Whiteboard uses?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by SwOcean Gal, Aug 25, 2009.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 25, 2009

What exactly do you use individual student whiteboards for in kindergarten? Also, if you use individual whiteboards is it best to have lined whiteboards or are plain non-lined boards fine? Thanks!

3. LuvKinder

LuvKinder Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

I have tons of plain non-lined whiteboards, I use them for everything. I will do a center with them and have students roll a jumbo die and then count the dots and write the number on their board. I will have them practice writing their letters also with a similar game. The key is to do it in small groups with an adult, because with the whole class it is hard to see who is actually writing their numbers instead of drawing a picture. Good luck!!

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 25, 2009

I would like to use whiteboards more. So I am very interested to see how others use them. I use them to practice writing letters, numbers and popcorn words. I have used the non-lined boards, but I do have some with lines this year.

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 25, 2009

Thanks for sharing! I got some for my own classroom I hope to have next year (hopefully K!!!!) when I graduated, but I also got a set for my friend a third year K teacher (I'm going to help her set up her classroom tomorrow) and I just wanted to make sure it was useful in K. I mean I know there are tons of ways to use them, but I am sooo brain dead right now I cannot even think of any.
    In a previous post under general ed-I think- Pisces Fish, posted about using the plastic plates from walmart (4 for $2) as individual whiteboards, so I bought lime green ones for my friend- lime green is our favorite color. I wanted to have some ideas to share with her when I give them to her tomorrow. I am also interested in hearing more ideas too! Thanks for sharing.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 25, 2009

I teach high school and use them for review activities. They draw pictures too, or do graffiti style writing. So they apparently don't grow out of "playing" with the white board :lol:.

7. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 25, 2009

I also used them last year for journals. My reluctant writers wrote up a storm when they could do it on the white board. I think it was a combination of the novelty of it and that the marker flows better than a pencil on paper.

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 25, 2009

We have lined and nonlined ones. We draw shapes and pictures on the nonlined ones. Sometimes they get free time to draw on them too. On the lined ones, names, numbers, spelling out sight words, etc. Sometimes we do games saying things like, "whoever can spell blue correctly gets a sticker!" or something like that.

9. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

I use non-lined ones (I wish I had ones that were lined on one side and non-lined on the other) to practice writing letters, numbers, shapes, words etc. They love it! I do it as whole group and small group!

10. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

I have boards with lines but the boards are blue and it is difficult to see their writing. The non-lined ones are white and great. I do use them as a whole class when a new letter is introduced. The children sit in a circle and I am in the middle. The aid is also there for monitoring and helping those children who find forming letters difficult. There is one eraser between two so they have to learn to share.

I use community supplies and on the 'Book list' is a packet of whiteboard pens. Be careful as to the brand you get. Some children will dot, dot, dot very hard until the tip of the pen goes up the pen tube (or is that just my children?!). We also have a lesson on clicking the top on the pens.

If children are not doing the right thing, I give them a warning that if they do it again I will take their whiteboard from them. I carry this out.

If whiteboard are out as a centre, there is a rule 'no colouring -in' - it wastes the pen ink.

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 26, 2009

Thanks for the replies! It is great to read all of the responses. Thanks for sharing!

12. jeweledpoet

jeweledpoet Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

I use non lined boards all the time! Usually before I have them write a new sight word or letter on paper, we practice together as a class on the wb's. My favorite activity (and kids too) is when using heidisongs.com. She has a different song for every letter and practically all sight words for K. I teach how to write it correctly (strokes) and we do it step by step together. Then, I play the song as they "fill" their board with the letter or sight word. I typically play the song several times b/c they are only 30 sec to 1 min long and the kiddos always groan when they the song ends.

13. jeweledpoet

jeweledpoet Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

Another thing we do a lot for review is the game "showdown." I say a sight word, cvc word, or what's the beg. sound of this word? They quickly "write it and hide it" by flipping the board to face their tummy's. I wait until all kids have an answer and i say "SHOWDOWN" and they are turn them over below their chins. There is no winner...i just compliment each student and discuss the answers. They beg to play it all the time.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 27, 2009

Our end of the year assessment expects the kids to write the alphabet upper and lower and numbers. We practice writing them on the boards. In the beginning of the year they will practice their names
    Throughout the year we do writing activities: I sound out a word and they write what they hear.
    They will write word families and such

15. teach4christ

teach4christ Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

as a management tip, I bought a set of white athletic socks... each child uses one as an eraser for their dry erase boards and inside the sock I store their markers... easier to pass out and collect both at one time! I also explain to my little ones that the socks I'm using were never on anyone's feet (they do get to looking "dirty" from markers) so they won't worry about that!

16. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 27, 2009

Oh, that is a great idea! I love that! When subbing- I have noticed it is always a chore for the kids to grab all the necessities- the wb, the marker, the eraser and seems to take soooo long. So much wasted time. I love that idea. What a great time saver- the marker always takes the longest time to pick because its a color. So that is a great way to do it

The game ideas- showdown and the music one are great. That sounds like a lot of fun. How great! so creative!

17. bostoneight

bostoneight New Member

Sep 21, 2009

if you do a google search for lapboards you can find them pretty easily I just stay away from the "sponsored links" the site I got mine from had many styles and sizes and were very helpful.