Whistlers & Hummers

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by azure, May 15, 2010.

1. azure

azure Companion

May 15, 2010

Anybody have any tricks on how to catch and or deal with whistlers and hummers who do it to annoy, but only when the sub isn't looking. I've tried ignoring it, thinking that they'll stop if it's not getting a rise out of me. If I say, "Who's ever humming, please stop it," it only seems to get worse. The best thing seems to be if another student is annoyed by it and says, "Tell Bobby to stop humming," but most times the other students won't tell you who's doing it.

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 15, 2010

I walk around the room constantly. Even if the humming/whistling continues (after you've passed by), it's easier to locate the offender if you hear it from different angles.

Last year, I kept hearing very faint music in one classroom. It was in a high school and students are allowed to listen to mp3 players, but I could hear the music and the girl (from whom it seemed to be coming) wasn't wearing any earphones. I kept stopping and listening as I walked by her and she kept acting like nothing was amiss. I finally figured out she had her cell phone hidden underneath her leg and the music was coming from it. She had it hidden because students aren't supposed to have their cell phones out during class. Since she was just listening to music, I didn't take her cell phone from her (although I could have). I just told her to put it away.

4. Little Monster

Little Monster Rookie

May 15, 2010

Zap the class. I sub only elementary, but when this sort of thing happens I just mark down the whole class... normally it involves taking some time away from recess or something that the class really wants to do. Funny how quick the class turns on the trouble maker. I feel bad for the kids that really are behaving but at the same time I cannot allow disruptive behavior in the classroom. The minute that I might take away from the recess will result in a better learning environment for the rest of the day.

5. fratermus

fratermus Companion

May 16, 2010

Agreed, triangulate.

Move around the room, not making it obvious what you are doing. You'll catch them. A discreet "shhh" look once you catch their eyes generally suffices.

6. Subber

Subber Companion

May 16, 2010

Tell the students rom the area where the whistling comes from that if you can't figure out who's doing it and they'd tell you who it was, you'd mark them as responsible as well. Of course, you would need to have a way of identifying them. If it's high school or higher grade middle school, I usually let them write their names in a sign-in sheet in the order of the seats in the classroom. I labeled numbers next to their names so that when I write comments, I either write next to their names or or just use the number and write at the bottom area or on another paper since it's shorter to write. If they move after signing in the sheets, I keep track of where they move - only a few highschoolers have done that but I am too quick for them to get away. Yes, one has to be observing them, paying attention to what's happening in the classroom while taking the Sign-in sheets from one desk to another. I do not let the Sign-in sheet passed around; I let one perosn write only one name.

The way I set up the Sign in sheets also shows the layout of the desks in the classroom. I made it so that they too can notice as they sign in. Some have moved once they notcied the layout though I'd told them in advance about my sign-in sheets. Some middle schoolershad to see it for themselves to believe it, I guess:)

7. Subber

Subber Companion

May 16, 2010

I have done the same thing but not that it was being hidden, The boys were so quick to hide but after I figured out on my own who it was that repeated doing that, he gets referral. This one high school I subbed is really with security showing up quickly.

8. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 16, 2010

If I'm having whole class issues, or I'm not sure who did something I always tell the class that I will tell their teacher about the behavior issue. The only type of class this doesn't work for is very lax high school classrooms. (The ones where you get a two sentence lesson plan for a three day sub job.:D Although, that job wasn't too bad though, it was just boring.)

I find that this works for 99% of the classes I sub in, I also use positive motivation. For example: "I love how the students at the front tables are working so quietly on their assignment. I'll make sure to let Ms. Smith know in my note."

Also, as mentioned by the other posters, I walk a lot. :) Something always seems to happen during those few sweet moments I rest my feet. :D So I try to not sit down too much.

9. Subber

Subber Companion

May 17, 2010

Make it "Tell the students from the area where the whistling comes from that if you can't figure out who's doing it and they'd NOT tell you who it was ..."

10. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 17, 2010

After two years of subbing and/or student teaching, I have to say walking around the room and taking time to look at each student individually as I do has easily been the most effective classroom management technique I've used - especially as a sub. It's amazing the impact this has on the kids.

I've mentioned the HS Biology class I subbed for a few weeks ago (in which one of the students had just met President Obama a few days before). I subbed in that class again Friday. During one of the classes, I had to ask a neighboring teacher to watch the class while I went to the restroom. When I came back, he was chuckling and said the first thing they said to him after I walked out was "Why does that dude always walk around the classroom when he's here?" Another set of students in the same HS told their regular teacher they didn't want me as a sub anymore. When the teacher asked "Why not?", they said "Because he watched us like a hawk and made us show him all the work we had done." They didn't realize they could not have given me a better recommendation. :lol:

When I subbed at the alternative school for the first time, one HS girl finally looked at me and said "Don't you EVER sit down? I wish you would sit at your desk for a little while." I said "Does it make you nervous when I walk around like that?" "YEAH, it does." she said. I gave her a big smile and said "THAT'S why I do it." :D

On a side note, there was one girl in that class that did get VERY nervous anytime I walked behind her (the students were in the computer lab). I noticed she constantly shifted to keep me in her line of sight. Realizing a lot of these kids have some very bad home lives, I approached her from the side and asked "It really bothers you when I go behind you, doesn't it?" She said "Yes. I don't like anyone standing behind me." I apologized for making her nervous and promised I would NOT walk directly behind her anymore. I would always stand to the side where she could see me.

The first student just didn't want me seeing what she was doing on the computer. The second student always did her work and wasn't trying to hide any of her activity, but it obviously made her extremely uncomfortable for someone to be directly behind her, so I adjusted my pattern to accommodate that.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2010

That is one of the most perceptive, kindest things I've ever read here!