Whine: Why can't I just teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach_each1, Oct 13, 2008.

1. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

All I want to do is teach. Just come in, see where my kids are and move them forward, is that too much. I'm fustruated with our curriculum and pacing map-apparently my kids missed the meeting where they learned how fast they'd have to master something before we moved on. I'm being told we can't stop and go back-don't worry-they'll pick it up when we spiral around again. But when we spiral back around I'll be teaching it at a deeper depth and they still won't get it.

Arrg! I have no time to add in extra practice (not that I can use "non" curriculum stuff anyway).

Okay...vent over. I have two wonderful boys and a class that is giving me their all-things could be worse

3. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

Boy oh boy, I don't envy you at all! What a shame that they get so wrapped up in their curriculum mapping that they forget that all kids learn at different paces. I might be able to breeze through repeating patterns in half the time of my cur. map, but then I might have to slow down on counting money, or telling time. I hope you can figure something out to make it easier! Good luck!

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2008

I agree...I feel like I do so much testing to see where the kids needs help (all that data based instruction) and then pre-testing and then re-testing that there is no real time for teaching the way it should be! I'm all for showing growth, but really, when we test all the time how can we help them grow? And like you said, if all the kids learn at a different pace, why is it that we have to keep chugging on when some of the kids will be lost????:dizzy:

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2008

Amen teach!