Whiteboard question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Dec 9, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2010

My pens are staining my board. Each day at the end when I go to wipe off the day's lessons, I have to get the spray out now to clean it off. Is it my board? My pens? I have been using Expos, but they are old (about a year and a half) and losing their edge, so I tried using some other brands. They are dark but hard to wipe off with just a regular eraser. Any suggestions? Thanks.

3. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Dec 9, 2010

For the marks that are left on your board, "color" over them with a dry erase marker and then erase them with the eraser again. The marks should disappear.

As far as I know, Expo markers are the best. If you've gotten a dry erase marker to last you 1.5 years, that's great!

4. Daisie

Daisie Rookie

Dec 10, 2010

I agree with AnonyMS- Expo markers are the ultimate in whiteboard supplies (and they really do last a long time- I've had one almost 2 years for my home office board!).

One of the places where I did my student teaching had all white boards in the school (the school didn't like the risk of chalkdust allergies anymore, so they switched to wipe-off varieties). No matter what brand of marker any of the teachers used at school, there were always stains on the board. The only thing that worked really well was this cleaner spray called Swish!- it works like a charm and it doesn't have that overpowering "cleaner" smell. Not sure if it's available in the U.S- but if it is, I definitely recommend it!

-Have a fantastic day!- :)

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2010

I've noticed that the boards in our building that are regularly cleaned with the Expo board cleaner are the ones that are the most stained . . . no matter what brand of markers they're using.

My board looks like brand new, and it's never been cleaned with anything other than plain water and baby wipes. I've had the same boards since 1998.

Wait until the dry-erase allergies start popping up! The chalk dust allergies were more like "hay fever" kinds of allergies. The dry-erase allergies are of the "hives & breathing trouble" variety. I developed those allergies, so I have trouble using my markers. That's also why I always have to erase with baby wipes and water.

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2010

Don't baby wipes have some oil in them?

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2010

I have two whiteboards - one with the glossy finish, one painted. Neither one actually erased - it just sort of smeared the marker around. Someone on here had posted about the Expo cleaner actually helping the finish on the board, so I tried it. Glossy board now erases beautifully; painted board still a mess. I use a spray bottle & water to clean the painted board during class and Greenworks spray after school.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 11, 2010

I prefer Expo, hands down. I noticed the low odor ones stain more than the regular ones, so I try to but the regular ones.

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 11, 2010

I have found that those Magic erasers do a really good job of removing the stains.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2010

I was having this problem a while ago too (maybe it was my marker). Thanks for posting about it!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 11, 2010

My one worry about the "magic erasers" on a whiteboard would be that the erasers are abrasive, so that could impair the finish over time and lead to more difficulty with the markers erasing. It might be smart to wax the whiteboard occasionally.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2010

I have no idea. I've always used the unscented Parents Choice ones from Wal-Mart. I buy them in the huge case. I have a box on my desk for erasing the board, and there is a box that the kids use for cleaning their hands, desks, and whatever else they need.

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2010

I don't know what these are.

Teacher Groupie, how do you wax a white board? Have you tried to do it?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 11, 2010

To be honest, I haven't - though, golly, the oil in the baby wipes might do the same job (that is, putting a layer between the whiteboard and the marker).

15. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2010

One of my colleagues puts a coat of Old English furniture oil on her (very clean) whiteboard at the beginning of the year, lets it sit overnight, and then buffs it off. She swears by it.

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2010

That's interesting. I'll pick up some wipes and report back. Thanks all...

17. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 11, 2010

I have the same problem. My white board looks a mess and I thought it was because i used colorax wipes on the boards. but I plan to take a wash cloth and water bottle to work on monday. I hope this helps