WHINING!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ash_sk8s, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Oct 10, 2011

I need some advice from my fellow preschool teachers! We all know whining comes with the territory to some degree, but I have one kid (3 years old) who is the WORST!!!

- Someone has a toy he wants: he whines
    - He hits someone who then in turn does something to him: he whines
    - He's asked to leave the computer because the timer went off so it is another friend's turn: he whines
    - He needs to leave circle time/sit down because he's misbehaving: he whines

You get the picture. It's constant, every day. Definitely seems like this is how he gets his way at home. Doesn't seem like anything I try to do works. Any tips for curbing the constant whining?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2011

"I'm sorry, children who use that tone of voice don't get ANYTHING they ask for." Stick to it consistently - no exceptions and the whining will disappear - it will get worse for awhile, but it does work.

4. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Oct 11, 2011

Trust me, he gets nothing when he whines. I walk away from it. We talk all the time about how there is no whining in preschool. It doesn't seem to be getting any better though!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 11, 2011

Here's what I say and I works miracles for me. I simply say I can't understand/hear you when you talk like that. Can you use a voice I can understand/hear better? (or Can you use your normal voice?).

Kids want to be heard. If they keep going, keep repeating in the same voice that is sort of monotone but at the same time says gee I would really like to hear what you have to say. If only I could.

6. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Oct 11, 2011

That makes me smile :)

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 11, 2011

Yep, I say the same thing Cutnglue.......it does work. You have to make SURE that your body isn't giving away that you are annoyed. Not one smidge. Poker face and body. Not mad or cold, just not changing. If you said he needed to rotate, say it, move him...send him to somewhere where the new guy can not hear him and continue on. If he is working without whining EVER comment in a pleased tone that you love what he is doing and bend down and talk for a second. He will switch to whining and you say "Oh, darn I was really liking our talk, but now I can't understand you again."

8. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Oct 11, 2011

Wow, you sound like you are my co-teacher...only our whiner is a girl! Today the timer for the computer went off..."Waaaa!" I said, "Next time you whine when your turn is over, you will not have another turn." Then I said, "1, 2..." The whining stopped before I got to three and she went and happily played in another center. I usually tell her to speak in a normal voice because I don't understand when you are crying and whining. They usually get it.