While looking for teaching jobs,I want to apply to other jobs, need help w/ resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peachyness, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

So, while looking for teaching jobs, I would like to also apply to non teaching jobs (subbing is not my cup of tea, and would like to avoid it if possible). I have my part time homeschool position, but it's only 1.5 days a week.

So, I found some jobs on craiglist I would like to apply to, but I don't know how to tailor my resume to fit their job (most of them customer service related jobs).

Any ideas? Help? Advice??

I've only held teaching type jobs ever, except for one year I worked as an avon rep in high school while working as a student aide at the school.

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 12, 2011

Customer service is all about prudence and people skills so show how your interpersonal abilities would fit their needs.

In your objective, tell them what you will accomplish as an employee of theirs. Make a special skills section in your resume showing off your interpersonal abilities/accomplishments as a teacher.

There's not a whole lot more you can customize besides that.

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 12, 2011

Have you tried subbing? I thought that I would hate it and I have had some days where I did but overall, I enjoy it and it keeps my foot in the door. There are some hard days but the good thing about it is you don't ever have to go back to that class if you don't want to. It doesn't get boring either. Everyday is something new and you never really know what you might end up doing. Everyday is an adventure! I just finished my second year of subbing and I made pretty good money too.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

Joy, after teaching for 6 years, I have no desire to go back and sub. It's just a decision that I made. I am a routine and procedure girl and going from classroom to classroom is extremely stressful for me. I did it for a bit in between jobs for a month and I hated it.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2011

Highlight your parent and student communication. Maybe using surveys and assessments to meet the needs of your students. Sending out parent newsletters or emails.