Whiteboard paint or chalkboard paint

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mehryn, Jun 7, 2016.

1. mehryn

mehryn New Member

Jun 7, 2016

I will be teaching fourth grade and I was wondering if people thought whiteboard or chalkboard paint would work better? Also will most schools be ok if you use their tables?

Arjun Singh likes this.
  3. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 7, 2016

To clarify, you want to paint the table tops? I would not assume that your school is ok with that kind of thing on their property at all. But, if you do have surfaces you get permission to paint (or provide yourself), I would go with whiteboard paint. Chalk is messy.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2016

I, too, am confused. What exactly are you painting and how will it be used?

Arjun Singh likes this.
  5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2016

All of our classrooms are fully furnished with a teacher's desk, student desks, chairs, a filing cabinet, built in shelves, a computer table and (if requested) a guided reading table. We aren't allowed to paint anything that belongs to the school.

6. mehryn

mehryn New Member

Jun 8, 2016

I have actually bought my own tables now since I figured the school wouldn't be ok with it. And I want to paint the tops of the tables with either whiteboard or chalkboard paint.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 8, 2016

We had a teacher who decided to cover things in chalkboard paint and it did not go over well with our principal. He was furious that she did it without first asking for permission!

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 9, 2016

Whiteboard would avoid chalk dust allergies

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2016

There is an alternative to using whiteboard paint. You can buy a roll of whiteboard material (like contact paper) and it is easily removable when you are finished. I applied the paper to my scuffed up whiteboard this year and it just peels right off when you are finished.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 9, 2016

If you are using the tables as student work stations, I would definitely ask first - even if you are purchasing them yourself. I would not be able to use large numbers of personal tables in that way in my room because they usually do not meet the product grade that the school purchases.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2016

Another thing to consider--everything in our classrooms must meet health and safety regulations. Furniture provided by the school already meets those requirements here; personal furniture that doesn't wouldn't be allowed.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 9, 2016

But some people cannot stand white board markers either. We had a sub who was supposedly allergic to white board markers. We had to go remove the markers if we had her.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 10, 2016

I imagine that would be a remarkably rare allergy, especially when comparing it to chalk dust allergies.

I can understand an allergy to the chemicals in white board markers - I mean, they're made of chemicals, but I wonder what specific component they are allergic to? Hm. Interesting.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2016

Even low-odor dry-erase markers give off some smell, and the marker residue makes an almighty mess of a chalk tray - or one's fingers. I could see either the pigments or the medium being a problem.

Chalkdust has issues, certainly, but is much, much easier to wash out of clothing.

15. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 10, 2016

I just use expo markers on the tables and it comes right off. I do clean them daily with Clorox wipes but it is simple. Just a thought.

otterpop and phillyteacher like this.
  16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2016

DO NOT paint school tables without permission. Could you simply order some individual whiteboards?

17. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jun 12, 2016

I second many things that were said here. In my school, we wouldn't even be able to bring the furniture in without permission. What I did was purchased a quality set of individual whiteboards that stayed near the student's work areas.

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2016

I do this for some spaces, including my own desk. Michaels sells it, so you can use one of their ubiquitous 50% off coupons. I paid $4 and had enough for my desk, a piece of wall, and 2 lab tables. It doesn't leave residue anywhere and is safe in the wall too.

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2016

i painted tables that were for the school. I got the principal's permission and used some of the older tables. I used whiteboard paint from Home Depot. It cost like $20 a box. You will also need to prime the tables first using Kilz. Here is where I got the idea. http://sproutclassrooms.com/classroom-diy-whiteboard-tables/

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 13, 2016

I would go with whiteboard, but I *loathe* chalkboards. I just think that would be messy and annoying. I've never had a chalkboard in a classroom in my life, even as a child in the 90s. I found this blog post that goes step by step through how to create a whiteboard table: http://middleschoolmathman.blogspot.com/2015/09/creating-my-dry-erase-table-for-math.html I know that IDEA paint is supposed to be much better, but it's also extremely expensive. My school is using that on one of our classroom walls.

We can bring in any furniture we want at my current school, but I guess some schools might be weird about that. It would be good to check.

I've never in my life heard of a whiteboard marker allergy, but I suppose it's possible. However, we use individual whiteboards and I use a big whiteboard on the wall all the time, so I imagine someone with an allergy would have just as much trouble with what I already do as they would with a table painted with whiteboard paint. There are so many different kinds of whiteboard markers, and some don't smell anything like Expos - Crayolas come to mind. I find it hard to believe that there are people who are allergic to every single kind of whiteboard markers...

I've toyed with this idea, myself, but I haven't done it yet. I'm still not sure if I will. I've been using individual whiteboards up to this point.