Whisper phones

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissAnt, Aug 14, 2010.

1. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I'd really love a classroom set of whisper phones but as a new teacher I know I can't afford to buy a set. Have you ever made your own? I'd love details!

If you haven't made them but use them, how do you have your students use them?

During student teaching my students used them for quiet partner reading but I'd think they'd be even more useful during independent reading.

3. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 14, 2010

I was going to ask this same question. interested to hear answers

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

I made my own.....we had just installed a sprinkler system so we had the adhesieve and the other purpple stuff..
    I got a long piece of pvc pipe and enough elbow joints....It wasn't too pricey...way better than buying a set of pre made phones!

5. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Aug 14, 2010

Mine were made from pvc pipe. The ends were curved joint peices of pvc pipe. Very easy and innexpensive to make. Just get a long peice of pvc and cut into smaller peices (the part they hold on to) then glue the corner joints on with pvc compound. I'm sure the local harware store will even cut the pipe for you! Good luck!

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 14, 2010

I found some in my classroom. Tried to use them with my kids but all they did was take them apart and play with them....

7. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I made some for my classroom. The students use them when reading to themselves and when practicing sounds. My students with speech articulation problems use them alot. It helps them to hear the sounds they are saying more clearly. I also have loud readers use them, because if they are too loud it will hurt their ears instead of interupting other students. I use them all the time and really like them. I use them in my guided reading groups at first too. This way they only hear themselves reading instead of hearing each other.

Mine are made from PVC pipe as well. It is a short piece with two corner pieces.

8. UNCKinder

UNCKinder Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

My first year of teaching I was lucky and my TA's husband was a plumber. Whenever he had extra supplies he would make a few "reading phones". Students used them to help them hear sounds. Maybe a way to help prevent students from playing with them instead of reading would be to take a lot of time to model appropriate behaviors and make the "phones" seem very important so students try to do the correct thing. I know the first year I did NOT spend enough time on correct usage! It was a problem all year!

9. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 15, 2010

I have made my own. I just went to the hardware store and bought the PVC pipe and joints. They were really easy to make.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 15, 2010

I have 5 in my room. Our sped department bought them for me. I just make them available to any kids who want to use them. Some use them for tests, some use them for reading, and a few use them in math to talk out the problems as they solve them. We are working on making it so that some of my sped kids can use them on the LEAP test, but so far we haven't been able to make it work, so that's hard. They get used to relying on them in class, but can't use them on the high stakes test.

11. NewNCTeach

NewNCTeach Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

PVC pipes for sure! Easy and inexpensive.

12. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

I think you have all convinced me. I'm going to attempt to make my own. My dad works in a hardware store so maybe I can convince him to get the supplies I need. Thank you for all your feedback.

13. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

I have never heard of whisper phones, and all of you are making them sound so magical! Are they just phones you make to give to the students so the students can whisper to themselves instead of talking out loud or thinking silently as they read/do math?

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

Basically, when a student whispers into the phone, it makes it so that they can hear themselves. Only they are able to hear themselves talk. It is very nice for reading to oneself, but also works great for editing! I love to have my students read their written work in the phones when they are working on revising or editing. Helps them to find words they missed, sometimes periods, and definitely confusing sentences or missed ideas!

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 15, 2010

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 15, 2010

My husband is the ag teacher. He had his shop boys make them. I bought a large pvc pipe and a bag of L connectors. I took them to his class and they did it. Call your shop or ag teacher and ask them. They might do it for you.

17. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

mopar & FourSquare-Thanks! I can really see this helping out a lot!