While I am in temporary housing can my kid stay in same school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SeaNile31, Dec 11, 2013.

1. SeaNile31

SeaNile31 New Member

Dec 11, 2013

Here is the situation. We have an offer on our home and the home we want to buy won't be listed till mid March or early April. The home we will buy is in the same school district, same elementary school, etc but between the time we sell our current home and move into the new home there will be about a 2-3 month gap. There is no temporary housing or even apartments within the school district so we are looking at short term (3 month lease) housing that is outside of our current district. My questions is can my son stay in his school since we are moving within the school district but our temporary housing is outside the boundaries? I am OK with driving and picking up from school and not relying on school transportation.

I know if I have a signed agreement of sale on the home I want to buy I have 120 days to goto settlement but the current owner of the home is not ready to list yet.

Any advice? I'm really looking at 3 months maximum in temporary housing till I am back into the district.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 11, 2013

Different places have different policies. My two suggestions are on absolute opposite ends of the spectrum though... either talk to administration, explain the situation, and hope they'll understand... or don't say a word or change your address, train your son not to say where he lives, and play dumb if you're caught. Talking to administration will be much more productive if you have something in writing showing that you will be back before the end of the school year (or... more to the point... before state standardized testing).

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 11, 2013

I think you should talk to admin. I remember when my daughter was in middle school, we moved in the middle of the school year to a different district area. All I had to do was to fill out a district transfer (from her new district, where she was supposed to go), or some other paperwork, indicating that her going to a new school now would cause hardship, which would have. It's not easy on a kid to just leave everything. There was no problem.
    I'm sure there is something like that you could do, especially if your situation is only temp.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

In my district you wouldn't be allowed to stay on the idea that there's a home you 'want to buy'...it's not on the market yet and there's no guarantee the house will end up as yours.:sorry: could be different in your district, though, so check.

6. SeaNile31

SeaNile31 New Member

Dec 11, 2013

I agree it's challenging because the home is not listed yet.

We are really involved with the school, wife is homeroom mom, runs fundraising activities, goes on all trips, our son has won a few awards, numerous student of the month awards, etc.

I know it all comes down to the timing on the homes but without a contract I feel stuck.

Wouldn't be an issue at all if the home was listed, or would be listed before the settlement date of my current home.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

Can you rent back your house from the new owner until the end of school year/close of potential new house?

8. SeaNile31

SeaNile31 New Member

Dec 11, 2013

Can't rent back as the new owners want in asap. They want Jan 31 settlement.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 11, 2013

If your student/family is that valued by the community, I could definitely imagine an administrator bending the rules to allow you to stay in the district temporarily, particularly if (sigh...) your son is likely to outscore the district average on state tests.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

In my district you would just have to fill out a form called a "zone variance" and the principal would need to approve it. I don't see why a principal wouldn't approve it, as long as the student isn't a habitual discipline problem.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 11, 2013

I know of a similar situation in which the administrator declined to bend, but the middle school in question was "impacted" - had more students wanting to attend than it had space for - so it wasn't accepting transfers from out of district.

If the school in question is full to bursting, you may have a problem. If it isn't, the school administration is likelier to be willing to cut you some slack.

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2013

I'd go in and ask. My school district even allows parents to pay tuition to send their kids to school (about $12k/year, I think, which would be a really good deal on private school in the area).
    We didn't have our house until a month or so after the school year started, but were able to send our kids to the school with the warning that if we didn't move in, we'd have to pay. Fortunately, we moved in and everything was fine.

That's if you choose to tell the school. I'd also point out there's a number of things that would delay a school from actually kicking your kid out if you don't tell them: even if they found out with absolute certainty today that you didn't live in the district, it would be a minimum of 25 days and a rather involved process to get him out of the school. There's an appeal, they have to send you notices in potentially multiple languages, etc. Before the appeal hearing your son would have to be allowed to attend school. So as a practical matter you don't have to make it a full three months.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 11, 2013

Check the policies of the district. They usually have them online.

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 11, 2013

What state are you in?

15. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 11, 2013

I agree that it REALLY depends on the district, school, etc. In my previous district, there was no chance whatsoever. My current school leaves a little more leeway, especially because the schools are so crowded and there may not be another one to accept the student. If it's only for about 2 months, do you have to tell the school? With mail forwarding set up through the post office, does it really matter in the short term? I'm not an expert in this area, so there may be consequences I'm not aware of, I guess.

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 12, 2013

I agree with TG.

Personally, I think I would make a call to District Office asking the hypothetical question of what might happen in a predicament similar to yours... If you can stay, then fill out the necessary paperwork. If not, keep quiet.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 12, 2013

When I moved back from overseas, I was staying in a hotel. I knew what area of town I wanted to rent a house because my kids wanted to go back to the same schools with the same friends they knew before. It was difficult to convince the school district that I WILL find a house to rent in those areas. They did end up granting me the zone variance but I had to do some convincing. Guess where I ended up? I actually am in the exact same neighborhood I lived in before I moved overseas! It's literally a street over!

18. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 12, 2013

Just don't say anything.

19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 12, 2013

Gosh around here some don't say anything and just bring them on anyway. Others that usually ride the bus end up changing schools. They are supposed to go to the school they are zoned for unless their parents work in whatever school.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 12, 2013

In my district, you'd fill out a brief form to called "Waiver to Finish the School Year."

A site administrator can approve/deny the request.

21. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 13, 2013

I wouldn't say anything at all.