Who all can see your test scores?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TXforever, Sep 20, 2015.

1. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Sep 20, 2015

Don't want to get detail heavy, but every teacher can and has seen everyone else's. Luckily, mine were good, but of course not good enough. :| I guess it was supposed to serve as a public shaming for some. :rolleyes:

Just wondering if this is as odd as I think it is.

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2015

Our scores have always been sent out to us as a department. We consider them as a department so it makes sense. There isn't an element of shaming. If some classes have low scores, we all need to figure out why. It could be that scheduling put many ELL students in one class, for example. Next year, that could be somebody else's situation.

Also, if a teacher just has low scores in general, the idea is to support that teacher with strategies and resources, not make them feel bad.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 20, 2015

Everyone in the district can see personal scores. Everyone in the state can see compiled department scores.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 20, 2015

Officially, just the teacher and admin. Everyone in the state can see the scores for your school's grade level, but not individual teachers.

The reality. Admin shares other teacher's scores with certain other teachers, leadership will have access to everyone's scores and will share with others. So really, everyone who wants to know another teachers score will know another teachers score.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 20, 2015

Curious as to this comment. Did you get admonished by someone? How was this framed?

I am curious because my scores were considered really "good", however, any self reflecting teacher would be able to conclude that they are not "good enough" and that there is room to improve their teaching practice.

What I am saying is, my scores were good, but I am in no way satisfied and have a lot of improving to do. I in no way felt that I am a victim of public shaming?

I am wondering if it is a different point of view on the issue or if admin admonished you for your "good scores".

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 20, 2015

For our state tests? Hell if I know. I never actually saw my own scores, just a general summary of what they looked like. For district-level tests, any teacher at my school can see any other teacher's results.

8. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Sep 20, 2015

No, I wasn't admonished by anyone. I agree there's always room for improvement. It's just frustrating when all that's pointed out is the negative in the situation. I felt bad for those who were the lowest and received what looked like to me a public shaming by some comments and actions of admin.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 20, 2015

So how did they discuss it as a "negative"? No mention of any positives at all?

Out of curiosity, what were the actions of admin towards the lower scoring teachers? What were the comments?

I am not saying it is not happening, just wondering what they actually said and did to public shame other teachers. I know at my school any talk about test scores, low test scores, ways to improve, things to focus on, would all lead to anger on the part of many teachers.

Imagine what type of teacher your admin was, she/he in all likelyhood treated low performing students in a similar way.

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 20, 2015

My first job was teaching third grade. Our state tests 3rd and 5th grade. Our school was a small independent school just out of town limits. We had a reputation of being better than the town school. The local paper printed our class scores side by side of a town teacher's scores. I was so scared. I was told if my scores weren't better than the town teacher's scores, I would be fired.

11. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Sep 20, 2015

12. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Sep 20, 2015

Wow! Stuff like this reminds me how my situation could always be worse. :eek:

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 20, 2015

Yeah, I understand. If they are just talking in general about weak areas as a whole on the test, this is not public shaming. I was thinking they were callning out teachers in front of others and belittling them. Sounds like they were just saying we are struggling in reading and need to address it.

@mrachelle
    Just imagine being a fly on that admins wall when they were a teacher. "listen Timmy, you better score an A on the next test or I am failing you!!!!"

"You guys better score higher than MRachelle's class, don't you dare embarrass me!!!"

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 20, 2015

I only stayed at this school for a year. I left teaching for a while after teaching here. They were awful. I miscarried while teaching and my principal told me that she didn't care what was wrong with me, I better be at school the next day. My cousin was killed on a Thursday night. I called my principal and my support teacher and told them I would not be there Friday. I then called my principal on Saturday to tell her the funeral was Monday. She told me to be at school on Tuesday or don't bother coming back. I was there on Tuesday, but I was a mess. She came into my room and yelled at me in front of the kids because "You are crying too much!" She then asked me why I was back at school. I told her because you told me to be here or else I was fired. I was so glad to leave this school. My next boss was her former sister-in-law. She hired me because she said anyone that worked for the B**** and survived was probably a great teacher.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 20, 2015

My first school was tiny and most grade levels only had one teacher. Grade level scores were published in the newspaper, side by side with other schools. Although teacher names weren't included, if you knew who the 4th grade teacher at xyz elementary was, you knew that teacher's scores.

My dad works in a wealthy, high performing school. He teaches sped and his students are 100% expected to pass the regular state test. Very few kids in the school don't pass. At the beginning of the year, they have an all staff meeting where they put up every teacher's score for the whole district and make comparisons. Then they look at each individual kid who failed and they call that kid's teacher(s) out in the meeting in front of everyone and asked them why/how they failed that kid and what they're going to do to make sure it doesn't happen again. They cite their very high scores as reason that this practice works.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 20, 2015

I distribute overall grade-level scores and discuss them during PLC meetings. I'm able to print the data without teachers' names so they can see how they did as a team (great discussion happens when they can see if there are areas that everyone excelled in or totally bombed).

I do, however, provide each teacher with individual scores a few days before their PLC meeting, but we (my principal and I) don't use them for evaluation purposes nor do we share them with others!

I would like to share something important, though: when we (administrators) get evaluated each year, test scores are pointed out. For example, our superintendent will say things such as, "I noticed your (insert grade-level) team had a drop in their quarterly benchmarks. Why is that???" :rolleyes:

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 20, 2015

Displaying teachers' scores to the entire faculty is a common practice around here.

18. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 20, 2015

I do not understand your point can you elaborate?

19. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Sep 20, 2015

Yeah, you guys are under fire just like we are. I just think, at least in my school, it's used more as a competitive factor. I guess it bugs me because stuff like that just stresses me out more and doesn't motivate me. At. All. And I think it has the potential to lead to drama like, "Well, so and so gets the "good" kids. So and so has kids with tutors," etc.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 21, 2015

I thought I was pretty clear.

Test scores are used in our admin evals. Therefore, administrators come down on teachers. It's a domino effect--which can often result in drill and kill teaching. It's unfortunate.

21. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 21, 2015

Why?

Only if you believe drill and kill teaching is more effective at raising test scores. Which I do not believe it is, especially with the new test.

Why does it matter if it is in your eval, why would that change how you motivate your teachers? If you believe that berating teachers for low test scores is ineffective, why would it become your choice of motivation? If you know drill and kill is not as effective, why would it being in your eval change our mind?

If you believe that authentic teaching is the best method, you should not be disuaded by an underperforming year(or an unrecognized over performing year), you should continue to do what you know to be effective and know that the results will bear it out in the coming years.

Now, if ones methods, which one thinks are the best and effective, never bear the results...well.. is it possible that they are not that effective?

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 21, 2015

I'm not attempting to change your mind, Pashtun. You obviously didn't read the first two paragraphs of my post (or you didn't understand them) which clearly state that I don't share teachers' individual data. I do, however, share grade-level results to look for glows and grows.

I did give you the facts about the admin eval in my district. Like I said, the fact that test scores are used in our eval is quite unfortunate because it often results in principals coming down hard on teachers. Then, teachers feel the need to teach to the test. I've been on the receiving end of this as a teacher, so that's not the type of administrator I am or ever plan to be.

I stand behind every word I type on this forum. My comments over the past 8 years speak for themselves.

23. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 21, 2015

Yes, if one is a poor administrator and teacher this is how it works. That is why I have stated, people that do this as admin did it as teachers...because that is the only way they believe one can get results or get things done. It is not the scores or the eval, it is how they believe you do a job well or get others to do it well.

IMO, they come down hard on teachers becasue they do not know how to manage or believe coming down hard is the best method. Teachers go from authentic teaching to teach to the test, because they do not believe that authentic teaching gets the results.