Whiteboards - anybody know

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GTB4GT, Aug 13, 2012.

1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

anything about them. I switched classrooms this year. My new whiteboard is quite peculiar - it gets messy easily and when I erase it there are large stains(?)/blotches(?)/ smudges left behind. This didn't happen on my old one.

It looks like perhaps somebody used some cleaner or solvent on it that wasn't supposed to be used (I'm guessing here).

Has anybody seen this before? If so, is there a way to "restore" a whiteboard. I realize this is a rather mundane question but it's irritating to me and makes my classroom appear messy. Thanks for any help on this. BTW, I try to teach with my mobile pad, powerpoint, etc. but sometimes the whiteboard is necessary.

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 13, 2012

This is probably a stupid question, but have you cleaned it yourself lately? My whiteboard gets like that after I haven't cleaned it in a while. It also gets like that if I'm using an old eraser.

4. live

live Companion

Aug 13, 2012

This happened while I was student teaching. Eventually we realized it only happened with certain markers. It was really random: all of the markers were the same brand, and the level of smearing was even different among the same colored markers. I wonder if it was due to the ages of the markers? Still kind of a mystery, but maybe trying different/new markers could help you too. I know how annoying it is to have to stop and clean the board every time you want to transition to a new tool!

5. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

yes I have. and with new erasers as well. I'm puzzled.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 13, 2012

The marker suggestion is a good one, too. I didn't think of that. The only ones I don't seem to have a problem with are the Expo markers.

7. live

live Companion

Aug 13, 2012

Oddly, we only had Expo and still had problems! It made no sense. I wonder if some markers were older than others, or whatever made them "dry erase" was mysteriously losing its dry erase power. The black ones usually worked fine.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 13, 2012

Ha...that's strange! The worst ones are School Specialty dry erase markers. My school ordered them for a few years in trying to save money, but they probably ended up spending more because they each lasted about one day!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 13, 2012

I've had the same whiteboards since 1998. I only use Ink Tank liquid markers on it, and I erase with baby wipes. I also use Crayola Window Crayons on it. I also write on it with Sharpie when I need things to stay. It removed easily with Goo Gone or WD-40.

The worst looking boards in the building are the ones that have been cleaned regularly with Expo cleaner. My boards still look like brand new.

10. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 13, 2012

I am hoping someone has a solution for this too. I have the same problem at my new job. I tried using a tissue or a cloth and it still smeared when I erased. Only if I erased with my Mr Clean Magic Erasor would it not smudge.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

Clean it with water or the special dry erase board cleaner and a soft cloth. If that doesn't fix the problem, then you've got a situation where the finish is gone. This happens a lot when people use the wrong cleaner--especially Windex, which is an abrasive cleaner (most people don't know that) and will eventually destroy your white boards. If that has happened, find out if your school will restore or replace the boards. If they won't or can't, you can try the old-school method of smearing your boards with turtle wax. Follow the directions on the packaging and wipe off excess wax. That's not an ideal solution because it's not permanent, but it will get you by for a while.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2012

Is it shower board instead of a real dry erase board??

Baby wipes, magic erasers, and hand sanitizer all help remove stuff.

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

I used dryer sheets to help mine out this year. I had a brand new whiteboard installed in my classroom over the summer last year and took such good care of it....then a new custodian came in and clean it with something (not sure what) and it never erased well after that, but the dryer sheets definitely helped!

14. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 13, 2012

I don't know for sure. However, I found out the hard way that clorox wipes should not be used on whiteboards. :(

15. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 13, 2012

Good point! Some schools do this to cut costs.

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012

My whiteboard used to smudge. I fixed the issue by only cleaning my board with water. Eventually the residue from whatever cleaners that the custodians were using went away. Also, I tell my custodians not to clean my board. The majority of the time whatever cleaner they are using is causing the problem.

17. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 13, 2012

I was on Pinterest and I saw something that said rubbing WD-40 on your board would help.

18. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 14, 2012

Caesar described this but I thought I'd reiterate that it's not a good idea to use things like magic erasers or other harsh cleaners on your board. It wears away the finish and worsens the problem over time. Eventually the board turns into what OP described and just won't work as well. At that point, you'd need someone to apply a new layer of finish or replace the board.

19. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Aug 14, 2012

Caesar is correct. I recently for the first time discovered that the custodians in the evening were cleaning the white boards with whatever generic blue cleaning solution they have in the spray bottle; now I finally understand why the white boards have a colored haze or just really don't erase.

20. flexmb

flexmb Rookie

Nov 1, 2012

Here is an article found online about how to properly clean a whiteboard- hopefully helpful to everybody.

Using a clean, dry cloth and a non-abrasive liquid cleanser (Window or generic glass cleaner), gently clean the entire board to loosen any residue from the board. Then use a dry cloth to wipe clean the entire surface to remove all dirt and residue from the previous step. Next, using clean water, rinse the entire board and then with a dry towel wipe the entire board dry. The rinsing and drying steps are extremely important and if ignored may cause underperformance of the product. Porcelain whiteboards are much like glass and can be maintained in a similar fashion. whiteboards can be cleaned as often as required and will not be damaged as long as the proper cleaning methods are used. Here are a few tips to keep your board in optimal condition. We recommend only cleaners that have been tested to work on our dry erase products such as our #683 board cleaner, Expo whiteboard cleaner, or Windex (or generic glass cleaner). TEMP or isopropyl alcohol may be used to remove stubborn build-up caused by repeated use (recommended to use moderately).Please note that cleaners that are not recommended may leave a residual film that may cause the whiteboard not to function properly and result in customer dissatisfaction and may also void the warranty of the product. All dry erase markers will write legibly on our board but may not erase properly due to their composition. We recommend the use of Expo or Bic brand markers, or a similar solvent-based marker.

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 1, 2012

this is so true!!!!!!!

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

Glass cleaner (including Windex) is an abrasive! Don't use it on your white boards!!

23. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Nov 1, 2012

I use Methylated Spirits and clean paper towel, then rinse and wipe over with a dry cloth. Baby wipes leave a residue, so do specialty whiteboard cleaners. I will also leave a note to cleaners to leave the board alone. I am very fussy about my board!:D

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2012

Now this is worrying me because I am having the same issue with my whiteboards.

25. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Nov 2, 2012

What Caesar said I heard many years ago when Whiteboards first came out, but one day when I was wiping off my Whiteboard, the janitor wanted to be helpful and started spraying the board with something. I just wanted to be nice and also kind of thought she knew more than I, but as days went by I noticed it was getting harder and harder to erase.