White elephant gift?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Missy, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 8, 2012

For our staff holiday party we are supposed to bring a white elephant gift. We have done this before, and some people bring something nice (think bottle of wine or gift card) and others bring some trashy thing just laying around the house that didn't get to Goodwill yet.

What are your suggestions? Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2012

I would bring something that I myself wanted to receive. Maybe a box of chocolates, a holiday candle, a hot chocolate gift set, or a giftcard to the movies or Starbucks.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2012

We do this. It was always fun to include a "trashy" gift, but add something nice with it. This year I have a Christmas item for the wall, a CD of Christmas music (which is kind of a gag because it's Elvis,) and a tin of good cookies.
    Last year I made a toilet plunger into a Christmas decoration all wrapped in lights and glitter. No one wanted it! I wonder why!

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 8, 2012

And that's the gift that will probably come back! We did this a couple of years ago. It was suppose to be something you had at home that you didn't want any more.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2012

Never heard of this. Could someone explain?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2012

Each participant supplies one wrapped and unlabeled gift. Participants determine in what order they will take turns choosing gifts. The first person opens a wrapped gift and the turn ends. The second person gets the choice of “stealing” any unwrapped item or choosing a wrapped one from the gift pile. If the second person steals the gift from the first person, then the first person can choose a replacement gift from the pile of wrapped presents....

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2012

Thank you.

Sounds like Dirty Santa, at least how we play it. I would give a gift I'd like to get. My sister got a used VHS tape, no cover sleeve, of some old cartoon. She had given a nice gift.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2012

I've heard it called Yankee Swap.:blush:

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 8, 2012

I am going to a Dirty Santa party in 2 weeks. The limit is $10 but I'm going to try to find something nice.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 8, 2012

I'm going to a party with a white elephant exchange next week. I'm thinking of bringing this ceramic christmas box I have and filling it with candy. It's actually pretty cute but I just don't really have anywhere to put it out for decoration. If you're doing true "white elephant" it really is supposed to be something silly from around the house...the people going out and buying nice things are the ones actually not following the rules!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2012

Grammy... I have an Elvis CD... I love it...LOL!!!

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2012

I was madly in love with Elvis way back when! The reason it was kind of a gag gift is because most of the staff are pretty young and hardly know who Elvis is! However, one lady was very happy to get it!

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2012

White elephant gift means something you do not spend any money. You give something in your home that you longer use...or never used. Last year I received new candles that had been stored in a wram place and thus all out of shape. A friend got a broken vacuum with the bag still full...YUCK yet HILARIOUS by all.

15. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2012

I went to this kind of party a few years ago and was the ONLY one to bring a "bad" gift. I think it only works to bring truly bad gifts if there will be a large enough crowd to make it funny. So if its a small party, bring a "nice" bad gift that someone might actually like.

16. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Dec 9, 2012

We are doing a white elephant gift exchange at work and I am bringing a musical Santa that I no longer use or want. When you push the button the Santa swings around and his butt begins to move around to the music.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 9, 2012

That is too funny! I usually give something nicer like a basket of cheese and a couple wine glasses or a table decoration. One year I wrapped a fruitcake, and a few people were actually fighting over who got it. They all wanted it!