Whining About Final Exams

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Dec 17, 2007

I made a big mistake the other day- I told my high school juniors and seniors that their final exams were going to be 16 pages each. I have the juniors for government and the seniors for basic US History.

Being the small school that we are, the word was out like wildfire, and now everyone is freaked out about the exams. I've done my best to calm the madness; I'm letting them make a cheat sheet as well as study their past tests in preparation for the exams.

I know I let the word out too early about the exams, but the whining just will not stop! I don't think I've ever heard this many complaints in such a short amount of time.

Definitely a rookie mistake that I will never make again!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2007

I would tell them the next time that they came in, that because of all the whining that I had added to the test so it was longer.....that's just me though :)

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2007

I think every time they whined I would just say 17! 18! 19! until they figured it out. ha.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 17, 2007

High school kids (all kids of all ages, really) are going to whine no matter *what*! Three pages, 16 pages, 30 pages... they're still going to complain. It's part of being a teen. As long as your test is valid and really *needs* to be that long, don't sweat it.

You might also want to explain that mathematically, they should be grateful for the teacher that gives a big comprehensive exam.

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2007

Make it one question An Essay Question! Require 5 sheets of paper single spaced both sides! and tell them "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!"

7. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Dec 18, 2007

It went totally fine today- of course, it was much ado about nothing. As soon as the kids got the tests, they quickly realized that 70% of the questions were from their previous tests this semester that I had let them study the night before!

8. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Dec 19, 2007

Amen! My anatomy kiddos whine if there is multiple choice, whine if there are essays, whine if there's not..... you can't win. So don't try.

9. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Dec 21, 2007

My 8th graders whined yesterday about having to take a quiz and read an 8-page chapter of The Giver on their last day before break. According to them, I was the only teacher in the building who made anyone do any work, and everyone else showed movies.:whistle: