White Board verses Chalk Board???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by februarybaby2856, Jul 3, 2006.

1. februarybaby2856

februarybaby2856 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

Since I haven't taught in 25 years, getting back into the classroom again has alot of new things for me! Among them....white boards instead of chalk boards.

Without sounding too ancient , could someone tell me if they prefer working with these boards? I know that it looks great...colorful, etc....but, after using them for awhile, are they still better than chalk?

Thanks!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

I love not being covered in chalk dust all day...no more handprints on my black pants and chalk lines across my behind from leaning on the ledge!

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

The only negative thing I can think of is the cost of dry-erase markers vs chalk. I would take a white board over a chalk board any day.

5. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

Eww no more scratching nails on the chalkboard, or chalk squeeking which makes my teeth hurt. No erasers to pound, and no chalk dust to sneeze from!

6. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Definitely whiteboards!

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

Whiteboards! The only thing I like about chalkboards is that it leaves a trace on the student that erases something without permission that I had written down :).

8. ms.smith

ms.smith New Member

Jul 3, 2006

I have white boards in my room and do prefer them instead of chalkboards. They aren't as messy to clean as chalkboards, and you can use different colors to make certain words, phrases, etc, "stand out." I have noticed that some colors do not wipe off as easily as others. You should also make sure you use the dry erase cleaner rather than ordinary household cleaners when clearing your boards so the finish doesn't come off!

9. februarybaby2856

februarybaby2856 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

Okay!!! You have convinced me!!! Thanks!!!

I'm officially convinced...guess it will just take some getting used to! I just thought that it seemed easier grabbing a piece of chalk and writing...rather than using two hands to uncap the marker.

(Does that sound lazy, or what?)

10. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

I understand what your saying februarybaby. I did my student teaching in first grade this past spring semester and we only had whiteboards, which I've never really used. It was a little frustrating, at the beginning when I was trying to write something down quick on the board and having to uncap and cap the dry-erase markers. I just felt very clumsy. It took a while to get used to it, but in the end I was pretty good at getting what I wanted up there and being able to make the important parts stand out.

11. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

the only negative things that i notice about whiteboards is the cost (as someone mentioned already) and they always seem to be low on ink when you need 'em. so be sure to have plenty extras!

25 years out of teaching? wow, i'd be wanting to retire after that. lol. welcome back. i just got my first classroom! it has a "smartboard" which is very nice. it's hard to explain, but it's a computer that shoots any image onto a screen on the board. you can also use special "markers" to write on it. it's amazing! hopefully it'll be a great tool instead of a nightmare though.

good luck on a great year!
    LC

12. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

I am a whiteboard fan as well! :) The one negative that I can think of (aside from cost) is it is harder for me to teach cursive writing on a whiteboard versus chalkboard.

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 3, 2006

whiteboards are wonderful...anyone ever notice that the Crayola dustless chalk is extrememly dust-FULL!?

14. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

I love whiteboards!! I can't say enough good things about them.

15. februarybaby2856

februarybaby2856 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

Do you ever get marker on your back?

Do you find that you bump into the board and transfer marker onto your clothes? Does it wash easily?

Thanks....

16. februarybaby2856

februarybaby2856 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

I taught two years then "retired" to raise my children and be a Pastor's Wife. Now, I am ready to teach again...full steam ahead!!!

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

The only way marker gets on your clothes is if you write on yourself. You could wipe the marker off of the whiteboard with your fingers and it leaves no trace.

18. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

I now have metal backed whiteboards and it has been great. Previously I had horribly worn chalkboards and whiteboard backed with particle board. Using magnets on my new board is great.

19. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

Don't you just LOVE your smartboard?

20. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

i haven't officially used mine yet, but i've used others. i think they are amazing. luckily all the classrooms in my building have them! crazy for a small district with only one elementary school. i would think the bigger districts would have them before the small ones.

i'm excited to really get into using it though.
    LC

21. JPMc

JPMc Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

Do you like the smell of the markers? Are any of your students colorblind and can't see the colors of the pens? Both chalk and markers can be bad for students with allergies.
    I like my chalk and chalkboard because I am so allergic to the markers. Also, I have a son who is colorblind and could not always see what teachers wrote unless they used certain colors. I guess it depends on how you feel....