White wine for cooking

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TamiJ, Oct 29, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2011

Is there any white wine that is best when used for cooking? I tend to not make recipes that call for white wine because I am never sure which wine to choose (plus, I can't always afford wine here). But, I am creating my weekly dinner menu and am very interested in making a dish that calls for white wine (it doesn't say any specific one), so does anyone have any suggestions? Or, does any white wine go?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 29, 2011

I buy a white wine --whatever kind is available--in the small one person bottle. I usually use about 1/2 in the dish, then keep the rest in the refrigerator until I throw it away.

Buying the small bottle saves a lot of waste.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2011

Okay, so any kind is fine. Thanks!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 29, 2011

Generally you want a dry wine rather than a sweet one. I've cooked with Sauvignon Blanc; at the moment I'm using Trader Joe's boxed chardonnay, and it's quite a good deal. In general, though, if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2011

That's what I've heard as well.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 29, 2011

The last few times I have used wine for cooking I used a not too expensive Chardonnay. In a pinch I have used Pinot Grigio.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 29, 2011

I've bought cooking wines before & used those. They usually end up sitting in my cupboard forever! I hadn't thought about buying a single serving. Might try that next time I make a recipe that calls for a red wine.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 29, 2011

In a pinch, I use apple juice.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 29, 2011

I can't buy the single serve, because that doesn't leave me enough to enjoy while my dish is cooking! :lol:

Go with the cheapest one you would still drink. For me, that's pretty cheap...:rofl:...Boone's Farm?

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2011

My wife has a magnet on the refrig......

"I cook with wine........ and sometimes I put in in the food."

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 30, 2011

That's one of my favorite sayings :lol:

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

White wine...I use a Chardonnay
    Red wine...a Cabernet or merlot

I only use wine for cooking that I drink...and I always have a bottle on hand. Don't use 'cooking wine'...it doesnt taste good, has salts and other ingredients in it and as it cooks down the flavors concentrate. If you don't drink wine or don't like wine, chicken or veg broth is a good substitute. The alcohol content cooks off, so you don't have to worry about that.

14. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 30, 2011

I am not a wine drinker, so I can't say if a wine is good or not (they all taste like versions of cat pee), however, I LOVE cooking with wines. I use reds and whites all the time, and have Marsala, Port, and Sherry on hand also. For recipes that call for whites, I only use a souvignon blanc. I have tried chardonnay, but to me it doesn't create as balanced a flavor as the souvignon blanc. I tend to go for a $8 bottle of wine, like Chateau St. Michelle, Turning Leaf, or my favorite Sutter Home. If the recipe calls for a red, I use a cabernet souvignon. Again, Sutter Home is my favorite, but if I can't find it Chateau St. Michelle and Turning Leaf are my next choices. Like the white wine, I think the flavors of a cabernet souvignon balance really well in a marinade and in red pasta sauces.

I do buy the full bottles, cork them well after opening the bottle, and keep them in the refrigerator. I can make a bottle of wine last a few months and I can't detect any changes in flavor over time (probably because I cook with it, not drink it). I read an article last week discussing the quality of cooking wine. The food author said that an $8-10 bottle/box of wine is just as good as a $30 bottle of wine for cooking. The author said that you should, however, save the good wine for drinking and cook with the lesser quality stuff because you're simply looking for the fruity flavors in the wine in a dish, rather than the complex flavors when drinking it. Again, it all tastes like cat pee to me when I drink it plain, but it is heavenly in food.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 30, 2011

How do you know what cat pee tastes like???!!!

Just kidding. A good option is to find a winery and ask for recommendations, or some large grocery stores have wine tastings-ask around there.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

It's not only the 'fruity' flavors one is looking for in wine...there are buttery, oaky notes in good chardonnays and Cabs can have a peppery or vanilla tone. Not having ever tasted cat pee, I can't comment on those particular flavors you are detecting, ranch.:spitwater:

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2011

Most of the purpose for putting wine in food is chemical, not taste. I would not spend a lot of money for wine to cook with - whatever is in the box is good for me.

18. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Oct 30, 2011

Turning Leaf is the nastiest wine I have ever drank. Blech! For cooking, I use the individual bottles, and save the good stuff for drinking.

19. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Oct 31, 2011

Since I live in Italy now, I have lots of wine options. The Italian grocery stores sell wine in boxes that almost look like my children's juice boxes. I joked with my children that they weren't allowed to accidentally take that to school with them! Most recipes say white wine OR chicken broth. I usually just go for the chicken broth.