Which would you take?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ChemTeachBHS, May 17, 2013.

  1. ChemTeachBHS

    ChemTeachBHS Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    Messages:
    352
    Likes Received:
    15

    May 17, 2013

    So my husband got offered a job but hasn't signed his contract yet. He's supposed to go sign next week. Well today he got offered another job and is torn about which one to take. Which would you take?

    Job A: One he planned to sign a contract with.
    Catholic School, teaching Spanish and Computers, 40 mins from home, new computer lab, better area. He will also be in charge of the after school art program.

    Job B:
    Charter school in its final year of the probationary period, teaching computers, 30 mins from home, 4 year old computers, poor area. Pays about $4k more.
     
  2.  
  3. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    May 17, 2013

    I'd take Job A because the after school program money will probably make up for the money difference and it's a newer lab. Plus the charter school could have issues next year...the lack of potential job security would worry me.
     
  4. elateacher4life

    elateacher4life Cohort

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Messages:
    687
    Likes Received:
    0

    May 17, 2013

    It seems like a win-win situation. I would take Job B-more money and closer to home.
     
  5. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,958
    Likes Received:
    2,110

    May 17, 2013

    Will after school pay from A outweigh or equal 4k from B?
     
  6. JustMe

    JustMe Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Messages:
    7,946
    Likes Received:
    3

    May 17, 2013

    That after school program could be A LOT of work. He's also teaching two subjects. And it's a longer drive. I'd probably go for B assuming I like the charter in general.
     
  7. ChemTeachBHS

    ChemTeachBHS Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    Messages:
    352
    Likes Received:
    15

    May 17, 2013

    Potentially, depending on how many kids sign up.
     
  8. ChemTeachBHS

    ChemTeachBHS Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    Messages:
    352
    Likes Received:
    15

    May 17, 2013

    It's an after school art program twice a week for 1.5 hours each session. He currently does this same program at his current school.
     
  9. ChemTeachBHS

    ChemTeachBHS Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    Messages:
    352
    Likes Received:
    15

    May 17, 2013

    This is my main concern too. There is no guarantee that they will remain open after next year. We both know that in NJ for every great charter school there are 3 terrible ones that usually close pretty quickly.
     
  10. JustMe

    JustMe Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Messages:
    7,946
    Likes Received:
    3

    May 17, 2013

    Oh, got it. I thought it was THE after school program.
     
  11. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    May 17, 2013

    I know Christie is big on charters, but you never know. Has he looked into the charter school to see how it's done so far? 10 mins difference in a commute doesn't matter too much. I'd be looking at the area surrounding the school, the pay, and the job security.
     
  12. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    May 17, 2013

    Is he Catholic? That would be a factor for many people.

    I'd probably take B, more money plus the fact that it is closer will save extra gas money as well.
     
  13. teacherintexas

    teacherintexas Maven

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Messages:
    5,280
    Likes Received:
    748

    May 17, 2013

    I would pick A.
     
  14. ChemTeachBHS

    ChemTeachBHS Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    Messages:
    352
    Likes Received:
    15

    May 19, 2013

    Thanks for the replies. DH decided to take job A for a few reasons. He's going to call both schools tomorrow and let them know.

    1) He can potentially make more money with the art program
    2) He wants to go get a PhD and the local university is a Catholic one and offers 50% tuition discounts for Catholic school educators
    3) He already agreed and wants to keep his word.
     
  15. Caesar753

    Caesar753 Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Messages:
    14,596
    Likes Received:
    2,699

    May 19, 2013

    I think that Job A was a good choice. It's the one I would have taken. I hope he enjoys his new position!
     
  16. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    May 20, 2013

    Good for him, chem! B was tempting, but I agree with his choice. :D
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. qbsenterprisesupport
Total: 335 (members: 1, guests: 309, robots: 25)
test