Who Are the Vegetarians Here?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2014

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'd like to transition to it 50% of the time & if I like it, I'll eat even less meat.

How did you go from eating meat to not eating meat?
    Was it an easy or hard transition?
    What are your favorite meatless, main dish ingredients?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2014

I'm a pesce- vegetarian ( there are many categories of vegetarians!) basically, I eat mostly veg and legumes, fish plus dairy and eggs...it's not about the animal to me...I'm just not a big meat fan. It wasn't a difficult transition for me as I didn't eat a lot of meat to begin with. I don't eat out at fast food restaurants (which tend to be heavy on high fat, high meat kinds of entrees), but when we do eat out I'm always able to find something amoung the salads/fish entrees.

4. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

I am not a Vegetarian per se but I can live on veggies, fruits, pasta and any kind of seafood..and 90% of the time I do :D

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 19, 2014

I've been a vegetarian for a while now. Meat was never hard for me to give up-just watching documentaries on how they process it, the antibiotics/hormones that are in it was enough for me. Eating out is sometimes very difficult because often the only veggie choice is a salad and I could just make one of those at home for much cheaper! ;) It actually surprises me when a conference offers sandwiches for lunch and there's no veggie option, but then again I do live in Texas and all!

I make a mean black bean salad, I like sauteeing bell peppers and onions to make wraps. Some sites you may want to check out if you are looking for recipes:

http://thekindlife.com/recipes/

http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 19, 2014

I'm a 95% pescetarian, 5% meat eater. Every once in a while, I crave bacon and sausage with my grits and eggs or a juicy cheeseburger. Granted, I don't feel that great digestively for a day or so. But that's not what you asked about.

My favorite vegetarian meals are:
    1. Acorn squash Mac n Cheese with May Wah drum sticks and a side of steamed broccoli or other green veggie. (May Wah is a vegetarian grocery store in NYC you can order online to get meat substitutes. Lots of good stuff there)

2. Beet Burgers. You'd be surprised at how awesome a substitute this is for a real hamburger. There are some pretty complicated recipes that I've seen but I use a simple one. Shredded beets (3-4), steel cut oats, crumbled tofu, feta cheese, some veggie broth, and egg, and some flour.

3. Grilled veggies (squash, peppers, mushrooms, onions) tossed in a pesto orzo salad.

AS far as deciding to transition to a less diet less meat, it seemed like a healthier lifestyle choice. But I didn't put a lot of energy into it until I met my beautiful wife. She's 100% Pescetarian and because I moved in with her, it was easiest to adopt a meatless diet in the household. I don't bring any other meat except fish and seafood into the house out of respect for her choice based on the ethical issue of harm to animals.

I don't think it was a hard transition because the meals we eat are amazingly robust and delicious. And when we go out to eat, if I want a burger, steak, or etc. My BW may give me the "ick-tongue out" look but she doesn't complain. 99% of the time though, we choose seafood or vegetarian dishes so we can share.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2014

Don't think of it as limiting or restricting your diet--find new foods to eat. Many cuisines from around the world are full of vegetarian dishes. Try cooking Ethiopian, Indian, or Thai food (or find some good restaurants).

There is an explosion of vegetarian and vegan convenience foods these days, as well as dozens of great cookbooks. 5 years ago, I had to cook almost everything from scratch. Now I can go to almost any supermarket and get a tasty vegan pizza if I'm feeling lazy.

Gardein products are pretty good and widely available.

Isa Does It is a great new, all purpose vegan cookbook that focuses on mostly quick recipes using easy to find ingredients. (I tested for the book, so I've made most of the recipes. It is full of keepers.)

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 20, 2014

I'm not a vegetarian but do like a lot of vegetarian dishes over some meat dishes. I won't eat a vegetarian dish if it is high in carbs (pasta, rice) and I don't like to eat many soy products. I need to have protein at each meal so I could substitute some beans for the meat but a few vegetarians I've known rely heavy on the carbs which is not a healthy diet.
    If you have Netflix go watch some of the documentaries on Vegetarian and Vegan eating like Forks over Knives and the sequal. They give you ideas on how to eat a healthy no meat diet without the processed "fake" foods. Just because a food is meat free doesn't mean it's healthy.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 20, 2014

I prefer vegetarian dishes. I've never liked meat much. I'll eat seafood, and that's about it. From time to time I'll eat other meat, though.

My grandfather was a vegetarian. He never ate meat. He was like I am about it and just didn't care for it.

I eat lots of vegetables and nuts and legumes. I have to be careful not to let myself go heavy on carbs and processed foods.

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 20, 2014

I will eat fish, but no other meat.

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2014

I'm a "flexo" now. I eat everything, never restrict my diet because when I travel I want to try all foods. I eat about 70% vegan and 90% vegetarian just because I like it better.

I was vegan for about two years and I thought the hardest thing would be to stop eating cheese. But for me it was YOGURT! I couldn't really justify not eating plain, low-fat yogurt. I mean it's good for you and it's delicious.

Not eating meat has never been hard for me because I simply don't like it. I always think it's funny when people ask for recipes- just take any meat recipe and take the meat out. Done. Veggie dinner.

I'll say probably my favorite vegan item is spicy black bean burgers. We get them from Sam's club, I think. They're thick and delicious. I fry up a piece of bread, spread some veganaise and cilantro chutney on it, tomatoes with salt, burger, sprouts and whatever other veggies I find. Delicious! I've eaten that two days straight for lunch, will probably eat it again today.

12. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 20, 2014

I tried, but it's near impossible for me because of my food allergies and intolerances. I cannot eat dairy, soy, gluten, or eggs without a major tummy ache, and those are some of the most popular ingredients in veg substitutes. I wish I could go veg, but it's hard enough for me to eat already :lol:.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2014

Do you have recipe for the Mac & cheese...with all the fruits & veggies that are coming into season this sounds interesting....

Not a vegetarian either. But love fruits & veggies & love to sub in other things. I had to give up dairy for about 2 months and it was awful for me. Growing up in farm country not easy to do....

14. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 20, 2014

Let's see. Roast the acorn squash. Cook the pasta (your choice of type, we use something frilly like rotini). Make a rue with flour, oil, and original almond milk, it doesn't need to brown. Blend the acorn squash into the rue and add your favorite cheese in an amount you find desirable. We split the sauce into two amounts and freeze the second half for a later rendition. Mix it all together. It has a very rich flavor. We season the acorn squash and the rue with Adobo to taste. Sorry, I didn't give measures, I'm a sight/taste chef.

15. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

How did you go from eating meat to not eating meat?

It's ethical for me. I've done vegetarian off and on since college, but when one of my students gave a speech on slaughterhouse conditions in class, I really took a hard look at myself and decided I didn't want to be a big part of it anymore. Now I eat about 95% vegetarian (I have my own chickens for eggs). I eat some meat every once in awhile when I feel like I need it.

Was it an easy or hard transition?

This time, it's been easy. I think I just have enough experience to make it work now without too much struggle.

What are your favorite meatless, main dish ingredients?

Tortellini and other pastas, lentils, black beans, mushrooms.

16. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 20, 2014

I was 14 and I wanted to try something that would make me a little different from other people at school. This was a good option because I care about animal welfare and am also health-conscious.

My mom was very supportive, which was necessary since she was doing most of the cooking. It was never hard for me. Over the past several years (I'm 25 now) it has been especially easy because my local grocery stores have been stocking a decent selection of meat replacement products (e.g. Morningstar Farms, Boca, Quorn).

Stir fry with tofu, baked beans, lentil stew with butternut squash, homemade bean burgers

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2014

Thanks...might be fun to try when they come into season...thanks...

18. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 21, 2014

We transitioned to a more meat free diet last year. We watched a documentary (I can't remember which one) that spoke of vegetarianism on a health level and it interested us. So, we were looking to do it anyway when I saw a Tedtalk about weekday vegetarianism and I thought that might be the route for us.

We eat out rarely, and I meal plan in advance, so it was a fairly easy transition. I plan vegetarian dishes through the week and meat dishes on the weekend. Then, if we do decide to eat out (usually on a weekend) or are invited to eat at a friend's place ( also usually a weekend) there are no real restrictions for us. Also, if there is something I'm craving, like a really good turkey burger, I know I can plan it into my week's meals, so it has made the switch easier.

I will say that I lost 5 lbs just reducing my meat intake to twice a week.

19. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 21, 2014

You are quite welcome. I was informed that I left out the secret ingredient. We use about a cup of Better than Bullion veggie broth along with the 3 cups or so of almond milk in the rue.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2014

Squash is sooooo good on pasta. I do butternut squash on whole wheat pasta, a bit of brown butter and sage. Yum...grate some pecorino Romano on top!:thumb:

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 21, 2014

I am mostly vegetarian. I don't really like meat, so it's not an ethical or health choice. Occasionally I'll eat chicken or a burger (if it's being served) but as a general rule I don't. It has been a hard transition for me because my parents raise cattle and process all the beef themselves. It was actually pretty heartbreaking for them when I gave up red meat.

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2014

ok thanks....

23. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 21, 2014

Yep. Love the Butternut. We make a butternut squash ravioli which to think about makes my mouth water.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you everyone! I admit, I like meat! I rarely eat beef & even less pork, but turkey, chicken, fish, & various other seafood I do enjoy!

I agree, just omit the meat from any recipe.