time, dear teachers, we think we are not making a difference in the life of a child, think of the "Kimberly's".....That's the real reason we teach..even with our human errors.....

25. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 23, 2003

I find it funny that apparently teachers aren't allowed to make ANY mistakes and are being held to some rediculous level of perfection, however we get paid nothing and people think our jobs are easy. "9 to 3 and summers free". Obviously that guy has never taught children.

26. teach with love

teach with love Rookie

Jun 24, 2003

OH MY GOODNESS! When I read this post, I wished I hadn't! Who could be so cruel! After reading everyone's response, there isn't much else that could be said! You all are wonderful people. (By the way, I am not really that new here, I just have always been unregistered until now!)

27. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 24, 2003

UNREGISTERED has converted!

Well how do you do- 'teach with love'
    nice to meet you now that you're not so anonymous.

I am glad to see you have crossed over to the other side!:D

28. Amanda

Jun 24, 2003

Yeah, who wants to share a username with the "Unregistered" person who posted this message? BLECK!

Welcome, teach with love! I'm sure you'll love the benefits of being registered. :D

29. lanbear

lanbear New Member

Jun 24, 2003

wow that was a harsh begining to a thread!! Some people have a very diffcult time with spelling!! There has been research on that diffculty as well as other things such as shyness, diffculties in math, showing affection and others... I have a horrible time with my spelling!! And i am fully aware of this and I try very hard to correct it! Shoot even my teachers when I was in middle school came to the conclusion that some peoples brains are just not organized to be competent (yes i looked that up!) in certain areas!! I highly commend all of you for putting him/her straight!!

30. deko9

deko9 Rookie

Jun 24, 2003

we know the subject

Well, seems like everyone is putting their two-cents in. In what other profession do you know of where it's "OFF-Clock" hours and the professionals seek to continue talking about their work, helping others, and perfecting their craft. Teachers are by no means perfect but I would like to see what other professions dedicate this much of their personal time to their 'Job.' teaching is much more than a job, It's a way of life, Our life. And as in life, mistakes will happen (I used the nice word.)
    Enjoy your summer everyone!!!!

31. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Jun 25, 2003

This post made me very angry!! I didn't respond right away because I wanted my thoughts to be clear (and spelled correctly ;) However, after reading all of the responses, I have to say that there is nothing I can add. Czacza said it perfectly. I have to commend all of you for your adult responses to this obvious immature poster. Thanks for being so great everyone!

32. charli

charli Guest

Jun 27, 2003

You are great!

:D I am so proud to be a part of this group! All of you have said it, so I am not adding to it, except...Bravo!