White stuff

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChristyF, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 7, 2008

We were in the middle of iLEAP (state test) review and our principal came on and let us know that there was heavy mix of rain and snow if we wanted to let our kids see it. (Most of our kids have never seen snow.) Of course we all headed to the nearest window. They were so excited!!:woot: (Ok, so was I!) It's slacked off, but we have more headed our way this afternoon. It won't be enough to shut us down, but should be pretty heavy. This evening it should be just snow. My boy from Colorado just sat there grinning at us like we were crazy. :lol:

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 7, 2008

What? So that is what snow looks like? Wow! It is a white Christmas.

I know. I remember when I first moved up to Maryland from Texas and saw a snow flurry in NOVEMBER and was in AWE. I had to call my husband and tell him to get the kids by the window. I had seen snow before but it is something that transforms the child in us all.

4. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

Cool :) I'd be very glad to see snow! But it looks like it's warming up around here enough that we won't get the chance again this year :(

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2008

Christy, that must be the system that dumped snow on us yesterday. I'm sure that boy was laughing on the inside!

cng, DH lived in Maryland for 4 years after living in Texas his whole life. His first winter there was a memorable one for sure!

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Mar 7, 2008

We are expecting over a foot of snow over the next couple of days and my school was closed today. However, I slept through my rapid response call and got up and started getting ready for school. I figured that since the snow would be coming in the afternoon, we would only be going home early. I turned on the TV for the forecast and saw that we were totally closed.:eek:hmy: I ended up getting ready and ran to school and made my copies for next week before it got bad. I can really enjoy my three day weekend now that I know I won't have to fight the Monday morning copy line! Of course this is our sixth snow day, we only get five, so we will be going to school an extra day this year!

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 7, 2008

My nephew is at Fort Leonard Wood (Marine Corps) in Missouri. He has had all the snow he has ever wanted. He now hates the stuff. Of course they don't get to go out and play in it and still have to do all their stuff in it!

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

I think we were the only district in Ohio that didn't close or dismiss early today.:down: My 25 minute drive took over an hour, but at least I made it home safely.

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

Everything shut down about an hour early around here. But, even leaving early, my 25 minute drive took an hour. Now, we are settled in for the weekend.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 7, 2008

We had a snow day today because they expected it to snow. It finally started at noon, and we got a grand total of 1/2 an inch. As somebody who grew up in the north, where snow is normal, I thought it was crazy we were out of school--especially since we now have to make the day up, whereas if we went and lasted until noon, the whole day would've counted. :(

11. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

We got out two hours early, but teachers had to stay until all of the kids left. This took us almost up to the regular dismissal time because the buses were running so late. They did left the teachers with longer drives leave right after the first kids. Kids were leaving early all day though. It was CRAZY!!! We may have a blizzard tonight.

12. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

The weather is the BIG news of the day here! The snow is supposed to come in "waves" through tomorrow. We have already had the first wave and got about three inches. The next wave will come overnight - with five to eight inches. The last wave will come tomorrow - with three to five more inches. So, we could end up with around a foot of snow.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 7, 2008

It started snowing here (SE Arkansas) about 9:00 and is still snowing pretty hard (7:30). We dismissed at 12:30 so it counted as a day. Kids were mesmerized!

14. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Mar 7, 2008

We are now officially in a BLIZZARD warning because of the drifting snow. To think it was 72 during my recess duty earlier this week! I AM SO OVER THE SNOW!

15. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2008

AHHH! I am sooo sick of snow !! We are expected to get 2 feet of snow when all is said and done! YUCK!! We just got a horrible ice storm that left 2 inches of ice on my car!

..where is spring ????

16. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Mar 7, 2008

Spring type weather needs to hurry here! I've got two week until Spring Break, and if I'm staying in Ohio, there needs to be NO SNOW!

17. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

Both teachers and kiddos had noses pressed to windows here yesterday for the snow. It was a beautiful sight in TX- even if it didn't last a whole day. :D It was a joy to watch about 1000 kids race like track stars for the doors at the final bell and start snowball fighting outside. They were crazed, but it was worth it. :lol: