Who Actually Likes Yard Duty?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 13, 2008

I don't know anyone who actually likes to do yard (or bus) duty. I certainly don't. Most of us feel that there's something better we can do w/ our time, but if it's just about supervising kids on the playground, I guess it can be considered a rather peaceful time to think about things while standing & watching kids from a distance. That's the kind of duty I had to do every single day all yr long. I wouldn't want to do bus duty, which is a lot more hectic.

Sometimes special ed teachers don't have to do yard duty, but I still did when I taught special ed.

How do you guys truly feel about doing duty?

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 13, 2008

I have lunch duty once a cycle (we're on a 6 day cycle), outside recess duty once a cycle, and inside recess duty once a cycle (which means I can stay in my classroom and just do what I need to if there's student(s) who needs to stay in and do work. I'll also have detention duty every Wednesday when that starts up.

I really like outside recess duty--- the kids are usually very sweet to me and alot of them will come up to me and chat about things. I'm also new so I want to make sure I'm seen around the school. We can chat with the other teachers as well and since we're a small school, that's really nice.

I wouldn't mind another prep period, but I think it's healthy for me to take a break from doing teacher things and just spend some time watching the kids be kids. :)

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 13, 2008

lunch duty once a cycle (we're on a 6 day cycle),

WOW!! That must be nice! We have lunch duty every day no break. We eat with our class!

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 13, 2008

Well we don't get paid for any extra duties like lunch duty, recess, detention. They figure that we're suppose to be in school at that time and working, so might as well give them duties.

It's not hard though--- we're allowed to snack on whatever we want (we have a buffet style dining hall), get something to drink, talk to students, and just keep an eye that nobody is doing anything wrong.

Afterwards, we head outside for the 10-15 minutes they're allowed to play at the end of their lunches. So we get some fresh air out of it as well.

I'm lucky that the lunch I help out in is with alot of my own students, so that's really nice to recognize faces.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 13, 2008

I like recess duty when I have it. It's nice to get outside and socialize with the students. I do enjoy my time when I don't have duty too!

We have not had lunch duty for years. The school schedules aides for lunch duties. Which is really nice.

Bus duty is okay after the first 2 weeks. By then we have our kids doing what their supposed to do.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 13, 2008

I don't like pick up duty much, but with my first graders now, I go every day. Last year in K they had to be picked up in their classrooms (we don't have busses- private school.) So they are new at being picked up outside. I am outside watching them and making sure they stay in their right spot.

Likewise, I am outside every day at recess too. I like socializing with the other teachers outside and seeing my old students. I have now had JUST ABOUT EVERY child in the 5th/6th class but 2, so I really enjoy talking to them and watching them as they are the oldest kids at the school! When I had older kids (3rd/4th) I used recess as a prep and never went outside. I think it's better that I am out, as I can actually see what they do out there and help solve problems if they come up!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

I have lunch duty daily, I have to take my kids to recess daily and I have car duty daily for the entire first semester.

Lunch duty is OK- I sit at a separate table.
    Recess duty is OK when the weather is OK ;) Other than that, I hate it!
    Car duty is AWFUL!!!!!! It takes 30-40 minutes after school every day:banghead:

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 13, 2008

Lunch duty on Mondays and rest of the week duty free
    Recess duty everyday except for Wednesday that is my recess duty free day - I don't mind recess duty that much - we get out side and enjoy the weather adn the kids are pretty good at playing without getting into trouble.
    Bus duty this quarter. We rotate between the 4 of us in 5th grade - I will have car duty the last quarter. There are so many kids that get picked up that it does take a LONG time - the teachers don't get back until about 30 minutes after all the busses have left so I'm not looking forward to that! :rolleyes:

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2008

I hate it so much that I chose to teach a middle school math class over having 2 lunch duties a week. I also chose to do the study hall daily over having morning duty 2 days a week. And it's only 15 minutes per day! I can't tell you how much I hate the humidity. And it's almost always humid here.

11. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

I would much rather have recess duty or car duty than lunch duty, especially if the weather is nice. There's just something about lunch duty in my eyes that seems to drag on forever.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

I look at duty as part of my job. I like the days that I don't have duty, but I know it can be worse. We eat lunch with our students every day so that does not matter. I have duty once a week for the whole day.
    Morning duty -monitor 1st and 2nd grade students in the hall
    afternoon duty- playground duty with a duty partner
    Car riders duty- monitor students who are car riders with a duty partner. Our school ends at 3:00 and if our parents are not there to pick them up by 3:15, we bring them to the front office to wait on their rides.

Our duty team is Monday-Team 1, Tuesday-Team 2, Wednesday-Team 3, Thursday-Team 4. On Friday we rotate duty according to teams. So once a month, we have duty twice a week. I worked at a school where we had duty every day and it was horrible. Though our duty rotated. I have a friend who has duty every morning. I would not like that because I have my me time in the mornings.

13. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Sep 13, 2008

Each of us has lunch duty once a week, lunch recess duty twice a week, and two afternoon recess duties a week. It's not too bad.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2008

I don't like car duty because I prefer to boss little kids around rather than tell grownups what to do. The only exception is when I'm a crossing guard and can use a hand-held stop sign to unleash my cyclist angst on unsuspecting motorists by making them wait until every single student at our school has crossed the street.

15. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

The only duties I have are within my class. I take them to lunch, gym, to the buses, pretty much everywhere they go every day. They're with me constantly from 7:30 till 3:45. The only additional duty I have to do is gate duty once or twice a year at a sporting event. I also have to go to prom and graduation, but I like doing that.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2008

We all have 60 minutes duty each week. It could be before school, at recess, during lunch or after school. We can give some feedback into when we prefer our duty and our vice-principal tries to accommodate our requests.

17. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 13, 2008

When I first started teaching, we had mandatory duty several times a day - before school, after school, lunch, bus, gym, etc. We also had mandatory game duties. I very nearly quit teaching because of it. I didn't go to college for ten years to stand around watching kids play, fight, and eat.

One of many, many, many reasons why I don't teach at the elementary level. I admire all of you who do these things as a matter of course.

18. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

I like it when I am not trying to keep a student from climbing a tree in order to gather branches and leaves to make a treehouse, or keep them from rolling in goosepoop because I said "Look out for that goosepoop" :whistle::D

19. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2008

I like recess duty when it's nice outside but once winter hits, i really dislike it!

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

I do not mind having duty. This 9 weeks I have lunch duty and will get a check for about $450 at the beginning of the 2nd 9 weeks for this duty. I will not have any duty in the 2nd 9 weeks. I will have morning duty the 3rd 9 weeks and will get a $450 check for this the beginning of the 4th 9 weeks. Does anyone else get paid extra for doing duty?

21. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

no pay here, what parish are you in?

22. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Sep 13, 2008

When do you use the restroom if you are on duty? That is my biggest worry about teaching. I worry more about that than classroom management! I'm still in school, but I sub. I get so scared when I see I have recess duty because I know my bladder will barely make it! I've been contemplating middle or high school, maybe I'll think more seriously about it. :haha:

23. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

I teach in St. John the Baptist parish but I teach in a private school.

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

No extra pay here :down:

If I were paid, I'd volunteer for all duties and be happy about it :p

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

I rarely go through the day, but if needed, I will go during lunch or recess duty. I'll just tell another teacher that I will be right back. If I go, I usually go when my assistant is in my room (30 minutes in the AM and 30 minutes in the PM).
    If I have to go in the middle of the day, I just ask the neighboring teacher to listen to them for me. With 5th graders, it is not that big of a deal.

26. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

I teach high school and we do have duty. I teach on a rotating schedule and since I teach 6 classes, every 7th day I do not get an off period. I will teach all 6 classes plus have lunch duty. On that day I will run to the bathroom between classes.

27. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

my partner and I would watch each other's class often. But now we have aides in our classes, so this helps a lot.

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

I really, really hate it.The kids are good enough outside, but I would rather be inside working. I hate standing around outside.

29. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

i have lunch duty every day for about 1/3 of lunch. I like it. I get to see the younger kids and play with them. We have a great time!

30. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

I teach 1st and am lucky enough to have a full time assistant. Last year, I took my class to lunch 3 days a week and my TA took the class 2 days a week. I had to take my class to recess every day. This really bothered me because I have SO much more work to do than my TA does. She was sitting in the classroom, enjoying about 40 minutes of quiet time while we were outside. She also enjoyed that quiet time on the 3 days I took the class to lunch. Between specials, lunch, and recess time (and stops for the class to use the bathroom before and after) my TA had a little more than TWO HOURS every day with no students in the room. I had 45 minutes on the days I took the class to lunch (3 days a week) and about 90 minutes on the other 2 days. However, THINGS HAVE CHANGED this year!! My TA takes my class to lunch AND recess every day. This means that I now have a total of 2 hours every day to get planning and prep done! I can't tell you what a difference this has made to me! In addition, we also have a 45 minute guidance class once a week that gives me an additional planning period.

31. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 14, 2008

Its illegal in my state to have to eat lunch on duty with your class. Our administration tried to make the teachers eat with thier classes last year and someone made a stink about it. So we have duty free lunch. :) BUT we also have afternoon dismissal duties daily.

32. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

I hate it. I have crosswalk duty which means I stand outside (rain, sleet, snow, heat, just like the USPS!) and make sure everyone uses the crosswalk. Adults are the worst. I ask them to please set an example for the children and they look at me like I just asked them to go wash my car with their toothbrush.:|

One lady looked at me and said, "I am grown. I can walk where I bleep bleep please."

Okay.... Hope her child doesn't get hit by a car.
    :dizzy:

33. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Sep 14, 2008

Previous school...30 min. of breakfast duty every morning. This was my assigned duty. Duty free lunches for all certified staff.
    20-30 minutes of after school parking lot duty for everyone. The school had only 1 bus for spec. ed. class which meant lots of cars. We had open enrollment...only about 200 neighborhood kids and about 400 kids attending by choice.

Now... small, rural school. I have lunch recess duty once a week for 20 min. The principal does cafeteria duty. I have grade level recess once per week and a second duty once a month. Most kids take the bus. This year I volunteered to help with an after school duty for the one bus that comes 20 min. late...district is sending just one bus from the int/jr. hi and our elem. to one area. This has become a daily duty.

34. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2008

In our district, paras or TAs do not have to do duty. They are told that they are not paid enough to do it. There are some in our school who have volunteered to do it, but they don't have to. If they didn't teachers would have more duty days.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 14, 2008

Can't you go to the restroom on your way to your duty location OR go as soon as duty's over during your walk back to your classroom?

I would HATE having to actually eat lunch w/ the kids too! I don't think we have that at the districts in my area.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2008

37. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Sep 15, 2008

When I was at elementary school we ALL did recess duty. Everyone was in charge of their class. I enjoyed it....it was a time to get out and get fresh air and enjoy it when it was not too hot or not too cold instead of being inside a stuffy classroom all the time. Bus duty wasn't so bad either....Just standing and hollering "no running!" I have lunch duty everyday now.....plus every 4 weeks I have lunch detention duty. I'm not looking forward to the lunch detention duty!

38. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 15, 2008

We have two 20 minute recesses, and luckily our PE teacher is in charge of the kids during that time. So I get a quick break in the morning and a quick break before lunch. It's wonderful-I don't even let the kids tattle about what happened at recess-I'm totally out of it. I've had to do recess before, and I hate it. So much drama among the kids. Although sometimes I'll take papers out and sit at a picnic table to grade. I'm not in charge, so it's somehow better. I do have to eat lunch lunch with them, but that's not bad.

The worst is when you have recess duty, and the other teachers clump together to talk and leave you out....