Whitespace vs. Line Break Help For First Grade Student Teacher- HELP

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeacherJ4life, Apr 6, 2008.

1. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 6, 2008

Hey everyone,
    My cooperating teacher wants me to teach both lessons this week. Whitespace will come first and then we will learn about line breaks. However, what is the easiest way to get this across to 6 & 7 year olds? I have the poems I am going to use, but my friend whose been teaching forever says that most children think line breaks and white space are the same thing= long pause. However, white space does make the reader pause, but line breaks change the appearance of a poem.
    Any help is appreciated

3. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

No help here, but I don't teach that to my 1st graders in my poem unit. I've always considered that a complex writing idea especially since this is usually their 1st introduction to writing poems.

4. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 10, 2008

Thanks and I agree:D

5. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

May 7, 2008

Wow I would have never even thought to teach that to 1st graders...I would ask your master teacher how she would do it. (Sometimes the master teacher doesn't really know either, this spoken by someone who as the master teacher have admitted I wasn't quite sure how to scaffold it...I've found that sometimes my student teachers have great ideas I would have never even thought of.)